Is skipping lower body weights ok?

Options
I think my first post got lost:(
Anyways.

My goal is weight loss and i do mainly cardio ( runnung, step class, eclipical). I also do weights 2/3x a week to keep muscle mass. Seeing that all these really work the legs, can I skip on the doing the leg weight machines?.

For me its more a time issue. I feel if I run 45 minutesmat my 220 lbs. My legs have had enough of a muscular workout and I can then focus only on upper body and core?? Or should I still lift leg weights ??

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You could run a 3 day full body routine that works your whole body in a short amount of time. Cut cardio if you have to. Srs.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    If you're still trying to lose weight I would keep the cardio, but add in a couple of weight days as well. Nothing too strenuous at first, maybe some squats and deadlifts, with lower weights until you feel comfortable.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Can you? Sure. It's your body, your time and your routine... do what ever you want.

I know you said that weight loss was your goal, but lifting is never a bad thing and most people like themselves better at the end if they have been lifting since the beginning. Just look at all the "at goal weight, don't like how I look, now what?" threads.

IMO, full body lifting is important for a variety of reasons. But yes, you can skip it. Just realize that running or step class or whatever else isn't the same as low body lifting. The movements are different, the strain on the muscles is different, and the physical response from the body is different.

On a side note, weight loss happens by sustaining a healthy calorie deficit. You don't need to do exercise to lose weight. So regardless of what you do for your workouts, make sure your diet is in check. It's very easy to out-eat a good exercise program, but you can't out lazy a good diet.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Running is not a "muscular workout". Nor is any other cardio exercise.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    "cardio" athletes like olympic track cyclists work 'leg weights' like crazy. Without that, they would be a lot slower/less effective.
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Once of the issues of substituting an activity like running is that you tend to develop imbalances. Over time these imbalances become worse and lead to injuries (back issues, knee issues ....)

Also the legs, and back are way large muscles than the upper body, so from a weight loss / body composition perspective these should be your focus.

Last working on lower body strength will improve your sports, so skipping them in favor of training muscles that arent used in your sports doesn't make sense

You can get a pretty thorough full body routine in an hour, so I would say no don't skip.