over protein allowance

Options
I noticed on Monday I went way over my protein allowance as I had steak for dinner, we always have steak on Mondays so this is something I'll learn to live with.
Just entered spaghetti bolognese for tonight's meal and its put me over again, tho still well under calories.
My question is, does that matter? Are there negative effects to too much protein or is it just telling me I've had what's recommended?

Replies

• johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Protein is not a minimum, it is a maximum. You should probably always be over your protein goals set by mfp. Consider the carbs and fat setting to be the highest levels you should eat, and the protein setting to be the least amount of protein you should eat in a day.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Nope, not al all...MFP 's settings for protein is way too low anyways...If you don't have kidney issues, go for it...I've manually set my protein to 40% - comes to 170g per day....No issues...
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am not sure, but my dietician encourages not exceeding 90 grams.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I am not sure, but my dietician encourages not exceeding 90 grams.

Your dietician would HATE me...
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 60 g of protein a day to start with and that always goes up depending on what i do for exercise that day. I've found a different website that tells me that i should be taking in .88 g of protein for every pound i weigh and that's for me losing weight. I try to shoot for more protein because it helps build lean muscle which ultimately burns more fat.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Mine is often over as well. My nutritionist said I was fine when I showed him my food diary.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    -39 102 17 -161 -44 16
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sugar Fiber

That was yesterday for me.

161 g over and proud of it. Don't sweat it =)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Protein

Protein should make up 10 to 35 percent of your diet, equaling between 50 and 175 g per day. Again, with increased exercise, you place greater demand on your body's metabolism and need to consume more protein. Protein is helpful for restoring damaged cellular tissue. You need about .8 g of protein per 1 kg of body weight. If you exercise more than an hour a day or lift weights heavily, you need up to 1.5 g per 1 kg body weight.

I personally aim for 150 gm per day, hoping to retain and/or build muscle mass while losing fat.

*ETA - source is livestrong article
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    MFP is too low. I would shoot for double that number, at least.
  • 2013queen
    Options
    Oh cool. On here it says 79 for me. I shan't worry then and keep on with what I'm doing. thanks!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I too have learned to live with steak. It's been a process. Some days are better than others... but through dedication and group therapy, things are looking up. I wish you the best through this process. FR me if you need support. Or A-1 sauce.
  • 2013queen
    Options
    I know. Its a ***** every week but somehow I push on through. First world problems I think my daughter calls that.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Protein is not a minimum, it is a maximum. You should probably always be over your protein goals set by mfp. Consider the carbs and fat setting to be the highest levels you should eat, and the protein setting to be the least amount of protein you should eat in a day.

Scratch that - reverse it. :flowerforyou:
  • 2013queen
    Options
    I too have learned to live with steak. It's been a process. Some days are better than others... but through dedication and group therapy, things are looking up. I wish you the best through this process. FR me if you need support. Or A-1 sauce.

I'm OK for sauce. M&S do the most incredible pepper one.
  • 2013queen
    Options

Scratch that - reverse it. :flowerforyou:

I did wonder!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I look at it as a dietary failure if I see green in the protein field, lol. I think my preset is at 170g to consume daily and it's a lot to get to, but nowhere remotely close to impossible.
  • krisbeck1982
    krisbeck1982 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    how do you manually change your protein to 40%? i'm looking at diatary settings but i still can't figure out how...?
  • tnloser1970
    Options
    The truth is you are going to get different answers from different people. I am not sure there is really a right or wrong. The Center for Disease Control says you should get 10 to 35 percent of your daily calories from protein. My doctor told me eat 30% protein/30% healthy fats/40% carbs. That is also recommended by Dan here on MFP. I am including a link to his thread that breaks it down and help you calculate how much your body needs. I hope it helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting it all in without going over carbs/fat. Hard boiled eggs are slowly becoming a daily thing, but what are other low fat/carb snacks?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MFP's macro defaults are total crap IMHO. It's very carb heavy and low protein/low fat. You can manually change your macros. Protein consumption should be roughly .8 - 1G for every Lb of lean body mass. Getting enough protein is always important and even more so when you are eating at a deficit as it will help you retain lean body mass while you're burning the fat. It is also necessary for muscle growth. Try shooting for 40/30/30 or 50/25/25 (carbs/protein/healthy fat). Like UCB said...when I see green on my protein, I've failed that day...

One caveat here is if you have kidney issues. If you have kidney issues you need to watch your protein intake.