Hate water....

Options
Okay, Water is boring. My taste buds must be entertained if its going into my mouth; that being said:

Is it bad that I drink 8-10 cups of brewed green tea or honey lemon tea throughout the day?
Or should I just pat myself on the back because I am getting the fluids into me.

Opinions/insights please!

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    A wise MFP profit once said "I will only bathe in water - I wont bathe in coke, diet coke, teas, etc. Why would I bathe my insides with it?"
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I've never been a water girl. I have a really weak bladder and if I drink a pint of water I'm up and down to the loo every 10 minutes, and I work all day and can't be leaving my desk that much. So I've never done the whole 8 glasses per day thing, I don't drink water at all, I have a couple of cups of coffee per day and that's pretty much it. And I still lost 73 pounds last year. So I don't know what the big fuss is about!!
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I come from the angle of having had a kidney stone before, so I'm, DRINK YOUR WATER. Let your kidneys have a break. My 2 cents.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The tea is fine. It has healthy antioxidants. Adding fruit slices to water can sometimes make it more palatable.
  • bbqscotty
    bbqscotty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i would say decaf green tea or black cofee or unsweetened ice tea all count as water................how about seltzer??? it has flavors, carbonation and zero calories and zero sodium ?
  • asaralee3
    asaralee3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I purchased the Dasani Water Enhancer, it has ZERO calories and it's amazing. You can put as much or as little of the drops in as you want. I am in <3 with the Pink Lemonade.

Give it a try!
  • BrittKnee_Rae
    BrittKnee_Rae Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    A wise MFP profit once said "I will only bathe in water - I wont bathe in coke, diet coke, teas, etc. Why would I bathe my insides with it?"

^^What he said!!

Maybe start with one glass a day of PLAIN iced water a day.. And eventually you will get used to it. Do some research on how healthy water is for your organs and skin, this will be incentive to drink it more often!! Although your drinking tea and that's better then soda!!! I would still try and make a habit of drinking more PLAIN water and eventually you may start to like it..
  • SimonenEwell
    Options
    Heres a little bit of insight into what I tell my clients, if it helps, that great, if it doesnt then just ignore.

This up and down to the toilet only lasts as long as it takes for your body to get used to the water intake.
    Generally, when our bodies are dehydrated, we do not crave water. When our bodies are used to the water intake, and we miss water, then our bodies will crave water.

Water flushes away the toxins and fats in the body, it moisturises our muscles to help us to move more efficiently, allowing our bodies to burn more fuel more efficiently. Water also moisturises our arteries to help them to work more effectively. Also moisturises our skin, so the elascticity is there (also helping to reduce any 'hanging' that people sometimes report. Our bodies are made up of a massive percentage of water, we need water to function normally. Depriving our bodies of water (without losing weight) is bad, makes our skin sag, makes us look pale, we feel lethargic as our muscles tend to slow down. And when were wanting to lose weight, its needed even more!

We need water. Fullstop. the more you drink water, the more you will get used to it. (Just like you did with alcohol or tea or coffee) Tea, coffee, flavoured water doesnt count. Tea & Coffee makes you go to the toilet more. For every cup of tea you have you need to match it twice over with water to keep the water level in your body 'the same'. Flavoured water contains alot of 'other' often hidden chemicals and nasties. Unless you make it yourself with a slice of something.

Measure it. Most people think they drink more water than they do. use water bottles, measure it. Put goals on it, for example, i have a stumpy bottle of plain water (stumpy meaning it tricks my MIND into thinking that its smaller than a litre), say by lunchtime I will have finished that bottle. Fill it up at lunchtime and put another goal on it ....

the best thing that you can do for your weight loss, or for your body, is to drink more water (careful not to overdo it)

Hope this helps.
    Simone.
    Therapist
  • joslin2005
    Options
    My opinion, but you don't hate water. You just think you do because you are used to drinking some kind of flavored drink that has things that make you addicted to it... Tea is good for you but it is also a diuretic since it has caffeine in it. In other words, it dehydrates you. It's not the worst choice but it's not the best choice. Water is and will always be the best choice for hydration and health.

I used to drink nothing but Dr. Peppers. Then it was water with Crystal Light packets. Next was sweet tea. Then I finally got it right, pure simple water. I began to think that people that drank water couldn't truly be satisfied with water. I "had" to have something with flavor. Now, I crave water. I feel better and don't have sleeping problems. I had to decide I needed to drink water and it was the best drink for me. Not to say I never have a Dr. Pepper or sweet tea but I do it in moderation now. I focused on drinking a certain amount of water. If I could meet that quota, I could have a glass of sweet tea or a dr.pepper. Best word of advice though, take any type of coke out of your house. That way you either have to go pick up a coke from the convenience store, grocery store, or restaurant. You'll be less tempted to drink them.

