diet overload

Hello, I have definite eating issues that somehow I just can't get passed. I am 5 foot six inches and weigh 130lbs and just feel as though if I didn't eat all the "garbage" food than I could loose the ten pounds I want to. I have every diet book out there and they are not the starving diet book they are truly dieting tips that work but I just can't seem to implement them. I need help and I am hoping that I can come to this place to get it.

Replies

• dkinne34
    dkinne34 Posts: 7 Member
    Hello, I have definite eating issues that somehow I just can't get passed. I am 5 foot six inches and weigh 130lbs and just feel as though if I didn't eat all the "garbage" food than I could loose the ten pounds I want to. I have every diet book out there and they are not the starving diet book they are truly dieting tips that work but I just can't seem to implement them. I need help and I am hoping that I can come to this place to get it.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Sometimes detoxing from the garbage foods for a week or two can help you develop some control to say no to them like sugars and fast foods. If you could just suffer and be wiilling to be miserable for a week or two your body may not crave them as much. Be strict with yourself, knowing it is only to get them out of your body and you can reintroduce healthier versions of them back into your diet. It's a suggestion that is easier said than done....and also very easy to fall back into the bad habits again you would have to check in with your diet every once and a while when you sense you are falling to get back on track
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    It's true. Tips and advice only get you so far as you've already discovered. The first couple of weeks were the hardest for me. It's takes a little 'pain and sacrifice' but after that it gets a little easier.

You have to Want It. If you can't stop reaching for the food, you'll never get anywhere. One thing I personally focused on was getting a list of what are 'low calorie density' foods. My rule of thumb is if it has less calories than grams (or roughly that) then it goes on my menu. Fish, potatoes, etc. This way I think I've tended to feel more full than if I'd eaten all kinds of fluffy calorie stuff.

Once you do start seeing some progress, you'll likely feel more inspired to work with the program.

Stay out of MacDonalds and all those crap food places. Stay out of the cookie and ice cream aisles. Nobody has a gun to your head making you pick that stuff up, so it's all on you. :smile:

That said, nobody's perfect. If you can get it right Most of the time, you'll be fine. Don't give up!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    dkinne - you're BMI is very healthy - why do you obsess about your weight?

I don't mean to be a witch, but I think you need to ask yourself that - more than once. You've admitted to owning many diet books, but not following any advice. I think something deeper is going on here.

Do you want to be healthy or thin? Find out. Find out why.

After you find out, take one "eating," not "diet," tip and implement it. Give up all processed sugar for two weeks, for example. See how it goes. Don't beat yourself up about eating high fats at the same time. Take baby steps, you'll become a healthier eater.
  • yenn2
    yenn2 Posts: 25
    I'm with deanea, I've heard that you can form a new habit by doing anything for THREE WEEKS. And I know for sure that the more sugar (or sweet things like diet drinks even) you eat, the more you crave; same with things that are salty. If you think you can't do too much during the holidays when you're being tempted, choose just ONE HABIT (like McDonald's, or the thing you get at Starbuck's every day; substitute it for something one step better like non-fat or sugar free, or skip the muffin -- ) that is part of your daily life you won't miss. When you've had one small success, you will be more likely to want to repeat that with other things !! Weed things out one by one and soon you'll be eating better food. Marywilldiet has it right on; a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step ... even a baby step !

That said, healthful doesn't always mean low-cal, and vice versa. Also, although BMI is used to define obesity, you can technically be obese at any height /weight combo (fat weighs less than muscle !! Anorexics can be "too fat" because of their fat to lean muscle mass ratio) so aim for fit and healthy within your BMI with a healthy body fat percentage. You may find you'll still be 5'6" and 130 (which is what I am) and drop two or three sizes by exchanging unhealthy blobby weight for lean (yet heavy) muscle mass !! Good luck.
  • dkinne34
    dkinne34 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you all for giving me the advice that you gave me. I understand that I probably have underlying issues that I have had to grow up with. These issues that I have will be forever in my life. I feel as though every bite of food that I eat is putting fat on me. I don't eat out at McDonalds EVER but I am restricted in what healthy foods that I can eat. I have GERD very bad and when I eat fruits and vegetables I am in agony with my stomach so it definately is trying and my selections are few. But thanks again for all the advice.
    Dkinne