Tears

Options
I was not sure where to even post this so I hope here is the right place. A brief synopsis of me, have spent the last 20 years taking care of everyone else and thus let myself be last on the list if even on the list. Now, it is time for me. I am a complete novice when it comes to the right way to lose the fat, keep the muscle and overall get myself to a level of fitness that I have always wanted but never achieved. In fact being "kick *kitten*" fit was never even on my radar until now (I am in my 40's). Knowing myself and the fact that I didn't have the knowledge to put together a road map to reach my goals, I decided to enlist the help of a personal trainer. For those of you who know how all the chemistry, physiology and emotional mechanics of how to get in top physical shape, I applaud you so please don't down me for investing in a trainer. I have seen posts where people have been a bit snarky when responding to someone who chose to go the PT route.

So here is my questions and why the post is entitled Tears. Last week was more of an assessment week. The first day with the trainer he put me through some testing exercises. He had to gauge what I could and could not do to find a starting point for my training. I have a knee replacement so that is a hurdle I am having to overcome as well. This week began what I can only refer to as the "real deal". Monday was intense for me. I had a moment when I panicked because I felt tears welling up in me as I pushed myself to do my workout. Yesterday, I did a workout that consisted of doing a circuit of different cardio/strength times 5 . I was working against the clock to see how fast I could complete the 5 times. I was establishing a base line to work against to improve my time.

This was a tough work out for me. My trainer was there doing his job encouraging, motivating and holding me accountable but I was doing the workout solo for the most part. He would step in to instruct me on technique or step in to hold me accountable to doing it the right way and not cutting corners. So about half way through the workout, I was running my lap interval and I could feel the urge to cry just really coming to the surface. So here I am giving it my all and fighting to push through and all the sudden the added stress to hold back tears was there again but this time was more intense than the first time it happened. I never out and out cried but I could feel that intense need to let the water works fly. I had to fight this urge off and on for the last half of the workout.

I talked to my PT about it afterwards and he explained that yes, it can happen and that it is not a bad thing. He explained that it is like at that moment in the middle of the workout you are facing your fears, your past limitations, all kinds of mental/emotional stuff and it becomes a defining moment in your journey. He said it happens to newbies like me and those who are in top form like him. He said he has experienced it when he is in a competition situation and is having to push himself harder to go against a tough competitor. He told me that getting strong and fit would not only change my body but would have an impact on the mind and emotions as well. I didn't expect to have this type of thing happen and just wanted to put this out there to see if there are others who have experienced it and how you navigated it during your workouts. The tears were not coming from a place that I was in pain or hurt feelings like my PT was being too hard on me. They literally just welled up when I was pushing my body to push through and reach the goal of finishing the workout. On a positive note, I finished the entire workout with a decent time but certainly room for vast improvement and I felt so good because I didn't quit so it was all good in the end but in the middle I felt like a crumbling wall.

Any advice or just confirmation that I am not a crazy kick *kitten* woman? Thanks for taking time to read the long post.

Replies

• jillymurdoch
    jillymurdoch Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh ya, you're not crazy at all. It's happened to me in yoga, during a run, etc. Like an unexpected emotional detox!!
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    :cry: First, way to go for working so hard to achieve your goals!! I say "good job for hiring a PT" anything that helps you along the way to fitness and health is okay!!

As for tears, I know for me that all strong emotion (and some not so strong) cause me to cry!! Sometimes just a bit teary and other times out and out sobbing! It is an emotional reaction for me and doesn't take much to trigger. Anything that "moves" you can cause it and, apparently "move" is the literal trigger!! I say laugh when you are overcome by it because it means that this journey is important to you.

Keep pushing through!
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I tend to get emotional when I'm working out. So sometimes if a sad song comes on, or if Extreme Home Makeover is on one of the tv's at the gym I have to fight back tears.

ETA: I think it's pretty normal, especially for women.
  • Andipat
    Andipat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Have you thought that those tears could be relief. You have realised that you are now in control, and are able to do something good for you, for probably the first time. I had a personal trainer once, and it was tough. Don't let anybody tell you it was the wrong decision. You have started on a new mission and you need to get it right. Go for it. You have inspired me. Good luck

andipat
  • aleciamio
    aleciamio Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are so not crazy, this has happened to me in almost the exact same situation as you described! My PT has assured me I'm not the only one he trains that does this...I'ts a natural response to something that doesn't yet feel natural, like pushing your physical limits. Don't worry, just let the tears go, take a breath and keep going!
  • JennyBug2007
    Options
    When I run, I run down the street, and I've had people stop and ask if I'm okay.

It's like a happy-sad cry. You're happy that your making such an effort, but you're sad that you have to. Just let 'em flow (as long as you're not in complete hysterics).
  • bmeek530
    Options
    It has definitely happened to me! Keep up the good work and good luck on your journey!
  • GroveGirl1905
    Options
    This happened to me too! I started working out with a trainer about two years ago and the first few weeks I felt on the verge of tears almost the entire workout. All I can say is stick with it, don't give up and you'll work through it. I recently started working out on my own...it was hard to say 'good-bye' to my trainer. I wouldn't have thought that two years ago when I started! You'll be fine!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen at the end of a really tough workout yea

Just a type of release I guess
  • kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    that happened to me this morning and i wasn't sure where it was coming from. Happy I was out there... Sad it wasn't over yet... Emotional because I can actually do it. I don't think you're crazy. If you are.... we ALL are
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I've had tears break through while stretching after a tough workout. Gah; hate it!
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    First of all, So Proud of you for taking steps to improving yourself. I, too, was/am a caregiver and for 20 years took care of everyone BUT myself. About a year ago I decided that it was my turn. I needed to come first.

I have had the tears during an intense workout. I can recall, for me, it has been a combination of feelings all trying to come out at once; fear, pain, so happy that I was actually doing this, but can I do more and if so, what is MORE... etc.

You are not crazy. You should be very proud of yourself.
  • FirstCoastLisa
    Options
    Wow,thanks to you all for letting me know that these tears can be part of the process. It is one thing to be very out of shape and faced with the challenge of getting into shape but to think that I had some kind of "crazy" going on as well was just about to make me think as much as I want to do this I can't but you have all shown me, this is not crazy coming to call just part of the process.

I am so glad I posted the topic and you all stepped up to reassure me. Thank you just doesn't seem like enough but those are the only words I can come up with at the moment.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    No offense intended for those who go the "ground-based" exercise, but if it were me and I had already had a knee replacement, I would go with water exercise--safer for people with joint problems. Just my opinion, but I attend two classes per week and there are a LOT of people in my classes who have had and continue to have joint problems. Mine have gone away since I started my classes but there are plenty of people who have had joint replacements in the class and who praise it to the sky. One lady said that she was diagnosed with osteoarthritis 23 years ago and told that she would have to have a knee replacement in five years and likely a hip replacement in less than ten. She has had neither and still gets around well (she has gone to the water fitness class twice a week for the 23 years---she is 76 years old). I get emotional in the pool too. They play music over the P.A. and just the other day, I found myself tearing up during the class--just for the joy of moving in the water (with nothing hurting me). But then, I think I'm part fish. :happy:
  • angserino
    Options
    First off....congratulations on finishing. You are not crazy and you are certainly not alone. Your profile reminds me of myself and we are the same age. I had so many emotions at many different times in the beginning. I think it is very normal for a lot of people. It's a total lifestyle change and your body is being forced to do things it hasn't had to do. Just let it out and carry on. In a few weeks, you will feel like you own that gym!! Hang in there and DON'T give up!! :-)
  • FlowerMound400
    FlowerMound400 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some years ago I read a book about a psychologist who led group therapy that included long distance running as part of the therapy. He theorized that long term exercise had a numbing effect on inhibitions and is mentally healing. He compared it to meditation that involves long term chanting.
  • janatleigh
    janatleigh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If I could afford to hire a personal trainer, I so would. As far as the emotional stuff goes, I totally get it. For me, it's a fear of failing AGAIN that makes me cry. Oh, and just doing something so NEW. I've never ever been a healthy weight, I am absolutely clueless as to how it's going to affect my life. What does it really feel like to be thin? Will my boyfriend (who likes me like this) still like me when I'm thin? So many fears!!

Good luck overcoming your fears. If you'd like, you can add me. I'll cheer you on!
  • FirstCoastLisa
    Options
    If I could afford to hire a personal trainer, I so would. As far as the emotional stuff goes, I totally get it. For me, it's a fear of failing AGAIN that makes me cry. Oh, and just doing something so NEW. I've never ever been a healthy weight, I am absolutely clueless as to how it's going to affect my life. What does it really feel like to be thin? Will my boyfriend (who likes me like this) still like me when I'm thin? So many fears!!

Good luck overcoming your fears. If you'd like, you can add me. I'll cheer you on!

I sent you a friend request. Hiring a trainer was one of those things that I decided was the equivalent of making an investment in me. I think the returns I will see from being fit and trim will pay for itself many times over. I paid him upfront for 6 months, twice a week and signed a contract stating that I do not get a refund on my money if I quit so this is definitely an investment in me. Plus for me in the past, I have always lost weight the wrong way ~ losing fat and muscle. Every time I see him he is giving me the blueprint on how to do all this the right way. I am sure it would cost a pretty penny or at least take a huge chunk of research time to find all the information he shares. So not only am I getting in shape, I am gaining a wealth of knowledge far out of my normal realm of knowledge.
  • FirstCoastLisa
    Options
    Some years ago I read a book about a psychologist who led group therapy that included long distance running as part of the therapy. He theorized that long term exercise had a numbing effect on inhibitions and is mentally healing. He compared it to meditation that involves long term chanting.

I do not doubt this at all. I have practiced meditation for the past few years and I know how powerful of a tool it is when it comes to mental/emotional healing. Thanks for the information, knowing this will help me lean into the experience the next time I feel those tears coming on.
  • kvanduzy
    Options
    Happens to me all the time. Usually at an intense part of a workout or run. I am never thinking of anything sad or insighful, just out of nowhere, wham, I am overcome with emotion and sob. Usually lasts for about 15-30 seconds, then off I go back to normal. People can cry during workouts for a lot of reasons, tears of joy for success, tears of fear for unknown, tears of pain, and sometimes for no reason at all, but just the body's way of an emotional release. The latter is what mine usually is. My body just explodes with emotion, probably due to pent up stress or something. I don't think much of it anymore. Honestly, it feels good when it's over. Read this article on MSNBC for some more thoughts:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21073097/ns/health-fitness/t/moved-tears-workouts-waterworks/