eating disorders

Options
2»

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Just a short PSA to remind people eating disorders are real and serious. It's not something to joke about.

some other notes:
    - anyone can struggle with an eating disorder, regardless of weight, race, sex, age, etc.
    - an eating disorder is a mental illness; "JUST EAT!" doesn't help anyone, professional therapy and support does
    - many overweight people struggle with eating disorders and are dismissed because "losing weight is always healthy!" even if they are hurting themselves physically and emotionally. this is not okay to encourage or enable
    - joking about eating disorders is hurtful and offensive to those who battle them

US hotline National ED Help Hotline: 1-800-931-2237

- signed, a chubby ED recoverer

Best. Post. Ever. Hands down.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am so honored to be your friend. :heart:
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • nursejessb
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I am in my second day of abstinence from addictive eating behaviors. I am at an all-time high with my weight and am dealing with the addiction process by going to AA meetings (not for alcohol, but for food addiction), have joined an online fellowship for food addiction and have a sponsor. I am eating a weighed and measured food plan that is free from addictive substances and am experiencing some withdrawal symptoms. I would love to have an easier way, but there isn't one for me.
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Recovering and hopeful for the first time in a long time :heart: :heart:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Good post. Got a lot of em here.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Well said. An eating disorder doesn't leave you when you get overweight, all it does is change form.

People don't understand that very well. A lot of people in the anorexic or purging state are particularly cruel, laughing at the claims of overweight people who claim eating disorders. I've seen a lot of pics of overweight people with seriously ugly comments in general under them on pro-ana sites. Makes me sad.

If I'd said I had an eating disorder when I weighed 200+ pounds most people would probably have laughed or thought I just meant that I liked stuffing my face too much.

Our society doesn't help much. Treating fat people like garbage and acting as if we're invisible. The attention I've gotten in the past few months, and especially the past few weeks from men in particular is definitely an incentive to keep losing. Sometimes too strong of an incentive.