Irritating plateau!

Options
Hi!
Having trouble getting past a plateau I've been stuck at for 4 weeks now.
This week I finally got really fed up, and upped my time at the gym to 6 days out of 7, instead of 3 days. 45 minute workouts each plus 30 minute walk to and from gym. Also been careful with what I've been eating.
Still no progress!
Feeling very frustrated. Does anyone have any tips? I spend most of my time at the gym on the elliptical or bike doing cardio.
Should I mix up my work out? Try something different?
I hate this, always figured I could slim down with just hard work and time.
My hubby thinks i'm not losing weight because i'm gaining muscle mass which is heavier than fat, but i'm not convinced.
Suggestions? Please?

Replies

• justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking your measurements. Dear hubby may be correct.
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    Elliptical and bike is good cardio- it will get your heart rate up, but not to your max, which is why it's considered moderate intensity. Add in some other high intensity cardio a few days a week, such as running, or if you're not a big fan of running, even walking at a high incline will get your heart pumping and you will break a good sweat. You also didn't mention anything about strength training. This could help shock your system as well.
  • asm2260
    asm2260 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I agree...Log your measurements....it helps to stay positive when the scale doesnt move but the you lost an inch off your waist....How do your clothes feel.

I feel your pain, Im stuck too but I will not give up, I'm pushing harder....You Got to want it, feel it, do it....and I know we will!
  • LauraSko
    LauraSko Posts: 3
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing a great job exercising. One thing you might be able to do is cut your sugar a bit (more, if you already are). Less sugar and more fiber is what is helping me make my progress right now.

Plateaus happen to almost everyone - don't be discouraged!!! Remind yourself daily (in the mirror, etc) that you're a hard worker and you're making good choices for yourself. And don't forget to dance!!!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I agree with the weight training. if you're new to it, start on the machines - most of them have attached instructions and there's less chance of getting hurt. Muscle burns more calories at a resting rate and it takes up much less space than fat even if the scale doesn't move. Don't worry, females don't get bulky unless you're trying to consciously get bulky.
  • thutch41
    thutch41 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you're eating enough. How many calories are you eating? Never go under 1200 or your body will think you're starving and hang on to the weight. I agree you should be measuring with a tape or tight fitting clothes to see if you feel a difference. Hang in there--it'll happen! Drink tons and tons of water. I finally figured that out for myself.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I agree with thutch41... make sure you are eating at least 1200 calories! Good Luck, keep going! :flowerforyou:
  • shaneharley
    shaneharley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at one for a couple of weeks and was getting really discouraged. I've upped what I was eating (i wasn't eating my exercise calories and i exercise quite a bit) and now the weight seems to be coming back off quick again. Lost 1.4kg this week, and that was eating MORE than I was eating before the plateau. A bit confusing, but it seems to be working for me.
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The best plateau buster I've ever found is one good Cheat meal (go over a litlte!!) and take a hike. Literally. Go do something you don't normally do in place of your normal work out. Then go back to normal. :)
  • Taliko
    Taliko Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks.
    I'll throw in some more weight training, I've been doing some but it's been more of a "When I have time" thing than something regular. I'd do jogging rather than the elliptical, but I injured my left knee some months ago and impact cardio still really bothers it. Think i'll wait till it's fully healed.

I should really log my meals, I think I'm not getting enough....

As for my clothes, I've gone from a 16 to a 12. Not sure if that is standard with a 15 lb loss or not? I feel a lot better.