Working overnights need help

Options
I work at a hospital on overnights. lately I have been bringing my own lunch (ie salad, apple, healthy snacks) however there are times I find myself going overboard and need more. The other night someone brought in cookies and I think I ate about 5 of them.......not proud. I get so exhausted during the day as well. does anybody have any ideas on what to do?

Replies

• _brunette
    Options
    I also work nights, (not at a hospital) and what I find helps me is eating before I go into work and bringing lots of food. even of I think I'm not going to eat it, I like the choices. Additionally in the snacks I bring low cal sweets. Personally I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE anything chocolate so those are the snacks I like to bring. I like Fiber One 90 calorie Chocolate Fudge brownies (they have others too). I find they keep me from eating other sweets (like you mentioned). Also you mentioned you get exhausted during the day, in the same aisle (at least in my grocery store) they have healthy energy bars. I think they are called Cliff bars and they also have Luna bars too. Hope that helps, feel free to add me too if ya want. :)
  • stacimusmax
    stacimusmax Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I can't explain it but there sure is a lot of food in the breakroom all the time at night. I swear day shift leaves us leftovers and we, nightshift, seem to add to it.
    I too, bring my lunch/snacks. I find that bringing extra allows for choices also. I also like to bring in a few different texture items. Sometimes I just need to hear the crunch as I am eating (I know it is all in my head but if I don't satisfy it...I'll eat anything and everything trying to satisfy myself).
    Another thing I recommend is telling your coworkers (if it is a small group that likes to order out all the time!!!) what your goals are and that you will be refraining from anything not on your meal plan. My coworkers are respectful and even ask about the plan I'm on.
    With that being said, I just restarted a physician supervised plan that has several components. I think the biggest one is that I will be walking in her office weekly and standing on a scale, reviewing my food intake, exercise completed, and being held accountable (if only to myself).
  • dylsmom99
    dylsmom99 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i too work in a hospital on the overnights and there is never ever ever a healthy snack to be found. I constantly bring my lunch bag full of healthy snacks so when my comrades are grabbing pizza and cookies, I have a counter attack... but most of all i have found that telling everyone that im on a mission to lose weight has really helped me. For the most part some will question me if i reach for somethign wrong,,, and other times i will get complimented on my resiliance...
    as for being tired all day.. i wish i could answer that question.. i feel like i sleep my whole day away and come right back to work. i litterally have to beat myself to get to the gym if im workign back to back nights.
    good luck,, you can do this ... feel free to add me.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Being prepared is the number one way to combat the junk. I bring a lot of food in. Mostly protein, fruits, veggies and a few mini candy bars. it doesn't kill me calorie count and makes me feel like i cheated a little lol. are you drinking enough water? I have been a night shifter for nearly 11 years, and I am well adjusted. I don't feel that tiredness at work and i sleep ok during the day. ( i have some problems sleeping period no matter what time of day) Good luck!
  • iveyroze3
    Options
    I am a nurse too. I eat something light before I go in which is 6:30 p.m. At about 10 p.m. I eat high protein ,lean foods. I avoid the cafeteria alot more,but if I do go there I get a small bowl of soup or a chicken breast or a turkey burger. I was told if it's white it ain't right and I believe it. I eat fruit or a protein bar around 3:00 a.m. and I drink bunches of water. Instead of going to McDonalds or Hardee's after I get off I eat a high fiber cereal, protein shake,eggs etc. I have lost 26 pounds since November 1st 2012. Paying attention to what I put in my mouth makes a difference. Healthier choice,more filling foods helps immensely.