Any form of compensating the next day an unhealthy dinner?

Options
Yep, I know. It´s a bad hangover the next day when you go out of your nutrition program. It´s going back to square 1, or at least it seems that way. But is there any way you can make it up the next day? Exercise, calorie restriction?

Replies

• squishy2981
    Options
    I always vote for additional exercise if you feel bad about what you consumed the day before. If you calorie deficit too much the next day, you might feel lethargic, sick to your stomach, have a headache, or any other number of not so healthy feeling physiological responses. Just realize that you cannot ruin a diet with one day of crappy eating. Only if you managed to consume 3500 extra calories will you even reflect a weight gain of 1 pound. So, get in some extra exercise if you have the time or the want, and don't sweat it too much!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Just move on. Seriously. Maybe drink a bit more water if it was due to a high salt content meal, but other than that, just say it was yummy(or make note that it made you feel like crap so you remember not to do it again) and have a great day today;-)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You can have a non-linear caloric intake if you'd like.

What exactly do you mean by "unhealthy?"
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It may feel like you've totally ruined it all and guilt is pretty rubbish too, but it's all a out moderation. If its one day out of 50 for example then the other 49 days will count for much more than that 1 day of going over.
    I'd go along with the exercise and try and bring back some of those calories. Not eating or eating 500 calories will do more harm - you'll be more likely to do it again if you're too restrictive.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Up your water intake. Move on with life.
  • Ailorn
    Ailorn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I caved at the end of the day yesterday too. It'll be ok. Just keep trying today and maybe spread out your calories more. Exercise too helps :)
  • npalacios78
    Options
    Thanks guys. A bit more exercise today, more water..................and moving on!
  • npalacios78
    Options

Red Wine, white bread, FRIED fish and a ton of avocado........and some chips......it was eaten right before going to sleep.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water over the next few days to flush the sodium. Perhaps eat a little under your goal today and get some extra exercise.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I don't sweat it. I prefer to look at things weekly anyway rather than daily. So, if I go over by say 500 calories one day, I'll try to stay under by 100 calories for 5 days of the week. You can also add a bit more exercise in during the week to cover it if you'd rather do it that way. Seriously though, we're all going to have days we go over and days we go under, they generally tend to even out.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Red Wine, white bread, FRIED fish and a ton of avocado........and some chips......it was eaten right before going to sleep.

There's nothing inherently unhealthy about any of those foods, and there's nothing wrong with eating before going to sleep.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my birthday, so I totally oinked out at my favorite Turkish restaurant. I'm up 1.5 pounds today, as I figured I would be, so I'm drinking green tea and water, and I'm walking an extra two miles tonight to help flush the water out.

Move on, and don't worry about it. :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    well? that's what i've been doing..if i go over the night before by a few hundred calories..i exercise the next day and don't eat all the calories back to compensate. I think that is a great way to do this entire thing..balance out the weekly calories with exercise and make sure you make your deficit to lose.
  • PrinnyMartel
    PrinnyMartel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If I go over my goal by a lot, I'll divide it up and subtract calories from the next few days.
    ex: if I go over by 400, I'll only eat 1700 the next four days instead of 1800.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Jump back on track today. Try to have less "bad" days and stick it out for the long run but understand that sometimes cheat days happen and don't beat yourself up about it.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat it. I prefer to look at things weekly anyway rather than daily. So, if I go over by say 500 calories one day, I'll try to stay under by 100 calories for 5 days of the week. You can also add a bit more exercise in during the week to cover it if you'd rather do it that way. Seriously though, we're all going to have days we go over and days we go under, they generally tend to even out.

This is how I operate as well! Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Anything that was truly excess was already stored as fat.

And most exercise is at most going to be 50% fat burn, rest carbs. So it'll kind of work out in the wash, in that next few meals will replenish those carb stores instead of being excess.

Now, do the exercise first, leave carb stores ready to be filled, eat big, those get filled first, less chance of surplus being stored as fat.
  • ericmooney69
    Options
    Excessive guilt and anxiety over eating outside of your regular diet for a meal or day or two can be more "unhealthy" than the "crime" itself. It happens. Just resume where you left off before that. Personally, I think any effort to make up for it isn't necessary. You did nothing wrong so don't punish yourself. It really isn't fair. It's kind of like overly punishing a kid who is GREAT 99% of the time and makes a mistake.

If anything, if you think (or KNOW) you are going to blow up your diet tonight because you are going out for a special occassion, then do that extra work ahead of time. Then enjoy whatever you want that night guilt free!!