You Can Not Quit.

Options
Why shouldn't you quit? It's as simple as this:

American life expectancy is now lower than 27 other countries in the world. We are killing themselves with our food and our laziness - but the good news is that people like you and me are doing something about it. Congratulate yourselves for being a part of the solution.

But read the article I posted below. Think about it. And know that you're not only doing this for yourselves, but you're creating an example for everyone else in your life. You're doing something to END the trend America's been creating for itself. We're reaching the first point in American history where the current generation may die younger than the preceding generation.

Are you ok with that?

You can't quit. You just can't. Because this is bigger than you. It's about your friends. It's about your family. It's about your kids. It's about leaving a better country behind when things are all said and done. So this is the situation. These are the stakes. But the ball is in your court. It's up to you.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/09/health/international-health-report/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Replies

• heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Very well said!!
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying I respect your point of view.

I would argue that the larger issue in question is the culture of excess that has the potential to cause global upheaval - because of food inqualities, because of resource consumption as developing economies grow, and yes, because of resource consumption on a planet that cannot replenish resources as fast as we are using them. Longevity is nice, but me, I'd rather have a global economy that functions without eating an ever-growing number of the extremely poor - or conversely, I'd appreciate not allowing the resource gap to become so extreme that the extreme poor come to eat me. Personally, I believe we're entering a phase of history where, once again, humans will be dying of scarcity, violence, and weather far before they have a chance to die of unhealthy old age.

In other words, the end is nigh! So get healthy, but don't get narcissistic.