55 and feeling old and fat

Options
Hi all ,

I have made the first step to a better life .... I hope !
I have set up an account on MyFitnesePal and my goal is to start my diet on Monday
any advice for us older ones greatly received :o)

Replies

• zumaetsunny
    Options
    Hi, if you are looking for recipe, there is www:skinnytaste.com a lot of recipe with weight watchers points

zumaetsunny :smile:
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Monday, Monday.. why Monday? Everyone says I'll start my diet Monday.
    Well, one Sunday morning I woke up and said "I am too Fat and today, I am going to do something about it" I then asked my husband if he wanted to go up to the high school track and run with me.
    I ran less then one lap and thought I was going to DIE! I wanted to unzip my chest and lay on the ground with my tongue hanging out.. So I walked and had a beet red face for hours after.
    But I didn't quit and 6 months later, I dumped 46 lbs and I can run 16 laps.
    I also ran a 5K.
    I feel much better, my face doesn't get beet red anymore and I look forward to my workouts, especially on my run days.
    Imagine that? Looking forward to a workout? I used to HATE running. Hated it. But now I love it.
    Good luck
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Why wait? Start today and you will be four days closer to feeling more fit and younger!:smile:
  • caughey1
    Options
    Hi I am 55 and fat too so I started this programme on monday and have found it really great to figure out what I am eating right and what foods are wrong
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Yup, old and fat is about right; me too.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    P.S: Monday never comes. It's always "today".
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Start today! Don't wait! It is a life journey! Why wait four more days to take control and start feeling better?
  • happydays2525
    happydays2525 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I''m also 55. I have been using mfp for over 310 days and have lost 50lbs and I feel great and my health has improved, I have more energy and love shopping for clothes now. You can do it , just remember you have to change your eating habits and keep moving in some way. Good luck and my account is open so you can look at me pics and menu.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 56 and not feeling old, and feeling really great about my weight loss! You can be there, too! It's okay to start on a Monday, at least, it worked for me. Use these couple of days to look into healthy foods. Go to websites like Skinnytaste.com and find some recipes that look delicious and easy. Maybe even make some of them ahead and freeze them, so you're "equipped" to start your life-style change. Load up on fresh chicken, low-fat ground turkey, fruits, vegetables. Look at your MFP diary and determine what macros you want to track. To me, the most important were protein, fiber, sodium and calcium. Given your health, others might be more important to you. Decide on Sunday what you are going to eat on Monday. You won't feel worried on Monday about having to make choices, you'll already know. Sunday night, enter your entire menu for Monday. Check your total calories and your macros. Is something off, tweak it. I recommend you set your diary with 6 meals. You don't have to use them all, and most days, I don't. But when I know ahead of time what I'm going to be eating and when, I don't obsess about food.

I'd say good luck, but you don't need luck. You've found an incredibly effective tool to succeed in getting healthy. So instead I'll say wish you an attitude of perseverence. Here's to you and the new life ahead of you!!!
  • NEGU0128
    Options
    I agree with the rest, start today. BUT if Monday is when you really want to start, start today doing it more slowly. You don't have to jump head first into the deep end. If today you skip that extra portion of food, that is a first step. If today you drink 2 glasses of water that is another first step. Each little thing will get you into it. By Monday you could have made several small changes and got yourself going without stopping everything cold turkey and not feeling like you gave up everything you were used to.

This is a slow journey and you will find your stride. Go at your own pace, don't try to keep up with others and don't judge yourself by what other people are doing. You are the only one that can keep you going, although some help from friends along the way doesn't hurt!

Good Luck !!
  • betsz1
    betsz1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you want to wait until Monday to start...my thought is that you should use the time make a solid plan for yourself. Get your kitchen gutted of the fattening foods...restock with foods that will help you. Research exercise plans and pick one that you think you would actually enjoy doing. I think the only way to succeed is to lose the weight "your way". Only you know what you like to eat and what you enjoy doing. Chances are...once you start planning you will want to start right away. Good luck...and most of all have fun!! :smile:
  • me23823
    me23823 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No need to wait!!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am a Monday Starter. I am more organized, motivated, and accountable when I start things on Monday.
    The few times I was made myself start on a different day, employing the 'why wait for Monday;start today'' method, it is always a big flop and sets me back.

Mondays work for me.
    Edit: I use the days leading up to 'Monday' for forma solid plan and gather any needed supplies....

Good luck and have fun!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and My Life totally changed for the Best. I lost over 100 lbs over the past 3 years.

If I were you I would not wait until Monday because most people don't have problems DURING the work week...it's the weekends that "mess-up" people. I know you THINK you have BIG Eating to do, BUT If you are going to SUCCEED, you probably need to make things a Lifestyle Change. Yeah, you will mess-up, but give yourself a chance starting off...The stuff you STUFF yourself with going into THIS will mess you up because all of the Sugar, Carbs, Fat... you are going to Force Feed yourself in the Next 4 days will be hard to dump and will cause untold cravings. And you will just reinforce BAD habits on the Weekend.

But You do what you want to...Me, I'd start Saturday Morning at 12:01 AM (that's Friday Night just after Mid-Night) LOL.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Like everybody else sez--do it now. Set up your account. Log your food. Get started. Tomorrow you'll already have a day behind you.

Feel free to add me. I'm older than you but I don't feel old or fat. Because I didn't wait 'til Monday!
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would start today. But if you want to wait I would follow the people's advice that said to use the next few days to come up with a plan and stock up on healthy food and find some healthy recipes. The other thing you should do is decide how you're going to burn calories and that could be tough if you're still working. Maybe plan to walk at lunch or find a gym to go to before or after work.

Good luck!
  • lpc505_girl
    Options
    Personally, I am a Monday Starter. I am more organized, motivated, and accountable when I start things on Monday.
    The few times I was made myself start on a different day, employing the 'why wait for Monday;start today'' method, it is always a big flop and sets me back.

Mondays work for me.
    Edit: I use the days leading up to 'Monday' for forma solid plan and gather any needed supplies....

Good luck and have fun!

I love this advice! i waited to start on January 1st because i wanted to start with a clean slate. Sometimes we need that! In the meantime i researched a plan of attack. I'm going on 10 days, by no means an amazing feat but I feel hopeful and motivated, taking it step by step, one day at a time! Good luck!!!!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You've taken the first step; realizing that something needs to change. Going forward, understand that lifestyle change is going to be a journey. Be patient and don't try to take on too many major changes all at once, but at the same time feel a sense of urgency as it's going to determine your quality of life in the future. It's really quite basic, learning to incorporate exercise into your daily regimen, learning to eat what foods are going to be healthy alternatives and finding ways to prepare them that you will enjoy. 55 does not need to be over the hill. My wife at 52 started walking every day a couple of years ago and within a few months was up to 5 miles a day. She dropped 20 pounds in a year doing just that. I'm going to be 56 in a couple of weeks and I'm still competing in triathlons etc. and feel like I can do everything I want to do. If you're not sure how to move forward perhaps talk to a dietician or a personal trainer who can help set up a program for you. Good luck!