Raw fruits and vegetables make me feel horrible

Options
Every time I eat raw fruit and raw veggies, I feel HORRIBLE. I get extremely gassy and bloated. Any thoughts as to why this happens?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Because you don't eat raw fruits and vegetables.
  • lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    All the extra fiber, I've heard.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Some people are more sensitive take something like beano or pro-biotics and drink more water.
  • beaglelover12
    Options

Yeah, because that makes sense....
  • Vamtn
    Vamtn Posts: 2
    Options
    go to your store....Walmart, CVS..etc..and they will tell you medicine that will stop raw fruits and vegetable....and will make you feel better....
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Excess fiber does this and also certain fruits and vegetables are naturally gassy (broccoli for instance, super gassy).
  • beaglelover12
    Options
    Excess fiber does this and also certain fruits and vegetables are naturally gassy (broccoli for instance, super gassy).

Any fruits/veggies I should stick to/avoid to prevent this feeling? I'm unfortunately allergic to bananas and all melons.
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Any fruits/veggies I should stick to/avoid to prevent this feeling? I'm unfortunately allergic to bananas and all melons.

Beets, carrots, spinach, kale, various berries (probably the best types of fruit). I would also suggest eating various nuts as well for your healthy fats and the protein.

Some more fruits: apples (there are sooooooooooo many kinds), cherries, kiwi's and if you have an exotic market nearby, try some passion fruit and starfruits.

There are so many! :P
  • beaglelover12
    Options
    THANK YOU jdooks =)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Actually it does. It's probably the fiber that your body just isn't used to. You'll get used to it if you value your health.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Then why not cook them?
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options

Actually it does. It's probably the fiber that your body just isn't used to. You'll get used to it if you value your health.

Seconded
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options

this ^
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    it is because you aren't used to eating them. Once you adjust it won't do that to you anymore. When my husband and I first went vegan we got really gassy as well, but it subsided after a few weeks
  • beaglelover12
    Options
    Then why not cook them?

I almost always do, but it'd be nice not to have to do that every time.
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you recently started to incorporate more in to your diet it might take a little getting used to. As you eat more fruit and vegetable more frequently it most likely go away....
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

That actually does make sense. Any dietary change freaks your body out. Fruits and vegetables have a lot of natural sugars and fiber in them. Since you aren't use to eating them, your body will initially produce an excess of gas and make life REALLY uncomfortable for a few days. As someone else suggested, take beano or some other form of gas relief to help ease the discomfort early on. Your body will get use to it and you will ultimately feel better.
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options
    def sounds like you are not getting the fiber you need.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Either stay the course and give your body time to adjust, or eliminate fruits and veggies;
    stick to only processed foods....:noway:
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

cauliflower is the worst for me but i love it! you should not eat them by themselves if you can help it. have them with other food and they likely wont bother you as much.