Here is a calculator to determine exactly how much water you need. http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
    I have a water bottle that hold 32 oz. I feel it up 3,4, and sometimes 5 X a day.

Good luck and hope this helps.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of water either. I had to start slowly...I would challenge myself by filling up my coffee cup with cold water and drink it while my pot brewed. That was one cup of water in.

I found that I could get more in if I used a straw - so I bought one of those rubbermaid straw drink boxes. It would only take me like 6 sips through the straw to drain it.

Now I have no problem getting my water in me - I keep my bottle in sight and sip away. Somedays I don't drink as much, other days I can't get enough.

Don't expect to be drinking 8-10 glasses a day right away, work up to it, a little more everyday is better than none.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    This up and down to the toilet only lasts as long as it takes for your body to get used to the water intake.

Water flushes away the toxins and fats in the body,

If you consume large quantities of anything is has to come back out. Your body doesn't mysteriously find a secret place to store it after a few days. Water in = water out!

Water doesn't flush out fat or toxins. Fat is utilized as energy by the body, water doesn't run through your veins and cells washing out the fat in front of it like a flood. Your organs filter out the waste and it gets passed along and eventually ends up at the elimination site. If your pee is brown you're still eliminating waste.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Erm, I wouldn't bathe in pea soup, either, but I sure will eat it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with tea (and you don't need 8 cups of any fluid, let alone water). Tea is a diuretic, BUT the amount of water it's brewed in is MORE than compensates for the diuretic effect. Jeez Louise, I wish that diet myth would die the death it deserves.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it will anger some people here but... this whole "drink 8 glasses a day" myth and the "it can only be pure water" myth is just silly.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Drinking more water will not help you lose weight. (It does help you feel full, however and get through some cravings) It's simply calories in VS calories out. Simple math. You don't need to force yourself to drink until you are uncomfortable. Amazingly our bodies have this way of telling us we need water, it's called thirst. You get water in coffee, tea, soda, vegetables, etc., as well as water, and our bodies are very efficient at getting what we need out of those things.

What I am saying is drink when you are thirsty. You don't need to force the issue.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Umm, it's "prophet" and it's hardly wise.
    Drink what you like to hydrate yourself.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The tea is fine. It has healthy antioxidants. Adding fruit slices to water can sometimes make it more palatable.

This. When I first started increasing my water intake, I struggled with it too. I discovered that adding a slice of lemon or a squeeze of orange was a good way to perk it up without adding a bunch of calories or artificial sweeteners. I'm now up to about three or four liters of water a day without anything added to it.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it will anger some people here but... this whole "drink 8 glasses a day" myth and the "it can only be pure water" myth is just silly.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Drinking more water will not help you lose weight. (It does help you feel full, however and get through some cravings) It's simply calories in VS calories out. Simple math. You don't need to force yourself to drink until you are uncomfortable. Amazingly our bodies have this way of telling us we need water, it's called thirst. You get water in coffee, tea, soda, vegetables, etc., as well as water, and our bodies are very efficient at getting what we need out of those things.

What I am saying is drink when you are thirsty. You don't need to force the issue.

holla
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i hated drinking water and never did in the past but then i just forced myself to start. i drink half my weight in ounces of water now and it gets easier as time goes along. I agree with people being use to having flavored beverages, but you need to try to break yourself of that habit.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    i hated drinking water and never did in the past but then i just forced myself to start. i drink half my weight in ounces of water now and it gets easier as time goes along. I agree with people being use to having flavored beverages, but you need to try to break yourself of that habit.
    Why?
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    **quote** There's absolutely nothing wrong with tea (and you don't need 8 cups of any fluid, let alone water). Tea is a diuretic, BUT the amount of water it's brewed in is MORE than compensates for the diuretic effect. Jeez Louise, I wish that diet myth would die the death it deserves. **quote**

This was my exact thought when I started to incorporate the tea thing.
    I figured it was better than juice (not a pop fan...it has bubbles)

Maybe I can meet it halfway for now?! have at least 800ml of just pure water and then tea out the rest?!
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    **quote** There's absolutely nothing wrong with tea (and you don't need 8 cups of any fluid, let alone water). Tea is a diuretic, BUT the amount of water it's brewed in is MORE than compensates for the diuretic effect. Jeez Louise, I wish that diet myth would die the death it deserves. **quote**

This was my exact thought when I started to incorporate the tea thing.
    I figured it was better than juice (not a pop fan...it has bubbles)

Maybe I can meet it halfway for now?! have at least 800ml of just pure water and then tea out the rest?!
    Just stay hydrated and log anything that has calories. So, drink what fits your plan.