help for a diabetic

Options
I am a type one with no hope of coming off my insulin, but with the hopes of decreasing it with weight loss. My question is about lows. If you have a low sugar of say 50, do you count the calories you consume to raise your sugar back to normal levels. I have heard arguements both ways and wanted to know what you all think. Feel free to add me if you wish! always on the look out for more friends!

Thanks!

Replies

• nmalek1025
    Options
    Hey! I'm a type 1 diabetic as well. I've also wondered if we should add the cals from the glucose tabs to raise our sugar. I came to the conclusion to not add the calories. It's for my safety so I'd need those calories anyways and I don't want to sacrifice the calories coming from a nutritious meal just because I logged my glucose tabs! Most of the glucose tabs are under 100 cals too so I'm sure it doesn't make or break your healthy eating.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Yes I do count them. I count everything. I figure the extra calories wont hurt me occasionally. If you are having too frequent of lows then maybe you need to think about your ratio...I know I had to decrease my all my settings (I use a pump) as I have lost weight. The insulin resistance that I had built up started getting better and my insulin needs did drop considerably.
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I count everything - but if I go over on the days where I have to correct a hypo, then at least I have a reason and I remember why it happened :)
    Like you say, glucotabs usually come to just under 100 cals.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am T2 but a med I have can make me go low. I count everything I consume, sugar tabs, orange juice, everything. I don't go low often thankfully.
  • shortxtina
    shortxtina Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always count the juice or glucose tabs I take for a low. I figure it is still calories going into my body. I hate that it eats into my daily calorie/carb count but as people with diabetes we have that added burden to losing weight. But it's still possible. I agree that if you are having frequent lows to talk to you doctor and recheck your insulin dose.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't have too many lows but was just wondering what everyone here thought!