Medifast...Is anyone on here on or ever been on Medifast?

Options
I started the program before the holidays and then stopped due to all the events and such but starting back tomorrow and wanted to know if anyone has tried it, tips, etc...would love to speak to some that have..

Replies

• shape_up4good
    Options
    I am on it...I have only lost 45 lbs since October on it though :)
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I did it for awhile. Lost about 15 and have kept it off. My mom lost about 40 and has kept it off. But FYI--you'll probably get a LOT of hate on this site for posting this. I know I did when I posted a similar topic a few years ago.
  • jessica6582
    jessica6582 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did medifast for a while and I found it extremely difficult to stick to. For me, it was too much of a calorie reduction & my body had a very negative reaction to it. I wish it had worked for me since I have a lot of weight to lose as that would be a good way to get started then you could transition to using MFP for day to day calorie tracking.
  • LoriIone
    LoriIone Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    what is it? A pill?
  • dannigirl1
    Options
    Both my parents did it 20 years ago. My dad lost weight eventho he was eating twice as much as my mom, according to her and she gained weight but that was when she found out she was pregnant with me :) they would do it again now but since it was $800 a week 20 years ago and now I'm in college it's to much.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    anything with the term fast in it should be avoided when it comes to weight loss in my opinion
  • CFam5
    CFam5 Posts: 24
    Options
    Ok, I recently did medifast for five long months! I wanted to drop weight quickly before my wedidng and a friend suggested it. I was completely driven to stick to it because I wanted to look great in my wedding dress; that however, is the ONLY way I could stomach the food. It's a quick fix and it is expensive! Does it work? Yes! Does it taste gross? Yes! Does it cost a lot of money? Yes! Do you get results quickly? Yes! A week before my wedding I quit medifast. I gained every pound back plus some more. It didn't help me make a lifestyle change. If you have extra income & need a quick fix then go for it. If you are looking to loose a good amount of weight, get healthy, and make a change for the better then it's not for you. Someone here on MFP said to me the other day, "being overweight is hard ....working out and eating right is hard, so pick your hard."
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Medifast too. Last year while I was strict on it I lost 22 lbs. Over the holidays I gained 7 back....damn you holiday cookies, dinners, drinks and more! Since Dec 28th, I am back strict. As of Friday, I was 3 lbs back down, though haven't weighed myself since then. I do some kind of workout 6 days a week. I splurge for one meal a week. I've found the foods I like and stick with those for the most part.
    Breakfast: Coffee, a Calorie Burn Cappuccino, and a tsp of Torani Caramel Sugar Free Syrup (sometimes add in Unsweetened cocoa too for a mocha)
    I like most of the bars & puffs.
    You can make the pancakes in a coffee mug and it's kinda like a muffin.
    I add a tbsp of Almond Butter into the choc chip cookie or brownie, which makes it really delicious!
    I just made up a batch of my own homemade veggie burgers for quick lean and green meals.
    When I am craving something, I will add in some Parmesan cheese to dinner for some extra flavor and trick myself into thinking its more 'rich.'
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while. While I agree most of the food was pretty gross, there are ways to make it beter, you will have to check out the the message boards on mymedifast.com for help on making somethings better. The oatmeal was the only thing that I actually had to choke down. I did lose 50 pounds on it but gained it all back. About the only thing that it really taught me was portion control and I did not stick to the maintenance portion of the program.

It does cost about 300 a month if you sign up for the auto ship program. My parents paid for it for me as they were on it as well.
  • Brewster1620
    Brewster1620 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did it about two years ago and I lost about 20lbs before I couldn't tolerate the food anymore. I then gained the weight back. I've tried all the diet plans and the only one that worked was the one that cost nothing - MFP and running.
  • worldgirl28
    Options
    My mom did it for 3 months and lost 45 lbs but quit the program due to the high cost and low calories. She gained it all back, unfortunately.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I did it and lost 50 lbs, but I quit because I felt like I was cheating not losing the weight on my own. Also, you should read this. http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/medifast-diet
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I did it last year to jump start my weight loss but quit because it really was not enough calories for me to achieve my workout goals. I did lose 13 pounds on it and have kept it off since then and even lost some more weight (slowly and in a more healthy way) on my own. I think, like any program, if you stop doing it cold turkey and go back to your old eating habits that you will gain the weight back.

The food is not all that great but I did really like the bars and shakes. There are a ton of recipes on their message board site for ways to doctor the food up to taste better that still fit in with the plan.

I've since learned (through MFP) how to eat correctly for my body and probably would never go back to doing Medifast but I do think the program works if you stick to it, but the key to success is that you have to transition properly to a healthy lifestyle instead of just stopping.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Gimmicky programs like this really only work for people who are either unwilling or unable to do regular higher intensity exercise, and even then a lot of the people gain the weight back because at the end of the day it's not something you can make a lifestyle out of.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I lost 125 lbs using Medifast and have kept it off for almost 2 years now. It does work, but is not for everyone. For me, I think it worked because it took the thinking out of it for me. I didn't really have to think about what to eat. If you follow the plan all the way through goal and transition, it then teaches you how to go back to a healthy diet and maintain your weight loss.

I think the most important thing I learned on Medifast...and since...is that if you want to be successful you have to say goodbye to your old habits. It's not a temporary change. If you go back to eating the way you were eating before, the weight will come back. But that happens with every weight loss plan.

Medifast has been highly rated recently by some studies and was also recently rated as one of the most successful. So it does work.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!