My baby turns ONE

Options
What kind of birthday cake can I make that is clean? Open to suggestions

Replies

• BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    I don't know if it's special enough but it is clean and yummy, slow cooker carrot cake

Ingredients
    olive oil cooking spray
    1 1/4 cups all purpose spelt flour
    1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
    1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/2 cup unsweetened sultana raisins (golden raisins)
    1 large egg white
    1 tsp flaxseed, ground, mixed with 2 tsp water
    1/2 cup honey
    1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1/4 cup buttermilk or low-fat plain yogurt
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    4 oz carrot, peeled and finely shredded (about 1/2 cup packed)

cheese honey drizzle ingredients
    1/4 cup cream cheese
    1 Tbsp raw organic honey
    1 lemon, finely zested and juiced, divided (Dr. J thinks this is to much lemon and not enough honey :)

Instructions:
    Cut parchment to fit bottom and sides of stoneware insert. (worked perfect with my 3 quart slow cooker...might not be enough for a big slow cooker). Spray inserts or dish with cooking spray and line with prepared parchment.

Place flour, coconut, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and whisk lightly to combine. Stir in raisins.

In a separate large bowl, combine egg white and flax-water mixture and whisk until bubbles form. Add honey, applesauce, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and whisk until well blended. Stir in dry ingredients, until just mixed. Fold in carrot and pour mixture into prepared stoneware dish. Cover entire top of slow cooker with three layers of paper towel and secure with lid. This will catch the extra condensation in the slow cooker and prevent the cake from getting too moist. Bake for two hours on low or until a knife inserted in centre of cake comes out dry. Remove stoneware dish and place on cooling rack until cool.

Slice cake into ten equal portions, about three ounces each and serve warm or at room temperature with one tablespoon Cream Cheese Honey Drizzle.

Cream Cheese Honey Drizzle
    In a small bowl, heat cream cheese on high in microwave until slightly warm, about 10 to 15 seconds. Remove from microwave and use a rubber spatula to stir honey into cream cheese until smooth. Add pinch lemon zest and two teaspoons lemon juice and continue to stir. Slowly add two tablespoons water, a bit at a time, until mixture is consistency of thick cream.

Calories for 3 oz cake and 1 tbsp drizzle is 190.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Google it. I'm sure you'll find plenty of recipes.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Just add hand sanitizer to clean it up.
  • mhaight85
    Options
    My sis-in-law makes a black bean chocolate cake not sure how "clean" it is but I'm sure it's healthier than Pillsbury cake mix.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Google it. I'm sure you'll find plenty of recipes.

I did :) Just want some ideas from those who've tried the actual recipes. I'd love to do peanut butter and chocolate chunk brownies, but that is not happening.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My husband just had a birthday and he wants Red Velvet Cake. So I have a recipe from Skinnytaste.com for Cupcakes and I am just going to turn it into a cake. :) I think it is like 141 Calories for a cupcake, so it would be a little over that for a nice slice of cake but that is not to bad if you watch the rest of your day carefully.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

Just add hand sanitizer to clean it up.
    ]

Windex works well too.
  • adamkelda
    adamkelda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Black bean brownies are super yummy! Incredibly rich. Definitely recommend.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I make all my cakes from scratch.. they may not be "clean" per se but they are better than the mixes. I just made my 6 year old a rainbow cake from Brown Eyed Baker with a sturdy whipped cream frosting from AllRecipes.

From the parent of a child with a peanut allergy, be careful with peanut butter if your child hasn't had it yet.. you don't want a reaction at the birthday party.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Ooh black bean brownies and carrot cake sound yum.
  • ewennmacher
    Options
    I make a gluten free carrot cake that is super yummy. not sure it counts as clean, but you cant tell its gluten free at all!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    When my son turned 1 I made a carrot cake from scratch so I could control the ingredients and make sure they were organic, etc. I also added applesauce and carrot puree to make it more moist and reduced the fat. but that was when he turned 1. when he turned 2 I also made the cake...but I wasn't so obsessed with reducing sugar, etc. - he doesn't eat many sweets, rarely has juice etc. and he is willing to eat a variety of foods including veggies and fruit - so I figured let him have suggary sweet cake for his birthday.