Oatmeal no longer filling

Options
I have been back on track for a couple weeks including exercise. Oatmeal used to fill me up for 3-4 hours after eating it. (I have been having oatmeal for breakfast for atleast the past 4-6 months) Now I eat in the am 1/2 cup dry oatmeal with 5 strawberries and cinnamon. 1/2 hour after eating I feel extremely hungry still. I make sure to drink plenty of water before during and after as well. Any ideas why?

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Because it's about 175 calories! Add some peanut butter to your oatmeal, eat an egg, or have some Greek yogurt. I'd be starving 15 minutes after that breakfast.
  • takehomepay
    takehomepay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think what evileen99 is saying is add some protien. It burns longer. Your oatmeal will provide you with ready energy then the protien will take over and carry you to lunch or a morning snack.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Eat some protein, make your oatmeal with milk not water, add some whey/ nuts/ seeds/ cottage cheese or have a couple of eggs on the side. At present the meal is largely carbs with a little added carbs. If you have instant or quick cook oats switch to steel cut or jumbo.
  • stgmanitoba
    Options
    I'll add a couple egg whites on the side. Thanks everyone!
  • avakathryn
    Options
    I agree with everyone, you need to add some protein! I have oatmeal every single day for brekky (it's my main carb source for the day and I LOVE oatmeal)... I have 1/3 cup slow cooking oats (add 2/3 cup water, microwave for about 7 minutes @ 50% and they're perfect) with 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 banana, a handful of berries and about 1/3 cup almond milk. Super yummy and it keeps me full for a good 3 - 4 hours!! :-)
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Another way to add protein is to throw in some peanut butter. Flavor-wise it goes really well with the maple brown sugar kind. PB2 is a powdered PB that doesn't add as many calories as normal peanut butter (and is DELICIOUS), though it can be a little tricky to find. I end up ordering mine off of amazon.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Today was oatmeal day for me -

1/2 c oats
    1/3 c plain greek yogurt (or sometimes more)
    1/2 c fresh blueberries (or any fruit)
    1 Tbs honey
    1/8 c walnuts (plus the few I popped in my mouth while I was fixing breakfast!) :tongue:
    cinnamon

Cals: 387
    Carbs: 63
    Fat: 12
    Protein: 17

Keeps me satisfied and energized all morning.