Thinking of cutting out sugar

Options
I'd say my biggest challenge to weight loss is sugar/sweeteners. I really don't have the control to eat a little bit. I have gone sugar (refined sugar) free and caffeine free for about 2 months in the past and I felt good. But then I went back to bad habits. It concerns me because my mom and both grandmas on mom & dads side are diabetic. I really need to get a handle it. I refuse to prick myself with a needle and have to give myself insulin. Has anyone else cut out refined sugar and artificail sweetener? How did you do it (cold turkey or gradual)? What benefits have you seen? I am pretty much open to any input/suggestions.

Replies

• mrslehan2013
    Options
    Artificial sweetners are TERRIBLE for you. Have you heard of the book Skinny Bit**? You should get it and ready it. I used to drink 4+ diet cokes a day and use artifical sweetners and sugar in everything! I haven't cut out all sugars but I did cut out all aritifical sweetners and all pop. The first couple of days kind of hard. I had cravings and some headaches. But after that I felt great. A lot better than I did before. I'm actually in the process of cutting out all sugars. But I'm taking my time on it. Oh! And I've lost 4 pounds since I cut out that stuff! And I have a ton of energy and don't feel so gross and full and slow all the time.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetners are TERRIBLE for you. Have you heard of the book Skinny Bit**? You should get it and ready it. I used to drink 4+ diet cokes a day and use artifical sweetners and sugar in everything! I haven't cut out all sugars but I did cut out all aritifical sweetners and all pop. The first couple of days kind of hard. I had cravings and some headaches. But after that I felt great. A lot better than I did before. I'm actually in the process of cutting out all sugars. But I'm taking my time on it. Oh! And I've lost 4 pounds since I cut out that stuff! And I have a ton of energy and don't feel so gross and full and slow all the time.

The book you suggest is filled with nonsense, might be a good read if you're looking for a fictional book though
  • betsy179
    Options
    Cutting out sugar is good. But it does matter what type of sugar you are cutting out. Your body will process Orange juice different than if you eat an orange. The orange is better for you because the fiber in the orange will help move the sugar . The juice goes into your liver and does not move as quickly out of your body. When you go to your dr. talk to him of what is good for you.good luck
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

The book you suggest is filled with nonsense, might be a good read if you're looking for a fictional book though

^ This. Wheat belly is the only true one. Read that one instead.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Cutting out sugar is good. But it does matter what type of sugar you are cutting out. Your body will process Orange juice different than if you eat an orange. The orange is better for you because the fiber in the orange will help move the sugar . The juice goes into your liver and does not move as quickly out of your body. When you go to your dr. talk to him of what is good for you.good luck

Orlly?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

An orange is pure sugar.

OP< just track your total carbs, get enough protein and fats, stick to your calorie goal, and don't worry about it.
  • Aelita_92
    Options
    I've cut out as much as I can so far, I'm not sure how I did it exactly :P I still have a lot of fruit, and some honey.
    Honestly I didn't even realise how well I was doing until one day I compared my intake from like 2 years ago and I was eating 100+g sugar a day and now less than 50g. I don't think I had headaches or any side effects when cutting, probably because I was doing it so gradually.

Some things I did (gradually, I think it's easier to do it gradually):
    -I stopped adding sugar to things like tea and cereal
    -I try make my baking as sugar free as possible by either using agave (which I also try not to use at all, but sometimes I do use it), using honey, banana or unsweetened apple sauce, or finding recipes that are just sugar free. - Like pancakes, pancakes are meant to be a sugar free recipe! Or I just don't bake haha
    -On my oats I just have fruit and/or baking cocoa (only one ingredient - cocoa! yay for chocolate)
    -I read all nutritional labels and opt for the lowest sugar brand (this goes for almost everything I buy, it make shopping take forever xP fat, calorie, sodium, I check them all!)
    -I used to be the type of person that HAD to have something sweet after dinner, now after cutting desserts I don't really crave it anymore.
    -Dark chocolate
    -Reduced sugar jam
    -Natural peanut butter
    -I never eat lollies, never really have though.
    -Completely eliminating soda. And juice, although that was just a personal preference.
    -Making my own bars and muesli and stuff

That said, I still have my fair share of sugar everyday and some how frequently manage to have over 50g -.- usually I get my sugar from bread, fruit, vegetables and protein powder. But I do indulge a fair bit ;P I cannot live without my ice cream and chai lattes!

I'd have to say that I do, to an extent, find some sugary things too sweet now, like some people do. And I get a tummy ache, get super tired and get a headache if I eat too much sugar.
    And as great as it is to not have sugar, for me it makes desserts and treats more special :)

Idk, that's my input.
  • niklong
    niklong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The problem I've found with artificial sweeteners is that I want other junk food. I can't just drink a Coke Zero without wanting a salty snack.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I only eat real sugar I avoid all artificial sweeteners.

I never drink diet drinks but to be honest, I never drink fizzy drinks (Unless with RUM!) :-D

I have 1/2 tsp of regular sugar in my decaf teas. Thats the only sugar I use.