Lifting Heavy & Gaining Weight :(

Options
I just started lifting heavy this past week and in the first week I GAINED a pound. I know, I know, muscles retain water when you are building them. But what I want to know is - for those of you who have lifted heavy before, did you gain initially? How long did it last before you started to lose? I'm trying to not be TOO concerned about the number on the scale, but I'd really like to shed another 15 or so pounds. Mostly I want to COMFORTABLY fit in my size 8's again (I can technically wear them now but look like a busted can of biscuits, yuck!) Better yet, I'd like to get down to a size 6 and don't see that happening if I remain at 158. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yes...it is water retention. It's the first week of something absolutely new to you and lifting heavy is pretty intense shock to the muscles initially...so you're going to retain water while your muscles repair. How many days are you lifting? You do need to make sure you're giving yourself time off for recovery. Also a good dose of protein within 30 minutes will help with recovery. Once your body becomes acclimated to your routine it'll be better.

Just remember that it's pretty much impossible that you've gained one pound of fat if you've been working out and eating at a deficit and you can't add muscle weight like that in a week either.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting heavy don't pay attention to the scales... measure yourself and judge your progress based on the measurements.

Lifting heavy will cause you to gain weight... if you are lifting heavy it is probably best for you to increase your calories and protein and focus on building some muscle. That will make you look smaller and be smaller but the weight won't show it.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Since I've started my stronglifts program, 2 months ago, I've lost 0 lbs, but lost over an inch on my waist. Ignore the scale.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting heavy this past week and in the first week I GAINED a pound. I know, I know, muscles retain water when you are building them. But what I want to know is - for those of you who have lifted heavy before, did you gain initially? How long did it last before you started to lose? I'm trying to not be TOO concerned about the number on the scale, but I'd really like to shed another 15 or so pounds. Mostly I want to COMFORTABLY fit in my size 8's again (I can technically wear them now but look like a busted can of biscuits, yuck!) Better yet, I'd like to get down to a size 6 and don't see that happening if I remain at 158. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Consensus is usually 2 weeks into a new diet or exercise routine to start to balancing out.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Toss the scale or it will drive you crazy! I lift and lose painfully slow it was starting to really get me down. The important thing is that my body is changing inches are coming off and my body is looking better each passing week, my clothes are looser I can wear boots lol Don't sweat the number on the scale it is unimportant.
  • ericmooney69
    Options
    weight isn't the issue..... body composition is immensely more important. Because you only mentioned weight, I assume you aren't measuring inches and BMI. Like it was said earlier, focus on measurements.
  • annajazz11
    annajazz11 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the scale.

I did a lot of lifting a few years back for five months. I lost only 10lbs in weight, but I lose a total of two pant sizes.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Water retetion, water retention, water retention.

I would advise not stepping on the scale.

I gained 5 pounds (took a year) after starting lifting heavy but I'm better for it.

Don't focus on the scale.
  • hlpatton
    hlpatton Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies! :happy: