The Death Of Common Sense

Options

Replies

• BIG_Lew
    BIG_Lew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Common sense is so rare it should be considered a super power...
    Soooooo true
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Also, the McDonald's woman suffered third-degree burns over six percent of her body and lesser burns over 16%. Of her ENTIRE body. They had the coffee set much, much hotter than they should have.

For good, third-degree-causing, skin-grafting reasons. (Unless you're cool with third degree burns and skin grafting from your morning cup 'o joe. In that case, my hats off to you, sir.)

Otherwise, your anecdote fails.

You beat me to it!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Common Sense isn't common any more...
    Neither is the younger generations work ethic...

I work fulltime, go to university passtime.
    As for my spare time, I volunteer in Barnardos and am also a part time carer for my ex's grandma.

These comments and posts are ill-informed and rude at best, Where I volunteer there's 7 of us, 3 of that 7 are younger than I am and I am only 20. The rest are well in their 70's. Should I now go about labeling everyone from 21 to 69 lazy and selfish?
    Ur doing a great job.....but for most of society and the younger generation, common sense, common courtesy, manners and other morals are lacking. And yes it's my generation which caused this by allowing the government to dictate how I raise my kids.

Dude, I'm a year younger than you and my kids are 5 and 3. I agree, they have zero common sense but still have more than this post.
  • BIG_Lew
    Options
    Have you talked to enough people to come to that consensus?
    I've been volunteering there for nigh on a year now, I have yet to see many middle-aged people volunteer.
    Plenty of younger people though.

Edit: I'm not trying to be rude here, I just think it's an unfair label

Ur really the exception...... Most youth have their hands out and want things given. They have no desire to work hard.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I've been volunteering there for nigh on a year now, I have yet to see many middle-aged people volunteer.

Ur really the exception...... Most youth have their hands out and want things given. They have no desire to work hard.

-waits for statistics-
  • TheRealPDouble
    Options
    wait, didn't he die like a few years ago...?
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • hww1
    hww1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    BTW: The woman burned by the McDonald's coffee suffered 3rd degree burns. Common sense would indicate that coffee that hot should not be in paper cups, I would say. A jury agreed.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    good grief
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options

As for my spare time, I volunteer in Barnardos and am also a part time carer for my ex's grandma.

These comments and posts are ill-informed and rude at best, Where I volunteer there's 7 of us, 3 of that 7 are younger than I am and I am only 20. The rest are well in their 70's. Should I now go about labeling everyone from 21 to 69 lazy and selfish?
    Ur doing a great job.....but for most of society and the younger generation, common sense, common courtesy, manners and other morals are lacking. And yes it's my generation which caused this by allowing the government to dictate how I raise my kids.

Really and how would you know. Have you been everywhere in the world? Met every person? This not true of me, any of my many friends for that matter.
  • clemsonsaint
    Options
    Amen
  • BIG_Lew
    Options

Dude, I'm a year younger than you and my kids are 5 and 3. I agree, they have zero common sense but still have more than this post.

Sum do, most don't. Ur my age, so u tell me when u were young how many school shootings did u hear about? How many movie theaters shot up? How many juveniles were incarcerated as apposed to now? And now every time some does sumthn crazy, their labeled with sum kinda bipolar, multiple personality, crazy disorder. Wht happened to labeling them for wht they are, bad!!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options

You can't really say "most"... maybe "many", but "most" is pushing it.

Some of us are working, volunteering with multiple non-profits, giving back to our parents, friends and family members, WHILE working full-time positions and pursuing higher degrees in school, I will agree that there are the "many" that are doing nothing.

Please don't lump us all into the lazy and ungrateful category and we won't do the same with your generation.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Some of us are working, volunteering with multiple non-profits, giving back to our parents, friends and family members, WHILE working full-time positions and pursuing higher degrees in school, I will agree that there are the "many" that are doing nothing.

Please don't lump us all into the lazy and ungrateful category and we won't do the same with your generation.

Surely this is dependant of where you are in the world? your situation, your society and options. You can't just blame it on age. How about looking at the state of the world/your society/your actual attitude. This post sucks and is backed by no facts or examples.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Oh good lord. I've seen this and several things like it. All things tends towards entropy. Every previous generation rails that the current one is destroying common sense and reliability. It is the nature of human beings to claim that it was "better back then."

Sunrise, sunset.

right, because for example, we know everything was AWESOME in the 1950s. many people didn't have rights, women were permitted to be abused by their partners in some states due to lack of domestic violence laws, etc, etc... yeah, what a great time
    and everyone was terrified of communism too.
  • Sla6adm
    Sla6adm Posts: 31
    Options

I'm 25 with a mortgage, and worked full time whilst doing my university courses. I hate it when people are tarred with the same brush. There are plenty older people without common sense too - who do you think raised us?

Also, whilst I do definitely agree with most of the original post at the start of this thread, I disagree with the abortion bit. I went to a military school and boarded there. If I had got into that situation, I would have been too scared to confront my parents. I would have just ignored the problem until I had a baby. At least being able to speak to teachers and school nurses prevents unwanted babies being born by people too young to cope.

Alexe x
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Sum do, most don't. Ur my age, so u tell me when u were young how many school shootings did u hear about? How many movie theaters shot up? How many juveniles were incarcerated as apposed to now? And now every time some does sumthn crazy, their labeled with sum kinda bipolar, multiple personality, crazy disorder. Wht happened to labeling them for wht they are, bad!!

Most of the stuff at school were stabbings. The shootings were happening in the streets and on the beltway. More young people are in school because of stricter drug laws and punishments.

I agree that ADD and the like is most likely over diagnosed but you will get that when pharmacology became a business rather than a quest.

Bottom line, your "kids today" rant (which is what this really is) is pretty much stereotypical and wrong.
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    "sound and prudent judgment based on a SIMPLE PERCEPTION of the situation or facts."[1] Thus, "common sense" (in this view) equates to the knowledge and experience which most people already have, or which the person using the term BELIEVES that they do or should have."

See also Conventional Wisdom.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I can see everyone's point, and have seen great, and crappy people, of all ages (yes, up to in their 90s, but can't swear I knew people older than that), and I think a ton of 'older' people (meaning like 40+) now take care of elderly parents at home, plus work, plus raise kids, plus may have health concerns, so that is why many I know personally do not volunteer additionally: I know tons of people about 40-65 who work in human services/animal services agencies, and very few younger people, but many things can contribute: are the jobs already taken? Is there transportation? Do the people give a crap about anyone? Are they always hung over or ill or worn out from work or glued to the sofa? There are tons of reasons, good and bad, for everything, so I can't say one group is good or bad. I do agree that there ain't that much common sense around, though, or courtesy, and I tend to blame a lot of it on the sheer numbers of people alive now (and stress, crowding, pollution, noise, etc. resulting), and the giant amounts of electronics and cellphones and other stuff in the air waves: technology and pollution can mess with a lot of health and mental health circumstances--and yup, there are statistics to back that up. I think it's too bad for everyone, because obviously everyone wants to be happy and to do well, and sometimes they just don't know how.
  • MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options

I work full-time, go to university part-time.

Easy Tiger.. I didnt say they were lazy or selfish. However, my point is that ALOT, not all, younger people, expect some sort of handout, and never really know what it is like to work for what they got.

Just an fyi - When I was your age, actually younger, I owned my business, was going through chemo and going to school.
    As for volunteering, I did volunteer as well, I talked to families who kids were first diagnosed with cancer. This was when I was all before I was 18 years old.