Why am I Having Such a Hard Time?

Options
Ok so I started my weight loss journey back in March 2011 and was down 35 pounds around September 2011. I slowly gained all my weight back and now I am a little heavier than I was back in March 2011. I know deep down I can do this again but why am I having a harder time this time around with losing weight and motivation. I did really well after Thanksgiving and lost 5 pounds in one week and now back to my old habits. I don't know how to get my motivation and drive back :-( Suggestions? Ugh....

Replies

• lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't stress out so much about it. It has been said countless times, and will be said countless times again: this is a lifestyle change, not just a diet. If you want a cookie, have a cookie. It's everything in moderation. If you treat it like a punishment to work out or eat an apple, then you'll just feel awful and not stick with it. Instead, treat it like it's something new and exciting. There's always something new to learn or try. (:

Go to the library or Barnes and Noble and look through diet/workout books. It often helps me because I'll get interested in trying something new that I learned.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Don't stress out so much about it. It has been said countless times, and will be said countless times again: this is a lifestyle change, not just a diet. If you want a cookie, have a cookie. It's everything in moderation. If you treat it like a punishment to work out or eat an apple, then you'll just feel awful and not stick with it. Instead, treat it like it's something new and exciting. There's always something new to learn or try. (:

Go to the library or Barnes and Noble and look through diet/workout books. It often helps me because I'll get interested in trying something new that I learned.

I like this^^ idea of treating it like a new and exciting endeavor not a punishment. What are your old habits? Is it exercise related, food related or a bit of both? With the food side of it - I love looking up topics here with recipes. I just printed out a veggie burger recipe that looks awesome and I'm excited to try it out this weekend. As far as exercise - I have a few people I work out with so I have great accountablity and support group IRL. But joining groups here with one week challenges that you post to daily would be helpful too.

Sorry if this is getting to be a novel...:tongue:
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Well- this is hard!! If it were not hard- the whole world would be thin and beautiful! Instead- more than half the population is now overweight.

I admire your persistence- the most important thing IMO is making the decision to start over- even if we have to make it every day! Read over what you wrote about your inspirations and motivation - it's really beautiful. And reread it often, I bet it will help.

Beyond that, all I can really tell you is what works for me. I am pretty stubborn- so making up my mind and sticking to it is important. Also, for me it helps to tell other people (friends and family) that I am doing this and it's important to me. For example, I just spent the holidays at home with mom and dad- who love to feed me- and I told them flat out that I would have a moderate amount of measured treats- but NOT every day and ONLY if they "let" me take the time to go to the gym periodically. That worked well. Finding exercise I like (I HATE running) has also helped a lot. I don't think we can really lose weight by exercising- but that 200 calories or so that we get from a decent workout for me often makes the difference between whether or not I can have something good to eat without going over my goal.

Oh- and you used to have your diary open for your friends to see- maybe you should reopen it so we can help you more? But it's up to you.
  • slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Figure out your "why". Why do YOU want to lose. When you find a reason that you can envision, it will drive you little by little to your goal. You can do this!!!!!!
  • mandapanda001
    mandapanda001 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have joined a fitness challenge on here, my first ever!! So that is exciting and my husband has said when we go to the grocery store this weekend we are going to get some low carb foods and start doing better because he wants to lose weight as well. I remember how I felt when I lost all that weight and plus I want to get pregnant so right now those are my two motivators :-)