Want a FitBit?

Options
I just bought a FitBit from Groupon, and thought it'd be worth giving fellow MFPers a heads up they they're currently on offer. :)

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/Chemist-4-U/15832152/.T9F6Qj

Hopefully they live up to all the hype I've been reading ;)

Replies

• nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    So is the idea that it gives you a reading of your TDEE for a given day that you wear it ?
    Also is it a one time purchase, or does it require a monthly subscription or some such to use it ?
  • jericenkins
    Options
    I have literally just bought mine after hearing raving reviews from other MFPers, but this is a really thorough review which is definitely worth checking out: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411271,00.asp
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I bought mine yesterday. Full price.

GRRRRRRRRRRR
  • jericenkins
    Options
    Noooo -- I came SO close to buying one yesterday, then decided not to. Just happened upon it on Groupon when I was looking for a haircut deal :3
  • rsgleeson
    Options
    what does it do then? intrigued....
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    So is the idea that it gives you a reading of your TDEE for a given day that you wear it ?
    Also is it a one time purchase, or does it require a monthly subscription or some such to use it ?
    Yep - to TDEE for the day.
    There is a premium training thing that it offers - which I don't touch with a barge pole - supposed to be motivating you to step more yada yada -

I use an HRM for exercise, and wear my FB all day to pick up adjustments from the rest of the day.
    what does it do then? intrigued....
    The reason I got mine was:
    1) Saw it was linked when I started here, and would reflect cals burned throughout the day (at a time when I was waiting for an all-clear from the physio to start exercising again).
    2) The sleep logging function was of great interest to me - my sleep patterns were all over the place after having time off with stress, and it's interesting to see the pattern after freakishly hurting my knee twisting in bed (!) and I can see how I wake everytime I turn now... subconsciously but it does affect my quality of sleep obvs!
    3) Before I got my HRM for Xmas, I used the Start/Stop activity function to time activities at the gym/Wii Fit etc.
    Sometimes I'd have to take the machine values for things it's not great with (cycling, rowing, swimming) but for treadmill, step and general walking around town/commuting - it's great
    4) It's flashy and a shiny gadget...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

It's a one time buy with no subscription. A Fitbit is basically a fancy pedometer, measuring steps, flights of stairs using an altimeter, and your sleep patterns (movement while you sleep) if you wear it while you sleep.

Here's a link: http://www.fitbit.com/company

Scroll down to the bottom for info on the products.
  • sheilapie
    sheilapie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i love my fitbit ultra. it measures stairs walked, steps walked, miles walked, calories burned... it also has encouraging words it shows on the screen if you turn that part on... it has the time of day on it, and also a stop watch built in... oh, it also measures your sleep patterns, if you put that into the computer... my fittie is always in my pocket or on my bra.. never leaves me..i love the fact that its a one time purchase, and not like my bodybugg which has a monthly fee. hope this helps everyone.
  • luckythirt33n
    luckythirt33n Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://www.indiegogo.com/misfitshine

I have one of these on order, similar to fitbit.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I bought mine yesterday. Full price.

GRRRRRRRRRRR

send it back and buy one with the voucher.
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I got mine in the Amazon Lightning Deals along with the scales.

I've used similar things before and I like the idea, but it's not 100% on the accuracy front. I've had the scales record measurements 7lb out (!) on a couple of occasions, even though I weigh myself at the same time every day, batteries were new, and I hadn't moved the scale at all. Similarly with the pedometer - I sometimes get up, pick it up off my bedside table, and see that it's recorded 1000 steps or more for the day already, even if it was just lying on my bedside table before midnight and hadn't been touched since.

The sleep thing is probably the least accurate thing. I would go for an app which records how deeply you sleep as well, because that's vital.

Generally, it's ok, and the premium stuff is pretty good, and it syncs fairly well with MyFitnessPal (although I do get different weights recorded on both because one rounds up and the other down I think).
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've had my FitBit for over a year and love it, it tracks everything I need to know and no monthly subscriptions. I lost one and they sent me a replacement with no issue as long as I showed them the receipt, awesome customer service!
  • GettingFitToLIVE
    Options
    Darn......just clicked link and details say it's for UK mainland deliveries only. : (
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Yes, you wear it all the time to get your TDEE.

It is a one-off payment (although there is an optional 'premium' subscription). The basic, free version gives me everything I need. This is why I chose it over the KiFit (Bodymedia Fit) device.

In terms of measuring exercise burns its great for walking and running type activities. It isn't good for measuring cycling, weight lifting and other activities that don't involve much step-like motion such as yoga.
  • alanpaulyoung
    Options
    Looks like they sold their stock - it says that the deal is now closed!

Thanks for flagging it up though.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I swim for exercise quite a lot and I see it's not waterproof. How would I record swimming for FitBit/MFP?
  • Lunnunis
    Lunnunis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    BerryH, you can't record swimming with a FitBit. I believe there is another device that does this. Otherwise you find 'swimming' on the MFP database and enter it manually. You would need to time the swim rather than counting lengths or distance.

I take my FitBit off when at the gym and note the readings from the machines with pen and paper. Then I do a manual entry to MFP. When you do this it overrides any FitBit calorie adjustment to MFP so other activity that day prior to the gym session then has to be added manually as well.

I hope that doesn't sound too complicated - I got my FitBit for my birthday in early December and I really love it.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I swim for exercise quite a lot and I see it's not waterproof. How would I record swimming for FitBit/MFP?
    What @Lunnunis said!

I would also recommend joining the Fitbit Users group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Looks like they sold their stock - it says that the deal is now closed!

Thanks for flagging it up though.
    I've just ordered one as has a fellow MFP friend of mine!!!
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    BerryH, you can't record swimming with a FitBit. I believe there is another device that does this. Otherwise you find 'swimming' on the MFP database and enter it manually. You would need to time the swim rather than counting lengths or distance.

I take my FitBit off when at the gym and note the readings from the machines with pen and paper. Then I do a manual entry to MFP. When you do this it overrides any FitBit calorie adjustment to MFP so other activity that day prior to the gym session then has to be added manually as well.

I hope that doesn't sound too complicated - I got my FitBit for my birthday in early December and I really love it.
    having had fitbits for quite a while now I find the gym machines severely under/overestimate . For example I run on the treadmill yet it only allocates me about 250 calories for 45 mins which I know myself is way under & MFP & fitbit both allocate me about 420 so this is why I wear it at the gym.. Obviously when I use the rower or bike I add manually then let it override