Fave Quinoa recipes

Options

Replies

• telicia02
    telicia02 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm loving peanut butter quinoa for breakfast right now. I'm vegetarian so it's a perfect way for me to get some protein. 1/4 cup quinoa added to 1/2 cup of water, bring to boil then let simmer for 15 mins. Add in a tablespoon of peanut butter, a little unsweetened applesauce and a dash of cinnamon. Delish!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I've made fried rice with quinoa instead of rice a few times.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I like quinoa in savory recipes like people have mentioned above, but I also like to use it in desserts, sort of in the rice-pudding style.

If you like bananas, this is a good one: http://www.grouprecipes.com/50000/quinoa-and-banana-pudding.html
    One serving is around 220 calories, depending on your ingredient choices.

Or if you're a coconut fan: http://www.sitesnbites.com/2011/09/26/coconut-quinoa-pudding/
    I think a serving is around 230 calories.

I also really loved baked oatmeal for breakfast, and this is a nice variation on that that also uses quinoa:

http://www.joyofkosher.com/recipe/baked-quinoa-and-oatmeal/
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    I friggin LOVE Keen-waa! Thanks for all the yummy recipes!
  • hayleems
    hayleems Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BiggGrizz
    BiggGrizz Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I make it with some grated apple and cinnamon and prepare it like oatmeal with water. It keeps in the fridge for days and I just reheat it every morning :)
  • beautsarah
    beautsarah Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have tons of quinoa, but couldn't find recipes that looked appetizing until now!
  • melnedder
    melnedder Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bump, gotta start to cook this stuff!
  • LadyNanci
    LadyNanci Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp with Quinoa (could also use Tilapia, or Chicken)

1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp olive or coconut oil
    1 Bell Pepper ( I love pepper so I usually use a combo of red, green and orange bell peppers)
    1 Onion
    1 Tb Brown Sugar
    1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk
    1 Tb Fish sauce
    1TB low sodium soy sauce
    2 tsp fresh grated or minced ginger
    2 cloves garlic ( I use 3 or 4)
    1 tsp curry powder
    2 tsp red curry paste
    1/2 tsp cumin
    12 -16 oz shrimp ( I use precooked, peeled and deveined to save time)

add oil to pan and sautee onions and peppers. Once veggies are soft add all other ingrediants and simmer for about 15-20 min. until coconut milk reduces a bit. Add Shrimp and simmer another 5-10 min.

I make my quinoa with FF chicken stock. I usually make 1 cup dry which is about 2 cups cooked. I then stir the cooked quinoa into the pan at serving time but you could just put the shrimp on top.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I make a riff on mac and cheese using quinoa in place of the macaroni, add veggies, fat free cheddar and egg whites to bind together and bake (I do it in a muffin tin to control portion size) , or skip egg white and add almond or soy milk for a creamier version...
  • Nana920
    Nana920 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I prepared quinoa for the first time today.
    Made a salad by adding:
    Diced cucumbers
    Diced tomatoes
    Diced carrots
    Spanish olives
    Black beans
    Minced garlic
    Olive oil
    Basil rice vinegar
    Lemon juice
    Sea salt to taste

Serve chilled
  • pastabelly
    pastabelly Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    these sound good
  • lazy8ee
    lazy8ee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp with Quinoa (could also use Tilapia, or Chicken)

1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp olive or coconut oil
    1 Bell Pepper ( I love pepper so I usually use a combo of red, green and orange bell peppers)
    1 Onion
    1 Tb Brown Sugar
    1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk
    1 Tb Fish sauce
    1TB low sodium soy sauce
    2 tsp fresh grated or minced ginger
    2 cloves garlic ( I use 3 or 4)
    1 tsp curry powder
    2 tsp red curry paste
    1/2 tsp cumin
    12 -16 oz shrimp ( I use precooked, peeled and deveined to save time)

add oil to pan and sautee onions and peppers. Once veggies are soft add all other ingrediants and simmer for about 15-20 min. until coconut milk reduces a bit. Add Shrimp and simmer another 5-10 min.

I make my quinoa with FF chicken stock. I usually make 1 cup dry which is about 2 cups cooked. I then stir the cooked quinoa into the pan at serving time but you could just put the shrimp on top.

Yum! I will definitely try it tonight.
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    I have apple and cinnamon quinoa for breakfast almost everyday. I make a big batch up at the beginning of the week and then microwave some every morning and have it with cottage cheese and honey.
    The recipe is here http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeID=249901
  • Kayciemae02
    Kayciemae02 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love this one!

http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/recipe-index/?recipe_id=6013544

I made a few changes though - I used red quinoa, and instead of olive oil I used a basalmic vinegar! So delicioius and relatively easy.
  • kdgirard
    Options
    sounds good - what is the calorie/protein/carb breakdown? Have you added this recipe to the food log, and if so, is there a quick way I could find it?
  • iowatransplant
    iowatransplant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump