Sights and Smells

Options
Hello All, I'm new to MFP and I wanted to share something with ya'll that has helped me once I realized it.
First it was when I was watching the Food Network I would start having food cravings even when I was not hungry. I enjoyed watching those programs but I would start wanting to stuff myself with mostly Junk Food. So if you are gonna watch these cooking shows know when to draw the line or at least avoid Guy's Dives and Drives. Know which shows are going to reveal healthy recipes. If you know watching Paula Dean use the cream cheese is gonna be a trigger don't tune in. Maybe watch one of the more competitive shows like Iron Chef instead.

And second, I love candles! Most women do. Well I had gotten one of those warmers for a candle where it warms the wax without actually burning the wick, well when I used a vanilla or cinnamon bun scented candle it would make me want to eat sweets. I did not realize it at first but that smell in the air of baked cookies or cake drove me nuts. So now I avoid these scents and try to go for something fruity instead. At least with the fruit scent if I have a craving that I give into it will be a healthier choice of snack.

These are 2 of the ways I have gotten rid of cravings for fattening foods.
Thanks, Jen

Replies

• NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I was watching "America's Test Kitchen" last night and they were making chocolate pudding. Odd how I didn't realize that I was craving pudding until I watched that segment.

Candles go both ways for me. I'd I go into a candle shop and smell too many, I get sick to my stomach. But some scents do set me off a bit. Bath and Body Works is very cruel. They have a "French baguette" scented candle that smells just like freshly made bread. I almost wanted to eat the wax lol. They also have a chocolate peppermint candle that smells delicious.
  • amarna13
    amarna13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Candles don't really bother me but walking past the chocolate store in the mall is torture. :D

I do have to say I know what you mean with the cooking shows though. I try not to watch many of them anymore. The one that I do watch if I can catch it airing on PBS is P. Allen Smith's show. He does a lot with fresh veggies and usually I get inspired to make a healthy meal. Kitchen Nightmares I find to be okay most of the time too because the beginning where they show the state some of the restaurant kitchens are in usually scares me out of wanting to eat out.
  • Clhumpal
    Clhumpal Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like to watch the cooking shows in the morning when I'm on the treadmill, lol - There's no way I can whip up a creme brulee in the morning before work, so it's pretty safe, lol