The Death Of Common Sense

Options

Replies

• BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to enough people to come to that consensus?
    I've been volunteering there for nigh on a year now, I have yet to see many middle-aged people volunteer.
    Plenty of younger people though.

Edit: I'm not trying to be rude here, I just think it's an unfair label

Ur really the exception...... Most youth have their hands out and want things given. They have no desire to work hard.

I think this is a fair point to make.
    BUT
    It would be a fair point to make about ANY younger generation. Who, in their youth, genuinely wants to work hard, give back to society and earn everything for themselves?
    If the answer is you, then congratulations, but I'd suggest that you WOULD be the exception. You'd have been the exception 10, 20, 30 and 40 years ago as well.
    Schools need permission to give children and aspirin or sun cream, because, ya know, some people are allergic.
    Schools can't tell a students parent sif she is pregnant and wants an abortion because, ya know, some school students are old enough to be covered by confidentiality laws. ( You're not talking about 14 year olds here )
    School shootings? hERE's a few dating back a few years.

http://news.msn.com/us/timeline-deadliest-attacks-at-us-schools-and-colleges

Juvenile detention rates - haven't really changed % wise.

Manners? Well, let's be honest, when you're young you're a tool ( usually ) then you grow up and get over it.
    Kids now are no worse than they've ever been.
    Most of us are just old enough to resent them for it these days.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Absolutely true! And after reading the posts from other people it just proves the point that common sense and the ability to reason is out the window.

This post is talking about a good portion of society....not all. Not all young people are rude, and entitled but it's trending that way. If you had common sense and the ability to reason you would get that point that this post isn't stating everyone, everywhere. There are always exceptions to the rules and trends.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    BTW: The woman burned by the McDonald's coffee suffered 3rd degree burns. Common sense would indicate that coffee that hot should not be in paper cups, I would say. A jury agreed.

The jury found (The Woman burned) Mrs. Liebeck to be partially at fault for her injuries, reducing the compensation for her injuries accordingly.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH92w9vU25Ma_1EHXmREW50SECOQ21C15DZdA-qN9-M2pkONQec7-7qj7p
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It does seem like we're more culturally sissified than previous generations.
    One fact remains: we sure are FATTER!
    :noway:
  • Aspiring_Inferno
    Options
    holy opinionated whiners
  • Sla6adm
    Sla6adm Posts: 31
    Options
    Following my earlier post, I really, really, really hate it when people stereotype. If you wanted to antagonize a lot of people, well done, you did it.

Oh, and the reason you are now more aware of shootings etc is because the internet is a lot more widely used than it was even a generation ago.

Gosh, I am jolly cross. GRRRRRR.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Sum do, most don't. Ur my age, so u tell me when u were young how many school shootings did u hear about? How many movie theaters shot up? How many juveniles were incarcerated as apposed to now? And now every time some does sumthn crazy, their labeled with sum kinda bipolar, multiple personality, crazy disorder. Wht happened to labeling them for wht they are, bad!!

Whoa! Someone needs to go back to school.

Even ignoring the internet shorthand.....sum? apposed? Their?

The reason we hear about stuff like this happening more often is 1) news is more global vs local.

Want to get the crazies away from guns? 1) Better health care/screening (maybe we need to strip them of their rights and force medicate/institutionalize them?) 2) Do we do a national registry of the mentally unstable for background checks? What about others that shouldn't have access to guns? Why just take away the rights of the crazies......what about the violent....what about vets with PTSD.....what about NFL players with brain trauma?

Yeah, not going to pass constitutional muster.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Also, the McDonald's woman suffered third-degree burns over six percent of her body and lesser burns over 16%. Of her ENTIRE body. They had the coffee set much, much hotter than they should have.

For good, third-degree-causing, skin-grafting reasons. (Unless you're cool with third degree burns and skin grafting from your morning cup 'o joe. In that case, my hats off to you, sir.)

