Kids & Organic Food?!

Options
Struggling with transitioning my kids to organic, clean food!! Half of the time they don't even wanna try it!! Any advice?!? ????

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Don't give them the option; they eat it for dinner or they can eat it for breakfast when it's cold and gross. Or try introducing things slowly. Make them have a "no thank you, I don't care for any" serving. I don't have kids so take this as you will.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    When I changed to clean eating I just let the regular stock of food get used up and then would replace with healthier, clean food. The only item I had any rebellion on was Fat Free milk so I went back to 2% for the kids. They'll sometimes want somethings and I try to come up with the healthiest version possible. I limit how much I made at meal times so there isn't seconds. If your still hungry, go grab a fruit, yogurt, or veggies out of the fridge. FYI, my kids are: girl, 14, 110 lbs. and a boy, 13, 98 lbs. They don't exercise past what they get walking to and from school, about 1/3 mile one direction.

I'm on a very tight budget and can't afford to buy two sets of food for them and me. They just aren't given a choice. If they don't like what I've put on the table, they're welcome to cook for family the next day. There just isn't back up food like instant frozen dinners and pizza pockets in my freezer.
  • rainavsfood
    rainavsfood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier said than done... My youngest went without dinner the night before last & without breakfast this morning because she refused to try it! I don't know which is worse!?
  • rainavsfood
    Options
    I'm slowly transitioning my pantry & fridge too... Swapping out for organic when the other is gone, I think that's smart... I agree that some of it doesn't taste as ' good' as the fake processed junk but we still need to make the changes... My kids are 5 & 6 so I'm just struggling with getting them to understand & adjust! ????
  • islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I work with kids for a living. They get what I feed them. It starts at home that life doesn't cater to their every whim. It is a good thing you are starting to eat cleaner and go organic. They will get hungry enough and eat what you give them eventually, they won't starve.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Presumably you strongly encourage your children to do many things they don't want to, prevent them from doing certain things they desire, that is part of teaching your children a moral code and discipline. You make them go to school and perhaps church, brush their teeth and take a shower, go to bed at a sensible time, do their homework or chores, say please and thank you. Don't really see how food and nutrition is any different, how do you encourage or punish other desirable or undesirable behaviours? Supernanny and similar systems have reward charts and time outs, kids getting involved in meal planning, shopping and cooking. We had small amounts of everything put on our plate and we ate it end of story it was never an option not to: just don't allow any rubbish and they will likely get hungry at some point. They won't die or even get a disease from skipping a meal, they will get sick eventually from eating junk even if it takes years for the damage to show.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, very few people love veggies and healthy food when they start eating it. Your palate takes about 2 weeks to adjust to different + new foods.

Perhaps make them more fun for kids, cut the veggies into fun shapes, explain to them why you're eating organic, show them where food comes from? I watch a lot of cooking shows and those are some tips chefs use to get kids to eat healthier. Good luck! You sound like a great mom.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Do they have any interest in helping in the kitchen?
    They can help choose the fruits and or veggies you get at the store- 1 new fruit or veggie or more each trip.

help chop simple things like bananas for a fruit salad with a butter knife.
    one of my daughter's fav. things to make. even better if she decides what's in it, and with yogurt.

how about smoothies or muffins for breakfast?
    omelets?

I also explain to my kids in terms they can understand why we are getting this instead of that.
    Like I won't even buy the little tiny 'yogurt' cups with Dora on them.
    loaded with sugar
    my kids hate that there's barely anything in the cup
    for the price you can get so much more yogurt when you buy the adult version,
    and choose your fruit/flavors
  • rainavsfood
    Options
    Thank you all for the help! I guess I just need to get my big girl panties on & suck it up!! I know it'll take time too... I just exoect them to love it like I do! They love fruit & veges already, I guess it's just breaking them from Cheez-it's & sugar-loaded cereals & other convenience foods!!
  • katy_trail
    Options
    There are recipes to make your own cheese crackers. Maybe you could try making it with them?

I'm not even going to try prying the cheeze-it's from my family, but I can understand minimizing the chemicals,
    and other things added to get away from processed food.
    Maybe just try to find a way you can make something similar, even if it's not super healthy,
    if you make it at home, there's no mystery ingredients.

here's a recipes they'll go for:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ieihh8lcVg

made it with my daughter twice now. Way better than pudding cups or instant pudding from the box.
    all the kids love it, and she loved helping make it. super easy and super fast to make.
    also, I had better results using corn starch than flour as the thickener, but either way very tasty.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    the blog the recipe is from is called bexlife, also a great website to learn about going clean, organic, gardening, all that.
    she has kids, urban chicken farm, worm composting, workouts, recipes, garden tips...
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Don't tell them it's organic....just make the food and like I told my son: eat what I fix or go hungry. He ate what I fixed.

