Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
Are these are a good choice or no?

Replies

• Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that these would be good on a regular basis. I do have Atkins shakes maybe once per week while on the go. They fill you up but it does not last and leaves you hungry even with additional snacks in the afternoon and tons of water. So that might leave you open to eating other stuff too!
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    I think its down to personal choice and what works for you. It also depends wildly on the meal replacement shake you go for. I will have a protein shake when I work out but I dont have it as meal replacement as such, just as a snack.
  • StephanieCanene
    Options
    I keep Slim Fast Chocolate Shakes in my fridge or other brands of the sort. I wake up early at 5 AM for work. I'm a Nurse and am on my feet all day so couldn't possibly not eat. But I just can't possibly eat that early because for some reason my stomach feels queasy, so I drink a shake in the morning to help me start my day by fueling my body with some minerals and vitamins and so I'm not starving through out the day. I don't think it's a bad choice every once in awhile, but I'd never use it for more than one meal a day. It's not much different than a protein shake.
  • Dopechick
    Dopechick Posts: 16
    Options
    Protein shakes are a good idea, I have one every morning with a small breakfast before I workout (per my personal trainer's advice). Meal replacement shakes though, in my experience, would just leave me hungry and I would end up binge eating.
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    Ive tried these. I don't think they work. They never keep me full & I feel like I'm starving. In a pinch when I'm running late & need something for breakfast I would grab one.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not a bad choice if you are seriously on the run and don't have time for a bowl of cereal or something. Something is better than nothing. They don't teach you proper portion size or how to make more appropriate food choices. Personally they leave me STARVING after about 2 hours....and when I'm starving with nothing healthy on hand and in the car passing 150 fast food restaurants, well...you get the idea.

Approach with caution.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I use them - I don't always get all my calories, potassium or protein in my day so I boost it with a protein shake (low carb type) to assist me in my nutrition balance. :flowerforyou:
  • haleysman
    haleysman Posts: 48
    Options
    i like to go for a carnation instant breakfast shake mixed in with my morning coffee as a substitute for creamer, i never was a big breakfast eater, as it always made me feel queasy, so this way i get the good stuff from the mix packet and coffee helps me start my day
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I do the slim fast also when I am not in the mood for eating or at lunch when I am in a hurry. I like the way they taste.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    As a pre or post workout supplement, yeah they're great....I've even used one to bridge the gap after working out if I knew dinner wouldn't be for a few hours, but it definitely doesn't replace a meal.....not to me anyways lol
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I use them - I don't always get all my calories, potassium or protein in my day so I boost it with a protein shake (low carb type) to assist me in my nutrition balance. :flowerforyou:

Look at you Drvvork - with a big fat 0 lbs to go for a whole week now! Way to go!!

As for the meal replacement shakes, I had about the same success as everyone else. Adding it in as a way to meet your calories and boost your nutrients is probably great - but as a meal replacement didn't work for me. I ended out binging bad - I like food too much. I'm a texture person - and I get the impression Oompa that you are too. No satisfaction in drinking that little shake for me.
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bit of a loaded question. I think there are SOME meal replacement shakes out there that are quality and provide ample nutrients to help recover from a workout, offer substance before a workout or even cover as a true meal or snack, without leaving you starving 10 mins later. My personal favorite is Shakeology. If you'd like to hear more about it, or see what the hype is about, feel free to message me. Happy to share my experience with weight loss, time management and restored energy, from having one Shakeology a day.

As for the other ones on the market, I would just be mindful of what they are intended for. Most are loaded with fillers, sugars and hidden ingredients to think you are getting a quality meal replacement shake, when in fact it's leaving you starved for me, thus combating your overall goal of weight loss of maintenance.

Be sure to do your research and know the product you are ingesting...you'll be surprised at how poor the ingredients are of the ones you can quickly grab at Target, Wal-Mar or any shopping store.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I agree with choose2befit. REALLY research it first... and I would try not to make a habit out of actually replacing a meal with a shake very often. You still need other nutrients whole grains, veggies & fruits, protein, etc. can give you.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have an Ensure when I'm not feeling well & don't want food, or if nothing sounds good. They're good to help get nutrients in & stuff, but probably not an every day thing.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: The only ones that I found that were nutritious and satisfying are the shakes from the Isagenix Cleansing and Fat Burning system. :bigsmile:
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    I have been using Slimfast shakes for lunch for the past week to kick start my weight loss as I was feeling very down about myself. They've been fantastic for me, using them in hand with MFP I am able to see what I need to have and what I've had enough of already.
    They do keep me full enough, but maybe that's because I eat fruit (apple or banana) as my snack in between breakfast and lunch and again between lunch and dinner so that I keep my head out of the fridge! I have enjoyed the taste (was pleasantly surprised) of the shakes, and having them for lunch when you work in an office funny hours around school with no lunch break it suits me - but they're not the way I want to maintain my diet for the future, just until it suits me.
    I had warnings from people when I joined last week about the shakes, but I think you need to look at what works for you and as long as you're sensible and aware as this site helps you to be, I think if it kick starts you then it can't be a bad thing!
    Good luck :smile:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I think real food is more satisfying but in a pinch once in a while I suppose they're ok.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Make sure the sugar is low and remember a meal is about 300-400 calories. I drink a protein shake every morning first thing when I wake up. The one I drink (muscle milk) is 130 calories per scoop, 2 g of sugar and 26 g of protein. I mix it with 4 ounces of water and 4 ounces of non fat milk. The cheaper store brands are full of sugars and fillers like choose2befit mentioned.

I also will drink a shake after a workout. But I still eat meals. Make sure to read the ingredients.
  • jon_butcher
    Options
    The last thing you want to do when trying to lose weight is to not eat.. Your body needs fuel to burn fat, not eating will slow your metabolism and prevent you from burning fat.

Personally, I would go for a protein shake over a 'meal replacement' shake and eat good quality, low fat food.

Don't buy the crap you find in the supermarket or local pharmacy, you need to go to a specilaist store and buy Whey Protein Isolate (WPI), not Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC)..

One of the best WPI's is ISO 100 by Dymatize.. It has all the fat, sugar and carbs stripped out.