I'm Pregnant But I Want to Eat Healthy!

Options
I used to use this site all the time to try to lose weight, and I loved it! Now, I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm trying to grow a healthy bouncing baby! :) But I also want to be at least so-so in shape when I have the baby. I'm 12 weeks along as of yesterday. I know I can't set up a "weight loss" goal. However, what should I put as my daily goals for calories, fat, protein, fiber, sugar, or whatever is actually important to track?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor to find out how much you should be eating during pregnancy. /End Thread
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Set yourself up for maintanence and then add 300 cal to that. That should give you a healthy pregnancy weight gain and make it easier to take it off after babe shows up. If you have any special dietary needs make sure to consult with your doc/midwife. They might refer you out to someone with more knowlege then they have.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor to find out how much you should be eating during pregnancy. /End Thread

Yes, this ^^ You need personalized advice.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm 34 weeks myself. Welcome!

Feel free to add me.

Also, there is a great group just for women like you and me here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1920-fit-fabulous-pregnant-

You will get a lot better answers there than in the general forums.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't focus on calories unless you speak to your dr or a dietician about what your TDEE etc is and then add whatever number of extra calories you need for pregnancy.
    Focus on eating whole foods-basically if your great grandma wouldn't recognize it, don't eat it. Take a daily prenatal vitamin, talk to your Dr about exercize that is right for you as well. If you did it before you were pregnant, then that is fine unless you are having/have had complications getting pregnant or have had bleeding, etc. If you want to start something new, consult with them first.
  • carriebostic
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Right! You're OB/Gyn will be able to tell you exactly what you need to eat. Eating healthy and pregnancy are not mutually exclusive!! Of course you should eat healthy. What you should not do during pregnancy is eat at a calorie deficit. Your doc will let you know what your calorie goals should be.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    For most people, of normal weight and up, with a single pregnancy, maintenance is good for first trimester and by second trimester should be up 300-500 calories depending on starting weight.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. Talk to your doctor. On a personal note. I swam laps through my entire pregnancy. With the approval of my doctor of course.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Alyssa09 had a very similar post earlier. That one has a lot of good advice in it. As someone who was heavy before and didn't gain hardly at all while pregnant (and weighed a lot less after my healthy baby was born), I would say not to reduce calories, only to add in the nutrients you need to get. Make as many of your meals as close to nature as possible. I don't want to get preachy about clean eating, but you gain so much, including valuable macronutrients you may not get otherwise. I have lost weight during both pregnancies by adding in good stuff, to the point where I didn't have room for the bad stuff. Also, keep in mind that you'll need lots of water, and part of this is because your blood supply doubles. As long as you don't strain yourself, and watch your heart rate, maybe try to get in plenty of walking and lift some weights as well (DO talk to your doctor before you do this!) Ideally, you can take advantage of that copious blood supply and fuel your muscles, which exponentially increase your weight loss and help you get back at it after recovering from birth. I know people hate on these posts, but I believe in most cases, it is assumed that the poster wants to provide the healthiest start for their baby and to bounce back as quick as possible. Don't worry if you gain up to 35 lbs. You have a baby in there and it will come off if you did the right things while pregnant. As for myself, I exercise 6 days a week, lift, and eat loads of healthy food. Healthy pregnancy, even though I weigh 211.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten great advice so I just wanted to say Congrats and enjoy!
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree with talking to your doctor. But I just wanted to add that my sister lost 7 lbs during her pregnancy just by switching to healthier foods for the baby. She still ate what she wanted, it was usually just healtheir. So by doing this I'm sure it would help not the pack on the pounds.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Right! You're OB/Gyn will be able to tell you exactly what you need to eat. Eating healthy and pregnancy are not mutually exclusive!! Of course you should eat healthy. What you should not do during pregnancy is eat at a calorie deficit. Your doc will let you know what your calorie goals should be.

That's kind of funny. This is my third pregnancy and not one doctor has told my what my calorie goals should be. I asked during my first and they said gain this much weight.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Agree with this 110% BUT confirm with your doctor.

Also, perhaps instead of counting every little calorie, you shift focus to counting portions of food groups - milk/veg/fruit etc. Talk it all over iwth your doctor BUT DO NOT listen to people who say "this is not a time to count calories" OH MY GOODNESS - YES IT IS!!! Do not get through your pregnancy with too many pounds to lose!! Plus, I have 4 kids, and I overate through all pregnancies and breastfeeding, and I had rolly polly, chunky little ones - EXCEPT for my last baby - I finally started eating right after I gave birth (she was 10 pounds, 1 oz) and she is my first "average" sized baby - at first I worried my milk was suffering because she wasn't getting fat like the others, but then my sister pointed out that maybe for the first time my milk was perfect without all the extra fat, sugar and salt in my diet. Because although she's not chubby, she's a perfect size for her age, and is still bright happy and growing... something to think about!

PLUS - exercise as much as you can - if you were doing things before, keep it up - if you weren't exercising, then start walking all over the place!! (anything more strenuous would have to get the go ahead from doctor, but walking is never a problem!!) Stay in good shape to have a healthy, COMFORTABLE pregnancy and a drug free, natural birth!!