Do you use your excercise calories?

Options
I work out every morning ussualy burning 300-500 calories. to this point i have only been eating my original calories aloted to me by MFP. Should I be eating all the calories I have?

Replies

• glubben
    glubben Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    (Bump)
  • jackswife1207
    jackswife1207 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of choice. If you want to use them you can but don't have to. But you probably will lose faster if you don't use them.

When I was a WW member, the leader used to say "of course I use my activity points, that's the whole point of exercising!" ;)
  • blanhe2
    blanhe2 Posts: 88
    Options
    I do, and I recommend you eat at least half of them. Your body needs them, since your cal target is already a deficit from your maintenance cals.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Every single one of them.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I don't
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Never. I don't even log them.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I work out every morning ussualy burning 300-500 calories. to this point i have only been eating my original calories aloted to me by MFP. Should I be eating all the calories I have?
    I eat my exercise calories back no matter what.
    Why?
    Because if our calorie deficit is too great, we can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.
    Check out this topic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/238282-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing-redux?hl=700+calories

I try to just stick with the MFP recommendations.
    Good Luck To You
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I just eat them if I'm hungry!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use most of them. When you set up your account MFP builds in a defecit, meaning you will lose weight without any exercise. Then you add in exercise making that defecit larger and increasing your chance of losing muscle and slowing down your metabolism making it that much harder to lose weight. Keep a modest defecit and you will lose mostly fat, have more energy, retain more muscle, keep your metabolism up and lose inches like crazy. At least that's my experience! Good luck!
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Nope.

No calorie burn counter is ever accurate, so I'm never sure how much I burn.
  • reemer884
    reemer884 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would use them only when you really feel like you need to. There is no point in eating more if your body isn't telling you to do so.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    down 70 pounds and I NEVER do.... if you are more than 50 lbs overweight ( OBESE) its a waste of time to do so...NO OBESE PERSON will go into STARVATION MODE!!!!!! your body has enough fat in storage to fuel it...

as you get closer to goal weight, your body will need more energy to burn off fat so you will then have to up your calories (energy)
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I drink the ones I don't eat. :laugh:
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I exercise more to eat more... that's the point... or so I thought?!

On my days I don't exercise, I still eat about the same thing, if not more to trick my body so it doesn't become stagnant.

You don't want your body to go into starvation mode, then you will be completely stuck and the scale will not budge.

When you do eat and EAT your exercise calories, make sure it's healthy foods (fruits, veg, nuts, seeds, etc) and not junk (like I sometimes tend to do - so guilty!)
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I eat most of mine back. When I started on MFP, I tried not to, but the more you exercise, the more your body needs for fuel so EAT THEM. nomnomnom
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    There are sooooo many topics posted on this. It may help to use the search function and read what others have said about it in the past. I personally do eat some but not all of my cals back. It just depends on how hungry I am. To each their own, just do what works for you,
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi I dont use my exercise calories but i am not worried about using a small percentage, for the reason that its an estimate any way
    and I dont excercise everyday :)
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    sometimes, usually only if i'm going out to dinner drinking, eating,and raging.
  • eaturnermdt
    eaturnermdt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually eat most of mine. I try not to hit negative... But right now I have my cals at 1200 a day, so any extra I gain from exercise isn't going to hurt at all, especially since MFP already puts you at a deficit.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I try to eat every single one back! lol I also watch my macros though, so I'll eat as much as I can without going over on my carbs and sodium.