Plateau

Hello

This is the first time I have posted anything like this and curious the responses that I will get. I have recently hit a plateau after almost 25 pounds of weight loss. I am approaching my goal weight and knew my weight loss would slow down as I got closer. On a positive note, I did not gain any weight over the holidays at all and actually lost a pound or so.

I am currently eating about 1400 calories per day and exercising 3-4 times per week. My diet is pretty good, although I haven't completely given up sweets/desserts and really don't plan on it. I don't think that is a realistic goal for anyone and have not considered myself on a diet this entire time. I am eating smaller portions in general and limiting desserts and my weight loss has been steady.

I have been "stuck" at my current weight for several weeks now and looking for suggestions. I'm not discouraged really, just looking for something that might jump start something new in terms of losing the last 6-8 pounds that I'm looking to lose.

Thanks

Replies

• I just broke out of my plateau.....I wasn't drinking enough water ....you should be drinking half your weight in ounces. I also stated eating within 20minutes of waking. added daily multiple vitamins, as well as fish oil. if you have a hard time with keeping track of your water intake you can download an app to help...I use "water your body" That was just two days ago....I've lost two pounds since..good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Hello

This is the first time I have posted anything like this and curious the responses that I will get. I have recently hit a plateau after almost 25 pounds of weight loss. I am approaching my goal weight and knew my weight loss would slow down as I got closer. On a positive note, I did not gain any weight over the holidays at all and actually lost a pound or so.

I am currently eating about 1400 calories per day and exercising 3-4 times per week. My diet is pretty good, although I haven't completely given up sweets/desserts and really don't plan on it. I don't think that is a realistic goal for anyone and have not considered myself on a diet this entire time. I am eating smaller portions in general and limiting desserts and my weight loss has been steady.

I have been "stuck" at my current weight for several weeks now and looking for suggestions. I'm not discouraged really, just looking for something that might jump start something new in terms of losing the last 6-8 pounds that I'm looking to lose.

Thanks

Why as an active man are you eating 1400 calories? You should probably be closer to 2200 or more. If you want to break your plateau, here is what I always do and suggest. Set your account to maintain and don't exercise for 1-2 weeks. This will allow your body to regular hormones. Also, try to eat plenty of protein to enable muscle repair. After 1-2 weeks, come back and set your account to 1/2 lb per week and eat back 50% of your exercise calories or since you workout 3-4 days a week, set your account to lightly active and don't worry about exercise calories. Also, I would adjust macro's to around 35/40/25 c/p/f to help get enough protein.
  • isag401
    isag401 Posts: 3 Member
    thank you for the information but does that also apply to ladies or just guys?
  • psuLemon
    thank you for the information but does that also apply to ladies or just guys?

It certainly does apply to women.
  • Thanks for the thoughts. I have upped my caloric intake to about 1800ish and it has jumpstarted my weight loss again.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    ...I did not gain any weight over the holidays at all and actually lost a pound or so....

I wouldn't consider a couple weeks a plateau. But yes use the guidelines in the URL and start eating more.
  • psuLemon
    Thanks for the thoughts. I have upped my caloric intake to about 1800ish and it has jumpstarted my weight loss again.

That is awesome. It's amazing how properly fueling your body goes a long way. If you are still active, you should probably get higher than that, but it's a good start.
  • workoutchick
    workoutchick Posts: 93 Member
    know how you feel I've been stuck on the same weight for about 2 weeks ugh. Going to try to drink more water this week I'm changing my exercises.
  • psuLemon
    know how you feel I've been stuck on the same weight for about 2 weeks ugh. Going to try to drink more water this week I'm changing my exercises.

First, just to let you know, he upped it calories 400 per day and it's helping with weight loss. Second, adding more water will not help you lose weight unless you are retaining a lot of sodium. Water helps break down food for their nutrients but will not provide weight loss. Changing exercise can help but if you are still burning the same amount of calories, it probably won't help much. The better question is, how many calories are you eating?
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Open your diary and that will help us help you. 1400 calories for a guy is pretty small. Find out what your tdee is and use that as your calorie goal then exercise or create a deficit from that. Its easier at the end of the week to see "how in the green" you are and what you should have lost.
    Mind you, a calorie is not just a calorie BUT you need -3500 calories to lose a pound of fat.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Thanks for the thoughts. I have upped my caloric intake to about 1800ish and it has jumpstarted my weight loss again.

Again, don't use random numbers if you don't know what your tdee is. Its just too hard to calculate how much you should have lost. TDEE is where it is at and based on science and used in the medical field.
  • psuLemon

Again, don't use random numbers if you don't know what your tdee is. Its just too hard to calculate how much you should have lost. TDEE is where it is at and based on science and used in the medical field.

Actually, he can use random numbers to estimate his TDEE. If he consumes on average 1800 calories a day for 1 month and averages 1.5 lbs, then he can figure out his TDEE is 2550. This way, as he approaches a more normal weight, he can reduce his deficit by eating more. Even the best online equates are just estimates and you need to adjust from time to time.

I still think 1800 is too low for an active guy thought. I think 2200-2400 is better.