Big girl looking for low impact excercises

Options
I am a pretty big lady, over 300 and I have a bad back so I need to find some excercises I can do without hurting myself. keep in mind that I have never done this before. Thanks:happy:

Replies

• poc1919
    poc1919 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi Nanna! there are MANY fitness programs out there that will fit your needs:) if you want i can help you out and keep you motivated/push you when you feel like its not possible. I love helping people out and i know I can help you out.. Add me if youd like:)
  • fitguy31
    fitguy31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to avoid anything high impact. That will just cause stress on your joints. You should start off doing something low impact such as a recumbent bike or elliptical. Does walking cause stress to your knee's
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk :tongue:

I am 240 pounds and also have a bad back. I think walking is a great place to start. Just take a walk around your neighbourhood once a day, even if it's just for half an hour.
    This should get the weight-loss ball rolling, if you combine it with eating right, then when you feel comfortable, move on to other types of exercise. You will find that walking helps to stretch out your sore back too, plus the more weight you lose the less your back will hurt. Just make sure you have some good sneakers and pants (chaffing can be painful!)

Good luck and feel free to add me if you like :flowerforyou:
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    If u are just starting out, maybe just go for a walk. Nothing fast, just work into it. Or if You can get some hand weights lift while watching TV. Simple leg lifts while you sit are good too if you are new to exercise. And don't under estimate the value of simple stretching. Start slowly and work up to more exercise as u feel comfortable. Good luck!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I started at 322 lbs with 2 herniated discs. If you have access to a pool, swimming is awesome. If you have access to a gym or wish to purchase a piece of equipment, I started with an elliptical. (you'll need a high-quality one rated for your weight) Walking is low-impact and will get easier as you go along. You can also look on youtube for chair exercises (sit and be fit is one program)

the important thing is to work to your ability and to NOT give up! Your goal isn't so much to do the most you can, but to improve on what you did the day before.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Anything in the water is good for taking some of the impact out of your joints also
  • jkt122
    jkt122 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Another vote for working out in water. Even just walking in water or a beginners water aerobic class!!! Y's often offer them! It's takes the impact out of the joints. I started exercising in water when I was at my heaviest quiet a few years ago and it worked for me without injury!
  • healthybails
    Options
    Stability ball workouts are awesome and low impact as well! Even just sitting on one makes your core stronger!