Otherwise, your anecdote fails.

Thank you for this entry!

McDonalds had purposely set the temperature too hot, so they could make minimum delivery on a promise to seniors of free coffee. They wanted to seem like good community members, but thought what a great way not to deliver. They set the coffee too hot for the cup. Seemingly nonsense lawsuits are usually nonsense, because the majority of facts are purposely omitted. Large verdicts are one of the few ways that consumers are protected from corporate neglect.

I'm not anti-corporation, they supply products and jobs, but without a counter-balance that involves lawsuits (many that seem silly without knowing all the facts) they are geared too far to profit without regard to public safety.
  • doorki
    Options
    holy opinionated whiners

How is disagreeing whining?
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I use to go outside and play till the TV warmed up lol
  • TheLittleLebowski
    Options
    Common Sense isn't common any more...
    Neither is the younger generations work ethic...

I work full-time, go to university part-time.
    As for my spare time, I volunteer in Barnardos and am also a part time carer for my ex's grandma.

These comments and posts are ill-informed and rude at best, Where I volunteer there's 7 of us, 3 of that 7 are younger than I am and I am only 20. The rest are well in their 70's. Should I now go about labeling everyone from 21 to 69 lazy and selfish?

Easy Tiger.. I didnt say they were lazy or selfish. However, my point is that ALOT, not all, younger people, expect some sort of handout, and never really know what it is like to work for what they got.

Just an fyi - When I was your age, actually younger, I owned my business, was going through chemo and going to school.
    As for volunteering, I did volunteer as well, I talked to families who kids were first diagnosed with cancer. This was when I was all before I was 18 years old.

That's wonderful, you must have been very busy, it's great that you did all that. I still disagree with you, but I can see I'm not going to change your mind so we'll agree to disagree.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Aristotle complained of the youth of today, so I guess we've been going downhill for about 2400 years.

I've been teaching middle school for 20 years now. I have to tell you, there are some lazy *kitten* kids out there. Weirdly enough, they are the minority. Most have somewhere between what I would judge as a decent to an extraordinary work ethic. I keep contact with a large number who worked their way though college at least as hard as I did, if not more so.
  • rikkeeroos
    Options
    Also, the McDonald's woman suffered third-degree burns over six percent of her body and lesser burns over 16%. Of her ENTIRE body. They had the coffee set much, much hotter than they should have.

For good, third-degree-causing, skin-grafting reasons. (Unless you're cool with third degree burns and skin grafting from your morning cup 'o joe. In that case, my hats off to you, sir.)

Otherwise, your anecdote fails.
    Yes, people love to make fun of the McDonald's woman. They never mention the part that you have stated. They also never talk about the fact that before this incident McDonalds had had over 800 complaints on file about the temperature of their coffee (180-190F), and nothing was done to correct the problem. The doctors thought that the woman was going to die from her burns. I guess it is much simpler to say that she didn't have any common sense.
  • TheLittleLebowski
    Options
    holy opinionated whiners

There's nothing wrong with a little debate :)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options

I use to go outside and play till the TV warmed up lol
    And now we have video games, x-boxes....whatever...
    Much of the debate is nebulous, but again, fat is a variable we can measure.
    People are fatter now, so that's not just a generational slur.
    That's reality.
    Something is going on.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Amen to that. Add to that kindness and empathy.
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    Aristotle complained of the youth of today, so I guess we've been going downhill for about 2400 years.

Two things that I've noticed that seem to happen in every generation: What you just mentioned above & people predicting the end of the world during their own generation.

And it seems the people who harp on in favor of conventional wisdom and status quo are the ones making the blanket generalizations.

Although I will admit to making fun of popular music today. And I do cringe when I hear myself talking like my mother did sometimes... other times I just laugh about it.
  • doorki
    Options
    Amen to that. Add to that kindness and empathy.

I would argue that the younger generation is much more empathetic and kind than previous generations.