Fitbit Zip?

Options
I'm thinking about getting a HRM as a broke college student, and, out of the ones that MFP suggested, the Fitbit Zip is the cheapest and it does what I would want it to do. Does anyone here have any good reasons why I should or should not get this specific one? I also looked on Amazon and found some really cheap ones, but with no reviews or ones that say "you get what you pay for". Anyway, thanks in advance for the help :)

Replies

• jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    The Zip is not a HRM, it's a pedometer.

I have the Zip and I love it, but if you want an HRM, then you need to look at something else, I'm afraid.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, how did I miss that? Haha okay thank you. Does it still give a fairly accurate calorie count, though?

ETA: Also, what would a good, budget-safe HRM choice be?
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, how did I miss that? Haha okay thank you. Does it still give a fairly accurate calorie count, though?
    I have the zip & I think it's very accurate!! You can enter your stride length too which makes it more accurate but I've found when you input your height it sets you stride length for an average person of that height & I've never had to adjust it.. On the downside, my zip silicone case has ripped only 2 months after buying!! Fb meant to be sending me another but still waiting!!! However I've just ordered the one instead as it tracks stairs/hills & obviously you get more calories for them but the zip can't track those 2 things ... Still a good device though
  • tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 HRM watch and I love it. I think it is about $70 or something like that. It is just a basic HRM that tells you when you are in fat burning or fitness zones and you can also purchase a docking type station so you can download your workouts to your computer. It does come with a chest strap as well. If you are a runner and need something with a GPS system, then you would be better off with an upgraded version of the Polar or a Garmin maybe. I wear mine at the gym and it syncs wirelessly with the machines so I can see what my heart rate is without looking at my watch. I think it is more accurate than the machines but they are pretty close. Good luck.
  • kjbutcher
    Options
    if you go to best buy you may still be able to get the fitbit ultra for $79. it has all of the features of the fitbit one that is $99, but I think it might be last years model. I got the blue and black ultra and my friend got the ONE and we cant find the difference. I cant find any ultras online anymore though. I just got mine over the weekend so you should still be able to find it. btw, i LOVE it! definately keeps you moving especially if you do lots of exercise on teh first day. you realize how low the numbers are the next day and you want to get moving and get the numbers up. if you can only afford the zip, i say go for it! most of the people who didnt like it previously owned the ultra, so you really cant downgrade and expect the same as what you had.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for all of the help, everyone!