Slimming world?

Options
Hi everyone.

Im looking to lose my last 10 kilos and is proving to be difficult. I curently weigh 70 kilos. Its a long process and have lost the motivation. Ive come across Slimming World. There is a group literally 4 mins away. Im thinking of attending and seeing how it goes. A bit confused on how it works, how you can actually lose weight with having as much rice potatoes bananas etc as you want. Ive lost my weight by cutting down on carbs and fruits (sugar basically).

Can anyone tell me if they have joined SW before and does it work? What the success stories? On average how much do you lose per week?

Yasmin

Replies

• AliceAsya
    AliceAsya Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    From a calorie standpoint a calorie is a calorie. Therefore if you need to eat at 1500 calories to lose weight then calorically it doesn't matter if it comes from kale or twinkies. Nutritionally speaking you're better off with nutritious food, it's better for you and will keep you more satiated.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My ex sister-in-laws were members of Slimming World in Northern Ireland and I followed the diet whenever I was visiting them. They had success when they stuck with it but often fell off the wagon and the pounds came back. Telling me I could eat as much as I wanted of something was dangerous, I seemed to lose my full-up switch.

I am loving MFP, it's just clicked for me, calories in vs calories burned seems to make more sense to me, and it's free to use.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally done SW but I have a few friends who did - it gives quick and great results but the moment you go back to eating more normally BANG WHALLOP you gain it all back! you have to be determined to eat that way for life if you want to keep it off - thats why I prefer MFP's way, count cals and eat back most exercise cals, its NOT a diet, not when I eat more now than I did PRE 'diet'!! I wasn't eating enough before and gained a stone/14lbs over a period of a couple of years.

Each to their own, but MFP rocks :)

I have never been this successful before! I know this time the weight is gone for good and its still coming off :-D plus I feel fitter and healthier than I have done for years cos now I make an effort to exercise regularly.
  • Fillerbunny79
    Fillerbunny79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just done my first week on slimming world and I lost a pound. My stepmum recently lost over two stone on it. It's pretty counterintuitive and I was really skeptical, but I reckon it's worth a go if you're in a rut. Plus it is *so good* to be able to eat pasta again! (I hadn't really eaten any for years!). You still eat loads of nutritious food, it basically just seems like a very low fat, low processed sugar diet. It seems quite expensive though; I've (naughtily) just borrowed all the literature from a friend and am doing it by myself. Good luck!
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have one friend who did really well before Christmas (lost over a stone) and is starting back this week. However I have another friend who ended up putting on weight.

I think it depends on the person, but if you are honestly logging everything on here and getting exercise, I can't see the benefit of paying to go and get weighed each week when you can weigh yourself at home and get loads of support and advice here.
  • extraleggy68
    extraleggy68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's all about the Super Free (on Extra Easy) 1/3 plate must be non-starchy veg, 1/3 rice pasta etc, 1/3 meat. Snack on fruit and veg. SW is not about eating normally or not, it is a change in attitude to the crap that is so readily available these days. There should be no 'going back to eating normally', this should be your normal, it's about a balanced, healthy diet.

The more SF you eat (there are such things as superspeed fruit and veg too, like celery) the easier the weight comes off. For example, my boyf has lost 7stone following the plan in the last 3 years. You shouldn't have carbs on their own with out the veg, that's how you can have as much as you like.

My advice would be to go and give it a go. It's steady but thats the point (average weight loss 1-2lb a week but you don't want excess skin do you?! Of course the more exercise you do the more you'll burn but make sure to replenish with fresh produce not Syns just because youve burnt it off), you dont feel deprived or hard done by, you can have a bar of chocolate or a bag of crisps, they are the Syns. Rice, Pasta, potatoes are free but I always weight and fill up on onions, peppers, tomatoes, salad, mushrooms, basically all the SFs.

I don't really know anything about the Red/Green days as I can;t do with out meat and carbs together- Farming background, it's just how I'm wired! But I do love the plan and I love trying new recipes and being able to fill up.

I've followed the plan this week to shift some xmas weight and have lost 4lb.

Go and give it a try, you might be surprised. Get the consultant to explain exactly how it works, it can be tough to get ones head around but it's not difficult once you're used to it. The groups are great support and members produce tailored and favourite recipes to try.

Good luck

Hx
  • bugsy420
    bugsy420 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the quick replies.

I didnt even realise theres so much support on this site.

I guess its mixed reviews. And the fact that a third of your plate must be veggies and a third meat then obviously you would lose right, because your filling up on the fruit and veg. So its another way of just cutting calories. And the fact that there is hardly any fat intake worries me nutritionally as you need some fat to absorb some vitamins. I guess its about balancing things. Will give MFP a go properly. I have a wedding in May so if I havent lost anything in a month or so then I may just try SW.

Thanks again for the replies :)

Yasmin
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have friends in work who are on it and they have lost a little weight. From what I understand from them is they're not allowed to really eat fat, which i find really odd to cut a whole food group out. I notice their fat free (but high in sugar and salt) alternatives in the fridge at work and I really don't get it.
  • extraleggy68
    extraleggy68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have friends in work who are on it and they have lost a little weight. From what I understand from them is they're not allowed to really eat fat, which i find really odd to cut a whole food group out. I notice their fat free (but high in sugar and salt) alternatives in the fridge at work and I really don't get it.

There shouldn't be any high sugar/salt alternatively because SW is about getting back to basics with food. There is no meal replacements it's about cooking yourself so you know what's in it :-) I've lost 2.5lb this week on SW.

Likewise with the fatty meats, you can have it but you have to count it as Syns and take that out of your daily allowance, for instance if I decided that I was having sausages for tea with mashed potato, carrots and peas, I would have to Syn my sausages as they are fatty, my mash and peas are free but carrots are Super free. If I was to swap the sausages for a chicken breast my chicken breast is free so instantly I have reduced my syns for that day.

Each member is allowed around 15 Syns a day, if I chose to Syn sausages then I couldn't have a small kitkat at 4 Syns, but if I had chicken then I could have the Kitkat. The Syns are there as a balance and you are encouraged to have them so you don't feel deprived and then undo all the good work that healthy eating does.

I hope that makes sense?!