night time diet crash

Options
As far back as i can remember everytime i have started a new diet i will do very well early in the day and afternoon. However once the sun goes down i find myself plumeging through the fridge constantly and craving foods that i dont need to be eating (cookies, icecream, etc...) It drives me nuts if i dont eat it...but i feel like a failure for the day if i do...anyone else have this problem? Any insite on how to kill the cravings for good?

**i try not to have these things in the house however my husband and daughter make this difficult

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Throw those things out. On MFP, if you workout you can have those things anyway as long as you are under the calorie goal, exercise gives you more calories to eat.

I'm a big fan of triscuts and lowfat cheese for a late evening munchie snack as long as I have the calories to eat. Also been known to nuke some frozen blueberries, add some truvia for a sweet blueberry compote. Have a small serving of instant oatmeal with 1/2 apple and cinnamon.

There are ways to have sweet things and fit them into your day so that you are not practicing denial. Those ways are called exercise.
  • jmcphee1964
    jmcphee1964 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yes... I have that problem too. I try not to eat past 6pm but cannot so I am trying to leave some calories left for the evening and have a small snack. This way I don't feel guilty. My biggest accomplishment so far (only been doing this for 5 days!) is that I have avoided having a glass of wine in the evening. If I have a glass of wine I always end up wanting to eat so that has helped.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    1. Reduce your sugar intake (yes, even from fruit)
    Eating sugar can cause more sugar/simple carb cravings

2. Increase protein and fiber
    Both will keep you much more full than a high carb/fat diet

The other thing that worked for me was starting intermittent fasting. I do the 20/4 variation (fast for 20 hours, eat for 4) so I only eat between 7pm and 11pm. It worked wonders for me, but I understand it's not for everyone. Definitely do #1 and #2.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to eat more during the day. What is your net calorie number for a typical day? How much protein and fat do you get?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    As far back as i can remember everytime i have started a new diet i will do very well early in the day and afternoon. However once the sun goes down i find myself plumeging through the fridge constantly and craving foods that i dont need to be eating (cookies, icecream, etc...) It drives me nuts if i dont eat it...but i feel like a failure for the day if i do...anyone else have this problem? Any insite on how to kill the cravings for good?

**i try not to have these things in the house however my husband and daughter make this difficult

Your daughter doesn't need crap any more than you do in fact she needs a nutrient dense diet for healthy development and to keep risks of lifestyle diseases low, maybe ask your husband to please eat those foods when he is out of the house both to support your diet/ health goals and set a good example to your daughter.

Fill yourself up on a combination of protein, fibre, water and a little healthy fats - really stuff yourself with at least nine servings of non starchy vegetables and low sugar fruits - start with all of these at breakfast, what you eat then can have a bearing on later cravings. Avoid or limit foods that can spike and trough blood sugar like added sugars, long grain rice, processed wheat, white potatoes.