Best time to eat?

Options
MizTerry
MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
I like working out at lunchtime on days that I have gym work. When is it best to eat, before or after the workout?

Replies

• lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is of no importance. It all depends on how you feel. Some people preform better fasted, depending on the type of workout, some people preform better if they have had time to eat. If I eat before a training session, I have to wait about an hour before I workout, simply because I am too full.

So, eat before or eat after. Its all personal preference.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is of no importance. It all depends on how you feel. Some people preform better fasted, depending on the type of workout, some people preform better if they have had time to eat. If I eat before a training session, I have to wait about an hour before I workout, simply because I am too full.

So, eat before or eat after. Its all personal preference.

this
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    When you're hungry!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When do you feel better eating?
  • Roxieluv
    Options
    For me personally I prefer to eat afterwards, simply because i make better choices in what i choose to eat. Something about doing all that hard work that makes it impossible to eat horrible and take steps back afterward...lol..But I don't think there's a right or wrong answer just what ever keeps you focused on your goal. Good luck :0)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'd eat after only because food in my stomach makes me feel sick when I work out, but it's totally a personal choice.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I would say the post workout window is far more important. Personally, I get nauseous with pre-workout meals. Even if it's 100 calories and 2 hours before my workout.
  • rungrainnerun
    rungrainnerun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat as soon as I can after working out.. apparently you burn off the calories faster when your heart rate is up. It's easier to burn them while eating than trying to burn them off after you've eaten them. Obviously if you're starving you wont get the most out of your workout.. Early morning runs on empty are my favourite.. I feel way lighter than I do mid-day after food, and personally I never feel hungry just after I wake up!

But , everyone is different :)
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think everyone will have a slightly different answer. For me.. I have to eat something before I workout but if I eat to much, I feel sluggish. Most people can't eat right before they work out so you may want to eat lunch after your workout but make sure you get breakfast or a small snack an hour or so before so you have energy to workout.
  • mjsumrall
    Options
    I had a personal trainer, a nutritionist, and a doctor tell me that it's better to eat after you workout. One, it can make you sick to workout after eating. Two, if you can workout first, you can have your body already in the mode of burning sugars and will process what you eat faster, using more of what you eat, leaving less to be waste that just builds up as fat..
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all, this helped a lot. :bigsmile: