Leftover Christmas Food

Options
I was given loads of food as gifts over Christmas, chocolates, mince pies, biscuits, cake, etc. and last night I sorted it into Best Before Date order... (It'll last me until gone June 2013!!). I hate to waste food so I was wondering if I'd be better off eating this food a little at a time each day OR to have a couple of days in the month just to get through it.

Part of me thinks if I have 1 'bad' day and 6 good days that would be better than 7 OK days... but maybe not. I've seen some posts saying that if you eat junk one day you'll want more the next but I can say that I feel so much better when eating healthily that I'm not sure this would be an issue for me.

Any views on which way to go to have the least impact on my weight loss?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I brought all of the sweets to my office to share with coworkers. I just needed to be done with it all!
  • danceym
    danceym Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I threw anything that was open in the garbage and sent the rest home with kids. It's best that I don't have it around. :)
  • genghis54
    genghis54 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    put it in the freezer and haVe a little now and again
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    For me, I just wouldnt want it around. You could bring some to work to share with your co workers. You could re gift a couple things maybe?
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I also brought everything to work to share with the coworkers. Let them eat the cookies and candy!

I did save a package of Twizzlers and Ferrero Rocher chocolates for myself, I'll eat one or two on days when I have enough calories to do so :)
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Most dry foods will last well after their best before date.
    I have some leftover marrons glacés and I usually have one a day. I include it in my "calorie plan". I am afraid I would have a proper binge if I allowed myself a "free" day a month.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Just bring it to work and give to friends/family.

Maybe best not to say it was given to you as 2nd hand food as well. Haha
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I was given loads of food as gifts over Christmas, chocolates, mince pies, biscuits, cake, etc. and last night I sorted it into Best Before Date order... (It'll last me until gone June 2013!!). I hate to waste food so I was wondering if I'd be better off eating this food a little at a time each day OR to have a couple of days in the month just to get through it.

Part of me thinks if I have 1 'bad' day and 6 good days that would be better than 7 OK days... but maybe not. I've seen some posts saying that if you eat junk one day you'll want more the next but I can say that I feel so much better when eating healthily that I'm not sure this would be an issue for me.

Gift or donate anything you don't adore.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I work at home, so I would have to share with the chickens and cows :laugh: I froze most of it for later. My 83 year old mother makes me a scrumptious Datenut cake every year and I will not share that!:love:
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Gift or donate anything you don't adore.

^^ this. In the uk food banks are desperate for good, non perishable food at the moment. I'm sure it's the case in other places as well. Please do not just throw it out!!!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Mine gets locked away in a trunk 672493B6-C01A-4C26-BC74-B6E7329D801F-2191-0000016A53D31AFF_zps0dab2a56.jpg
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    deprivation is not the answer. but neither is over indulgence. eat a proper portion. a little bit every day is ok. we're talking one cookie, one or two chocolates, etc. i would enjoy it and move on with my day by making better choices for everything else i eat in the day. if you want something less healthy for a meal, i would skip the sweets and snacks.

long term success is about balancing the good and the bad, not ignoring the bad altogether.

good luck.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about eating better and losing weight...GET RID OF IT....would you rather 'waste food' you didn't even buy, or gain weight you're trying to lose?

If you can't find somewhere to donate it or can't take it to work to share with others...then just throw it away and don't look back!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I threw all our away January 1st. Wasteful...yes. But my health is worth it.
  • deeosborn
    deeosborn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same (like most people) left over chocolate and biscuits. I take a little to work with me every day and include it in my daily calorie intake. it's fine as long as you're not eating it all at once!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You are so lucky! All our Christmas food was gone by 12/28. :ohwell:
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    100% Bin it.

We always indulge over Christmas in the house but by the time the 1st of January rocks around we are sick of chocolate, minced pies etc and I just bin it all.

If it is all treats then really you are not wasting food, it is just empty calories.

Why not give the food to a homeless shelter if you are bothered about it?
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Mine gets locked away in a trunk 672493B6-C01A-4C26-BC74-B6E7329D801F-2191-0000016A53D31AFF_zps0dab2a56.jpg

0_o .... who has the key?! LOL

I could not keep this sort of food in the house. I have treats for my step daughter and husband but they are like small candy bars that are around 100 cals each. I also have single serve backs of potato chips for them and those tubes and big grab bags are deadly.
  • alison1205
    alison1205 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone but unfortunately everything is perishable and therefore can't be taken by food banks, shelters, etc. And the people at work are mixed race / religions and the majority therefore have strict rules around what they can or can't eat...

Re-gifting is a good idea (I actually think one of the boxes of chocolates I got was exactly that! LOL)
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When I lived in an apartment I also used to leave things I didn't want next to the mail boxes with a note. All sorts of things disappeared that way, especially sweets.

Once, I had a pile of homemade rice krispie treats that didn't all get eaten from a party (they were good, we just had too many). I had my car serviced the next day, so I just took them with me. The guys at the car shop took care of them in record time. They were very happy for the unexpected treat.