Nausea after a workout... Normal?? HELP!

Options
Hey guys, I just started doing what I would consider a pretty intense workout, though for a lot of you I'm sure would be a measly work out., but afterward I get super nauseous. I dont throw up, but I just feel miserable. I even get some cold sweats and light-headedness.

I do drink a TON of water on a regular basis, so I don't think that's the problem.
I have switched back and forth from doing it on an empty stomach and with some food in me... I get it no matter what. Maybe I'm eating the wrong things?

My question is weather or not this is normal? Is it something I just need to ride out? I am going from being almost completely sedentary so I'm not sure what this feeling is!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• evanick528
    evanick528 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me when I started lifting for the first time. I felt nauseous after I was done, and food/lack of would not help. After a few weeks, I am fine and dont really experience it unless I push myself way too hard.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I only ever threw up once and almost threw up once...intense workouts tend to do this to anyone. (both sessions were with personal trainers and they were very high intensity)
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have experienced this many times. Most often after lifing hard
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's just from exertion. As you get more fit it will stop.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It's just from exertion. As you get more fit it will stop.

Agree!
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try eating a banana before your workout until you get more fit. You may need the potassium.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The Nausea thing, it happened to me the first time I did as many burpees as I could (first time doing them, ever).
  • derpina88
    derpina88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I feel better. Just had a moment of panic.

So now I guess I'll just have to keep working at it until I experience these supposed "endorphins" I am supposed to feel. o.O

..................................still waiting..............
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I get this every time I do an intense workout, just raise your arms up and ride it out. It happens less the more fit you are. Used to happen every time I worked out, now about every other week.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    According to Wiki: "...It may be a symptom of either over exertion during exercise, or from too abruptly ending an exercise session. People engaged in high intensity exercise such as aerobics and bicycling have reported suffering from exercise induced nausea. A study of 20 volunteers conducted at Nagoya University, Japan associated a higher degree of exercise induced nausea after eating. It has been suggested that exercise induced nausea could be caused by increased endorphin levels, which are released while exercising. Endorphins have been associated with nausea and vomiting, so this theory is plausible, but unsupported by evidence.

Another possible cause of exercise induced nausea is water logging-another word for overhydration. Drinking too much water before, during, and/or after exercise (or at any time) can cause nausea, diarrhea, confusion, and muscle tremors. If the overhydration is significant enough, it can be fatal. Excessive water consumption reduces or dilutes electrolyte levels in the body. It is encouraged to control your level of water intake when working out, and also to eat salty snacks when you have consumed too much water (sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium are electrolytes)."

If it persists even after one is conditioned to a higher level of conditioning--see your doc. It could be related to a variety of conditions from anemia to renal disease to pregnancy.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

So now I guess I'll just have to keep working at it until I experience these supposed "endorphins" I am supposed to feel. o.O

According to the Wiki article I posted, it might actually be the endorphins that are causing the nausea. :noway: Who knew??!
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

It happens. When I was a runner, several of my friends would get sick and literally throw up and then start back running right after that. It seems to be a normal process. I like to think it is my "fat" saying "HELP" lol
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

You're experiencing low blood sugar. Have a gatorade (rather than a banana).
  • Angeliize
    Options
    For me it is low blood sugar. I limit my carbs and my doctor explained what I am doing to myself. I am a picky eater and have gluten intolerance so his solution was sugar tablets and try to eat carb snacks when doing long hikes (I go backpacking). Happened today while doing a day hike. I had one sugar tablet and felt so much better.