Could I be drinking too much water?

Options
My goal for water intake is 128 ounces per day. That doesn't include coffee.....it's just plain water. I exercise 5x a week, mainly cardio but starting to add strength training. Is this too much water? My husband says that's why I am struggling to lose weight. True or false?

Replies

• danceym
    danceym Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would say false but do be careful with your water intake you can have too much which is dangerous to your organs and can be deadly it depends somewhat on your weight. Marathon runners drop dead from time to time from too much water intake while running.

There are water calculators online, I just did mine and at my weight I can safely have 130 oz. Google Water intake calculator.

Generally though water is suppose to flush your system of toxins in your organs and as it has no calories you it shouldn't hurt your weight loss. Watch your sodium intake, if this is quite high you may tend to hold more water than you want. If this is the case for you then reduce your sodium and you should see the scale change.
  • ScrapStitching
    ScrapStitching Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can indeed drink too much, but it doesn't sound like that's a problem at 128 ounces. Agree that you should check into how much you should be drinking.

Man, you must be taking potty breaks a lot! :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Not likely it's hurting your weight loss, but it may be more than you need. I regularly drink 100+ ounces per day in addition to anything else I may drink. All it does is make me pee.

What are you eating and how much? What are the specifics of your workouts? What is your loss so far and what are your goals? Details will help us help you.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Each person's body is different. I drink a little less and my weight is slowing coming off.

My reason for drinking so much water, besides hydration for workouts, is that I LOVE the feeling of Hot Tea (and I'm addicted to Teavana for this). The warmth makes me feel satisfied and most of the time keeps me from snacking much. Also keeps me out of the drinks on my bad list.

Now, depending on your salt intake the water might be sticking around longer making weight come off slowly or if you just started upping the water intake your body might not be releasing water weight.

Personally, I knew a guy who worked out and drank 2 gallons a day and he had some fine results for the training he was undergoing...so its really up to individual preference. My body likes 14-16 cups / 112-128oz.

If you are still unsure after you get more responses I would suggest doing to research for yourself or talk to your doctor. Your intution and a doc's opinion usually trump responses ;)

Keep up the great job! :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    That amount of water wouldn't make you struggle to lose weight. However, you don't need to hit a magic number when it comes to water, you just need to make sure you are properly hydrated. Go by the color of your pee, not an arbitrary number. 60 ounces of water may be enough for me while you may need at least 100 ounces. No 2 bodies are the same. use the military hydration chart:

http://www.al.ngb.army.mil/PublishingImages/Safety/258_Urine Color Test_Poster.pdf
  • justvap1
    Options
    I recently upped my water intake cause I was on a plateau. after researching it seems to be general consensus that for optimal weight loss you should drink half your weight in ozs.....I also followed a few other guidelines a friend sent me ..eat within 20 mins of waking, something high protein. take a daily multiple vitamin, and fish oil. I also downloaded a water reminder app, so I can remember and track my water intake. lost two lbs in two days and finally broke through the plateau
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    The amount of water taken in in a given sitting is 'deadly' not drinking it steadily throughout the day
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's probably not hindering your weight loss but it's totally not necessary. There's no magic to drinking excessive quantities of water. You're stressing your kidneys and can be depleting minerals your body needs. If your urine is pale yellow then you're getting enough fluids. Did you know an apple is 85% water? We get most of the fluids we need just from out daily food intake.
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    As long as it's throughout the day. Upping your water isn't the cause of weight gain or a plateau.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking in excess of 4 litres a day, that would be too much. Your kidneys will get rid of what you don't need. Unless you have a kidney disorder, or some mental illness that would cause excess water intake, you should be fine.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    The amount of water taken in in a given sitting is 'deadly' not drinking it steadily throughout the day

Yup, this exactly.
  • gabby365
    gabby365 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    People that have died from water toxicity were drinking 4 to 5 gallons a day, every day... I don't think you have to worry.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I heard you are supposed to divide your weight in half and that is the amount of ounces of water you need daily.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents, when I drink 128+ oz a day I lose much more easily.
  • ToshaFeb268
    Options
    I heard you are supposed to divide your weight in half and that is the amount of ounces of water you need daily.

^^^This is what I have heard too.
  • Ready2Serve
    Ready2Serve Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would say false but do be careful with your water intake you can have too much which is dangerous to your organs and can be deadly it depends somewhat on your weight. Marathon runners drop dead from time to time from too much water intake while running.

There are water calculators online, I just did mine and at my weight I can safely have 130 oz. Google Water intake calculator.

Generally though water is suppose to flush your system of toxins in your organs and as it has no calories you it shouldn't hurt your weight loss. Watch your sodium intake, if this is quite high you may tend to hold more water than you want. If this is the case for you then reduce your sodium and you should see the scale change.

The marathon runners it is not from to much water. It is from hyponatremia which causes a shift in soduim. As they drink more water it causes the shift to get worse. It is not the fact that they are drinking to much water, rather a shift in thier sodium.
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you are peeing all the time and it is clear, then you are probably drinking too much. However I'm not sure what impact that would have on weight loss. Rule of thumb is drink for thirst and remember that a lot of foods (especially vegetables) contain a lot of water also.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I lose more when I drink more water. I aim for about 4 litres a day (that's about 135 oz or a little more than 1 gallon)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    False
    Ignore your husband's wellness advice...:laugh:
    I drink about that much and am very active.
    My suspicion is that hubby thinks water intake bloats you with water weight.
    Actually, the opposite is true.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    I drink about 120oz a day. No issues here.