I Think I'm Doing it Right

Options
cjsacto
cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
But the boyfriend keeps telling me I'm overeating. Several times a day, especially when I'm pulling things out of the fridge in the evening to find the right calories to get up to my daily goal, I hear, "You're eating AGAIN? Are you sure you're doing this right?"

I'm eating around 1700-1800 calories per day. Basically, I'm following the MFP guidelines with a 1200 calorie net goal, eating all my exercise calories back, and actually limiting how much cardio I'm doing to 500-600 burned most days so I don't have to eat more.

A few weeks ago, I was going nuts with cardio, burning over 1,000 some days and feeling like I was binging just to get to 1200 net. Before that, I wasn't eating all cals back and going nuts with cardio, and some days netted well under 400. I have now been persuaded that eating cals back works much better... after a several week stall while undereating.

I have not ignored all the other advice and have checked my calorie intake on the Fit2FatRadio.com site and Scoobysworkshop.com to check my TDEE. Basically, all the calculations indicate to me that right around 1700 is my magic number. I'm not losing super quickly but I don't see any other way to do it.

Current Strategy – MFP Calorie Deficit:
MFP Net Goal: 1200 --- assumes 850 calorie deficit from 2050 (lightly active)
Burn Daily: 500+ --- goal to exercise 60 mins daily, 500 calories minimum ttl burn
Eating Daily: 1700+ --- up to 2200+ on big exercise day – ALL exercise cals eaten.
(Typically staying under 1800)

TDEE Deficit Strategy:
BMR: 1499 --- according to fit2fatradio.com tools, at 182# and 36.9% bf per military calculator
TDEE: 2145 --- (lightly active)
TDEE - 20% = 1716 --- daily calorie goal, regardless of amt. of exercise, eat no cals back but eat a little more if hungry

Fit2FatRadio.com Strategy: As described on that website.
Projected at goal weight of 149:
TDEE: 1699 --- (sedentary)
or..... 1947 --- (lightly active)
Theory: Eat your TDEE for your goal weight starting now and for the rest of your life.
(I'm looking at sedentary because when I'm not actively concentrating on exercising, I don't move much.)

Scooby's Workshop Calculator:
TDEE: 2135 --- (light exercise)
TDEE-20%: 1708

(If you happen to check out my diary you'll see fat intake looks high, but my saturated fat is always under goal - I can see it broken down on the Android app. I still need to work on % cals from fat though, and could have more veggies, less carbs, more protein... it's a work in progress.)

Can anyone see any glaring errors? Thanks for your input.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Just that you're letting your BF make you question what you know to be correct. From your ticker it appears this is working for you and you appear to have done research on this. Keep up the good work!
  • typingathome
    typingathome Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Tell the boyfriend to not worry you have it in control! Men. !?!?!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

Just that you're letting your BF make you question what you know to be correct.

:flowerforyou:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Just that you're letting your BF make you question what you know to be correct. From your ticker it appears this is working for you and you appear to have done research on this. Keep up the good work!
    ^^this :)
  • Sako316
    Sako316 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are we supposed to eat those calories back? I didn't think we were supposed to. So I end up with 1000 calorie deficient by the time I complete the day. When I did eat back the calories I maintained my weight. Since I stopped I have lost it. Everyone is different. Keep up the good work and it will pay off.
  • cjsacto
    Options
    Are we supposed to eat those calories back? I didn't think we were supposed to. So I end up with 1000 calorie deficient by the time I complete the day. When I did eat back the calories I maintained my weight. Since I stopped I have lost it. Everyone is different. Keep up the good work and it will pay off.

Wow, a 1,000 calorie deficit every day is a lot. As you said, everyone is different. The MFP food diary is designed to have you eat the calories back. A lot of people don't, some eat 50%, some set their own total calorie goal and ignore the "net" calories. It's not easy to find the right balance.
  • cjsacto
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. My bf wants to be supportive, but frankly if it were him he'd just eat SlimFast and saltines til he was at his goal. That clearly won't do it for me.