Newbie - A little nervous!

Options
Ive just had this site recommended by my lovely friend to try and help me focus and lose weight! I think the main area of concern for me will be cutting down the drink and curries!!
Im determined to make a life change this year - my last year in my 20's so lets get fit for the 30's!
Argh... scared already!

Replies

• Sambytheway82
    Options
    its great on here don't be nervous. i turned 30 in november i love curries and still have one once a week but i make my own feel free to add me as a friend xx
  • 3boysunder3
    3boysunder3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had a curry and a beer last night. So feeling for you. Back to being good today though, occasional treat has to be.
    Turning 30 in Feburary and really want to feel good about myself this year.
    Lots of support here.

Good luck.
  • leanne2407
    Options
    I am said lovely friend, and am SO happy you have joined this site....this will benefit us SO much! Baby steps all the way...1-2lbs a week?? we can do that!! :) loadsa love xx
  • Kenyamtoto
    Options
    Ive never done the whole Calories before, always used weight watchers points so was really shocked to see how many are in wine and even bread!

I wont lie I think ill find the food side of things quite hard to start with - just simply by not knowing how many calories are in each - but hoping that I learn quick!

Yes Leanne we CAN be students and LOSE weight!

Main thing for me if Im honest is that I just want to be able to look in the mirror and think yeah you're not too bad girl! Not - Jeeeeez look at the size of that!
  • Jay9Abrahams
    Options
    I'm new to this too. Joined on Tuesday. Also finding it harder to count the calories - was using weigh watchers.

I totally get that looking in the mirror story - i only look at my top half these days and pretend that my bottom half is just not there...LOL
    but it's time to get active!!

I am looking forward to this journey, i hope you are too!!!

Before we know it, we'll be posting our success stories on this site too
  • ewestsca
    ewestsca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already you should download the myfitnesspal app to your cell phone. It really helps with keeping track of your calories. Almost everything has a bar code on the packaging and quick scan can let you know if you should or shouldn't eat the item.

That one app has helped me a lot.
  • savingsunday
    savingsunday Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! There's a lot of great, supportive people on this site. I'm sure you will do well!
  • mathildapops
    mathildapops Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi I've just joined this month and my downfall will be my weekend alcohol & food, anyone feel free to add me, I need to get out of the vicious circle of bingeing all weekend, seriously need some will power, lol :bigsmile:
  • Ready2Serve
    Ready2Serve Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ive never done the whole Calories before, always used weight watchers points so was really shocked to see how many are in wine and even bread!

I wont lie I think ill find the food side of things quite hard to start with - just simply by not knowing how many calories are in each - but hoping that I learn quick!

Yes Leanne we CAN be students and LOSE weight!

Main thing for me if Im honest is that I just want to be able to look in the mirror and think yeah you're not too bad girl! Not - Jeeeeez look at the size of that!

Just remember take things one at a time. If you try to change everything at once it might be over welming. So stick with it and you will see relsults.
  • mathildapops
    mathildapops Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Yep I did ww points too! Will now need to get used to counting my fruit & veg in my daily food allowance and will HAVE to exercise to build up more calorie allowance for alcohol ( just used to use my 49 weekly points on ww)
  • Kenyamtoto
    Options
    Ok this may be a stupid question but.................
    If you dont use your calories for the day do they carry over?
    If you exercise and it creates new calories are we expected to eat those too??
  • Shweet_heart
    Shweet_heart Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new here, too. Going to be 30 in June, and well, I'm tired of being unhealthy. Going to make my 30s better than my 20s! I'm happy to be your friend here, and help to motivate you. I'm always looking for new friends, it helps to keep the motivation up!

Calories don't transfer to the next, that I know of, however, if you do exercise, then yes, you're expected to eat those back. The main goal you're given is with your main lifestyle, without any added extra exercise (but, anything you add is def a bonus!)
  • Kenyamtoto
    Options
    I thought the exercise would discount calories you have eaten so be better in the weight loss - surely just eating to make up for exercising every day defeats the object?? Im confused xx
  • Ailorn
    Ailorn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think it works by giving you a set calorie number based on your physical aspects and how quickly you want to lose weight. If you exercise then those are calories that you can eat over the original set number. You lose weight because your set baseline is lower than how many calories you eat to maintain your current weight. You can always change how quickly you want to lose if you are constantly getting alot of carry over calories.

Btw I'm new this week and turn 30 in June. My friend lost a lot of weight on Weight Watchers but it wasnt my thing. So im looking for support especially at night when I'm home and food is so easy to grab. Please add me :) I'll cheer you all on and we can do this together. Even if we slip we can do it.