Contemplating cutting the Caffeine

Options
I'm contemplating cutting caffeine out of my diet. Its going to be a process, as it is the only thing that prevents my inner swap donkey from taking over my day. Unfortunately I have let my little addiction get the better of me and my normal 1-2 cups of coffee a day has risen to 4-6. Has anyone got any suggestions or had the same experiences????

Replies

• Motivated_Mom_4
    Options
    My husband has done this...just do it slow or you will get headaches.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you drink - be prepared for withdrawal-type symptoms if you do drink lots of caffeine!
  • caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I also recommend doing it slowly-try cutting to 4 cups a day for a week, then three, then 2, then 1...then you can start with every other day. The headaches that you get from withdrawl are BRUTAL. I quit once, for other reasons, but couldn't stick to it...now I need my coffee but I keep it to 1 cup a day. Good luck!
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    start slow. Don't go cold turkey. Try cutting it down by half and go from there. The headaches will get ya otherwise. I did it for about 6 months and the first caffeine drink I had made me feel high.
  • jezcomblue
    Options
    do as the others say and do it slowly... i did it wrong and had 2 weeks of banging headaches!
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was like you having a ton. I couldn't sleep at night and it just was getting in my way of life. I gradually tapered it off over a period of 5 weeks. I wouldn't go from 4 - 3 cups, instead I'd just do 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 of a cup to get down. Now I've been down to 1 cup for quite some time. I will drink 2 on occasion and now I actually feel the caffeine. Before it was a way of life, now it's just a boost!
  • kayla2709
    kayla2709 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Either way I think its going to hurt........I may be a little cranky as well!
  • chanys21
    Options
    Went from 10-15 cups to 1, but made very sure to flush the system with water. That was 4 years ago and now I have just that first in the morning and after that none, but change your routine if you can, there will be certain things or situations that trigger the coffee animal in the brain, so if you change that then you have won the battle - thinking of you and you can do this
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I did it. I replaced my morning coffee with a green smoothie or green juice, and it gives me more energy and I don't crash.
    Also it's so much more healthy! I can't imagine going back ;)
  • RhondaRho
    Options
    At one time, I thought I wanted to cut coffee out entirely and tried a couple of times to cut back, and found I did so too quickly each time with rebound headaches, often feeling tired and gastro sluggishness. Here's what worked for me:

No joe later in the day, i.e. none after 3pm, then none after 2pm, etc. - I'm now no joe after 10am (two small cups)
    Substituting plain warm water for a cup of joe - helps keep you hydraded (sp) and flushes out the toxins
    - Did this over about two months, listened to my body and didn't push myself to hard about it -
    Found a good multi-vitamin with high B-12 and taking it with breakfast, early.

Good luck!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Went from 10-15 cups to 1, but made very sure to flush the system with water.

Water is VERY important!

Don't forget, you can substitute normal 'caffeinated' drinks for 'decaffeinated' alternatives too!
  • ash407
    ash407 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me. Personal i wouldnt cut the caffiene. have that with green tea (caps) a great combo for fat burning
  • laughinggypsy
    laughinggypsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Substitution! I've wanted to kick coffee for a long time to lower my cortisol, but having a good reason wasn't enough to make me make the change. We've started drinking kombucha and I find instead of drinking 3/4 of a POT I'm stopping after a cup or maybe a cup and a half of coffee. sometimes I'll have green tea as well.

I'm thinking if you staggered cups of water into the mix that would help as well.