just created a killer soup! wanted to share with you

Options
mistressmozart
mistressmozart Posts: 44 Member
oh my god it's sooo yummy and filling!

This makes 12 servings (just over a cup). Perfect size to go with a salad or sandwich. Each serving is 53 calories!!! (there may actually be more servings as i haven't measured it out exactly). This soup is very thick so you can add more water at the end to thin it out and get even more servings and lower the calorie count.

Ingredients:

1 medium onion
1 cup green lentils
1 aubergine (eggplant)
1 clove of garlic
1 15 oz can of tomatoes (stewed, peeled). don't throw out the juice, you'll use it!
1 tbsp olive oil
ground cumin
curry powder
ground black pepper
fenyl seeds
cayenne pepper
fresh coriander (cilantro)
1 vegetable bullion cube (low sodium)
about 4 cups of water
(you can use 4 cups of stock instead of the cube)
1/4 cup (or less) plain light yogurt

Peel the eggplant and slice (approx 1/4 inch thick), then cut the slices in half. Put one teaspoon of olive oil, pepper and a sprinkle of salt, toss slices. Roast on a foil lined baking sheet at 250c for about 10 minutes. Remove and wrap in foil and let sit while you're doing other stuff.

Chop onion and garlic. Saute with olive oil, pepper, a little curry powder. Add tomatoes and aubergine and saute a bit more then add 3 cups of water/broth and juice from tomatoes. Bring to a boil add the cube (if using), Then add the lentils. Reduce heat and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Add water/broth if needed. Add the cumin. curry powder, cayenne according to your taste. You can even add a tiny pinch of cinnamon.

Once the lentils are tender, remove from heat, add a few leaves of the coriander and blend with an immersion blender or in a regular blender. Add more water if you want to thin it out. Stir in yogurt (again, according to your taste).

Enjoy!! it's a perfect winter soup and as I said, sooo filling! :smile:

Foodgasm!

Replies

• conleeper
    Options
    Sounds yummy, thanks for sharing, I'll try it.
  • mistressmozart
    Options
    my pleasure, enjoy! and congrats on your weight loss!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    That sounds very tasty and bonus that it's so low cal too! Thanks for sharing :)
  • Shareyoursmile
    Options
    Can't wait to try this! Looking at the spices you used I know my husband will enjoy this too.

I'm 3 days old to this site and am wondering if there is a way to save your recipe so that I can easily find it at a later date?

Thanks for sharing,
    Shareyoursmile Jan
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    THANKS
    FABULOUS!
    :flowerforyou:
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Yum I'll have to try it
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    My roommate is the chef and soup genius... I may have to try this and knock her socks off ;)

Thanks!!!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this! Looking at the spices you used I know my husband will enjoy this too.

I'm 3 days old to this site and am wondering if there is a way to save your recipe so that I can easily find it at a later date?

Thanks for sharing,
    Shareyoursmile Jan

I print them out and put them into a folder inside my cookbooks!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I had to check and make sure it wasn't really a "killer." (That would be inappropriate.) :wink:
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • kireos
    kireos Posts: 1
    Options
    This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try this soup out :)
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yum!!
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Options
    Gotta try this, thanks for sharing
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • nikkicormier82
    nikkicormier82 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • mistressmozart
    Options

Thanks for sharing,
    Shareyoursmile Jan

I'm new here too, not sure! You could input the ingredients into your recipe and then it will be saved. Or maybe if we're friends you can see my recipes. i'll add you :)
  • mistressmozart
    Options
    Sounds good. I had to check and make sure it wasn't really a "killer." (That would be inappropriate.) :wink:

yes, absolutely! better safe than sorry ;)
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! Thanks!