Easy ways to get more protein--on a busy schedule?

Options
I have 2 children, both school ages. I also work a full time job. What are some easy ways to get more protein in my diet? I need stuff that is quick (and cheap) as we are on a budget! Thanks!!

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna, spiced up to taste?

Add it to some beans and it's good hot or cold.

Well, is for me anyway.

But I'm easily pleased.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm not nearly as busy as you (just lazy), but I taken to throwing a couple of pounds of chicken breasts in the crock pot with some water and spices (I tend to like Mexican food, so a lot of cumin, chili powder, chipotle, etc.) and leave it overnight. Then the next day I shred (it's basically falling apart anyways), then freeze in 4oz portions. Great on top of a salad or even just as a snack.
  • laughinggypsy
    laughinggypsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    cook up a bunch of lentils to keep in fridge-add to just about anything

greek yogurt

ch-ch-ch-chia seed!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Cheese strings
    Greek Yogurt cups
    Peanut Butter/Almond Butter
    Canned Tuna
    Cottage Cheese
    Glass of milk

All of these are a great way to add more protein in to a snack/meal.

There are also a lot of pre-cooked products in the deli/meat section that can easily be thrown on top of salads, in sandwiches etc. just watch for the sodium, some of it is crazy high and for me at least, that can make me really hold on to my water.
  • mbow1977
    mbow1977 Posts: 213
    Options
    a bag of almonds as a snack, high in protein but also quite high in cals so depends if you can afford the cals
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are cheap and easy. I often eat two for lunch when I don't have hot food as an option.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My protein is usually turkey meat, chicken breast, tilapia, and sometimes dry cottage cheese. Cheese is awesome as well, but can be very high in salt, and yogurts are good too except they usually have alot of sugar. Depends on where you are in your journey and what you are being careful for. I buy up chicken breast. I cube it up. Grill it and freeze it. So when I want it I defrost 1 cup and add it to my veggies, salad, ect. Great protein and easy too! Or I buy full turkey or chickens, roast them. Then after cut them up and freeeze them. Easy peasey!! Also EGGS!! Those are great protein source!! Good luck on your journey! Almonds and peanuts are good fat sources and arent really used as protein. And beans and such are a good carb source but not so much a protein source!
  • gracemrl
    Options
    TUNA!!!
  • jpainter1984
    jpainter1984 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna, spiced up to taste?

Add it to some beans and it's good hot or cold.

Well, is for me anyway.

But I'm easily pleased.

Thanks all! It looks like Tuna is the best so far. I didn't even think of that! Great, thanks so much :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also EGGS!! Those are great protein source!!

How the hell did I miss eggs? Cheap, and I hard boil a lot so that I can have a snack on the go or at work. I usually eat around 3 eggs a day.
  • monileen
    monileen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Chobani greek yogurt has a ton of protein
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Nuts
    Tuna
    Protein bars
    Protein powder in shakes
    Special k protein water
    Precook lunches for work and cook something with eggs, chicken etc in it
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Make a quick protein shake for a snack. Some proteins are really expensive, but the one I get is Optimum Nutrition, Whey protein (vanilla icecream flavored, yum!) and its only $25 for a big container that has lasted me about a month now (not gone yet - eating about 1 shake a day, 3 or 4 times a week). SO when you think about it, not expensive at all at a little over $1 per day. I mix my vanilla protein (110 cals) with 5 or 6 oz of Silk vanilla almond milk (76 cals) and have a protein packed snack that gives you tons of energy!! Believe me, it is better than coffee!! (I am addicted to that too, lol) If you don't like vanilla they have tons of other flavors, their chocolate one is the most popular I think. Good luck!
  • deber093
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt mixed into a breakfast smoothie is a help.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Tuna is great. Add a little salsa to it and it makes a great snack or lunch. Also Greek Yogurt is a great way to add protien. It has more grams of protien than regular yogurt. My personal favorite is Okios.
  • randilious
    Options
    whey protein shakes!!!
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just had a"snack" of Nestle Nesquik 100 calorie low fat chocolate milk. 8g protein and 30% of calcium requirements for the day.
    It was very yummy and took away my mid morning hunger pang.
  • jpainter1984
    Options
    Also EGGS!! Those are great protein source!!

How the hell did I miss eggs? Cheap, and I hard boil a lot so that I can have a snack on the go or at work. I usually eat around 3 eggs a day.

I was planning on bringing boiled eggs but the smell is offensive to some people. I suppose if you peel them at home first, it tones it down, right??? I work in an office suite so there's other people and there's not much fresh air! XD
  • jpainter1984
    Options
    Tuna is great. Add a little salsa to it and it makes a great snack or lunch. Also Greek Yogurt is a great way to add protien. It has more grams of protien than regular yogurt. My personal favorite is Okios.

I have yet to try Greek Yogurt of any kind. I will picking that up on my next grocery shopping trip! THANKS!
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I have 2 children, both school ages. I also work a full time job. What are some easy ways to get more protein in my diet? I need stuff that is quick (and cheap) as we are on a budget! Thanks!!

Get some whey protein. If you order it online, it is much cheaper. I get mine from nutrabio . com. Good stuff.