There were only a few things he absolutely didn't like and I didn't make him eat that (tomatoes, lasagna and apples)...it wasn't much, so I always gave him an alternative for it.
  • rainavsfood
    Options
    the blog the recipe is from is called bexlife, also a great website to learn about going clean, organic, gardening, all that.
    she has kids, urban chicken farm, worm composting, workouts, recipes, garden tips...

Thank you so much!!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I transitioned the kids from mac & cheese and chicken nuggets a few years ago. Now I make one meal for everyone and everyone eats it. The first couple weeks it was a struggle, especially for my son, who was about 5 at the time. He sat at the table and pouted, until we'd had enough and sent him up to his room without dinner. I didn't make him eat it for breakfast. That lasted for two or three days, and then he started eating. Now it's not an issue. Sometimes he will grumble about what's in front of him "FISH?! I don't like fish, waaah!", but he eats it, and almost always ends up liking it after all.

I incorporate ingredients and flavors that I know they do like, along with extra vegetables. Last night we had roasted cauliflower, kale and chicken sausage, with a side of whole grain pasta with a little butter. Both kids ate without complaint. Soups are a great way to use a lot of healthy ingredients.

But just because they eat what I make doesn't mean they don't want junk food. They would still pick a cheeseburger over anything I put in front of them if it was offered. It's just not an option.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help! I guess I just need to get my big girl panties on & suck it up!! I know it'll take time too... I just exoect them to love it like I do! They love fruit & veges already, I guess it's just breaking them from Cheez-it's & sugar-loaded cereals & other convenience foods!!

Could you make your own granola? Even if you use too much natural sweetener to start with and reduce over time. I believe kids can have xylitol and it's beneficial for dental health. Maybe the same with salt if they are used to a lot hidden in convenience foods, start with Lo Salt (sodium plus potassium) and slowly decrease the amount over time.
  • rainavsfood
    Options
    I need to try making my own foods... I just haven't gotten to it yet! I'm only on my 2nd week of clean eating!! I'm loving it so far & I appreciate any advice!! :) I need to start researching some recipes!! :)
  • katy_trail
    Options
    http://smittenkitchen.com/recipes/

Many vegetarian recipes on here. Not everything is healthy, low fat, low carb, but she makes it super simple often with just 5 ingredients + seasonings. easy to follow recipes and tips for what to watch for if you need to adjust anything.
    she shows how to make apple cider caramels, ice cream bars....now I cant remember what else, but often she decides to make something we all love and makes a homemade version which is so much better than the store/factory version. and we know what's in it. Oh yeah, and marshmellows is another one.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add - when I make plain steamed veggies, I let my kids dip them in light ranch dressing, ketchup or whatever sauce they want.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Once everyone gets used to it they really wont fight. You'll be greatful that your not a short order cook any longer. I really don't recommend ketchup and ranch though (salt / fat). I mix my veggies into the spaghetti sauce for the picky eater and now she eats it. I smuggle a lot of items that way. My oldest, who refuses to eat broccoli and peas alone out of the steamer eats it just fine when the broccoli is chopped into oblivion and unrecognizable.

There will always be something they just wont eat. Mine just don't eat corn. At all, they eat around it and pick through leaving the little golden nuggets on their plates (the dogs are thrilled). I just make sure I'm making up for Vitamin C, Folic Acid, and Thiamine in other ways. They also take daily vitamins. It's part of their morning routine now along with get dressed and brush my teeth.

You'll find your kids will accually feel better and have less energy crashes (translates to toddler / teenage meltdowns) when they eat healthier.

Remember not to tell them its a diet. Diet is an ugly word. My kids like clean eating because it makes their food sound healthier and safer.

Good luck girl!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Our ped says there are 3 things you can't force your kids to do: eat, sleep, pee/poop. All you can do is set up the environment and let them at it. If you're potty training, take off the diaper and put them on the potty. If it's bedtime, turn off the light and put them to bed. If it's time for a meal, serve it, and leave them to it. It was really hard for me to accept that when it came to food. We've always done organic but they make organic food that's processed so we haven't always been on the clean eating band wagon. There have been numerous days when my now 3 year old skipped multiple meals and just snacked on fruit and veggies because she refused to try things or threw a fit b/c she wanted something else. But I just refuse to have the kid who only eats chicken strips and ketchup! I don't have a ton of advice b/c we really have just had to let her make the decision to eat or not to eat, but I've found that having her help me in the kitchen has made her more open minded. She wants to taste all of the ingredients and then is totally thrilled to try the finished product. Not a super healthy meal, but a good example. We made meatloaf and when DH got home she just screamed about how it had eggs in it and this spice and that spice and breadcrumbs and like ohmygod, can you believe it all turned into this?? I've also found that she's really picky about appearance. I can cut a carrot into lengths and quarter them and she refuses. But I hand the kid a whole carrot and she'll eat the whole thing. You'll figure it out! Congratulations on making the best choice for your family!