Venison recipes

Options
Wondering if anyone has any real good recipes for Venison with little calories?

Replies

• Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    marinate in tomato sauce... half a day at least... then throw in a pan with tomato sauce and garlic, seasonings.. simmer for abt 30min.. its wonderful! i like to put it over mashed potatoes
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Depends on what cut of meat it is.

If it's a venison steak then I may well serve it untouched by sauce etc with maybe garlic and chilli wilted spinach and sweet potato wedges.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    At my work we serve venison chops with a balsamic drizzle, shiitake mushroom risotto and sautéed veggies.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    venison works great in chili- add extra veggies - its around 200 or so per serving

brown it in lil olive oil with onions and whatever other seasonings you like....set aside meat...add 1 cup water and bring to low boiil .....add arrowroot thickening agent-mixed with small amount warm water before you pour in....wisk....gracy thickens - add meat back in and let simmer til meat tender....have over borwn rice noodles mmmmm

throw cubed in slow cooker with onion, potato, carrots, 1 can -any kind of beans, cauliflower, spinach, any veggies really, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 3 c low sodium beef boullion-add more if needed-depends on how you like your soup, and uncooked wheatberries or barley....cook on low all day til you get home an enjoy :)
  • Hownow37
    Hownow37 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is where I learned to not destroy venison: http://honest-food.net/
  • mizzlady524
    mizzlady524 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i put my venison steaks in a slowcooker then when cooked, i shred the meat and add my homemade taco seasoning for shredded beef tacos.. very yummy...and simple
  • roxyz925
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas! I am sure to have a decent Venison meal tonight!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    if it's ground use it anyways you would use ground beef or turkey or sausage
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    cook it it onions, garlic and oyster sauce. It's fabulous. Add some Asian mushroom and red peppers...so so good!!!

I eat it with noodles...

now I'm hungry for venison. My husband is a hunter, so I have it in my freezer.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I make fajitas with the steaks all the time. I only cook it to medium rare and it is AMAZING!!!! I also have a recipe for Venison Rogan Josh (Curry) that is amazing!!!!

Edited to add recipe:

INGREDIENTS
    1/4 cup EVOO
    2 pounds venison, cutinto 1-inch pieces
    Kosher salt
    2 onions, thinly sliced (3 cups)
    2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    2-4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Madras
    curry powder
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 bay leaves
    One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes pureed
    1 cup plain fat free greek yogurt
    2 cups water
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    Cilantro leaves, for garnish

DIRECTIONS
    In a large, deep skillet heat the oil. Season the venison with salt and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the venison is browned, about 12 minutes; using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate.

Add the onions to the pan and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, 4 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, curry, turmeric, cayenne and bay leaves and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato, yogurt and water; bring to a boil. Season with salt.

Return the venison and any juices to the pan. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until the venison is very tender, 1 hour. Stir in the garam masala; cook for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Garnish with cilantro.

I am a low carber so I serve this over riced cauliflower.
    Using my brands etc the following produce the following macros:
    Total Recipe 1/6 of recipe
    Calories 1864 311
    Carbs 33 6
    Fat 50 8
    Protein 299 50
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    I love it in the crock pot with onions, a few carrots maybe and sweet potatoes/white potatoes; cook it in a can/bottle of beer all day. Throw some garlic in there too and maybe a bit of cumin. Low in cals (don't overdue the potatoes and carrots) and so healthy!!
  • basnewton
    Options
    If it is ground, brown and mix with picante sauce to use in a taco salad.:happy:
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    put down a layer of aluminum foil, put a layer of bacon on the foil, put onions, deer loin or backstrap, season or not, another layer of bacon, another layer of foil, grill or place in grill or fire(careful not to burn yourself). juiciest venison steak ever. the bacon is higher calorie, but you should be good as far as venison, regardless of how you prepare it. cook til you prefer your beef steaks, i dig mine medium rare
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Now I am thinking about the venison T-bones in my freezer....promised I would save them and prepare them on a day when our friends came over....must resist
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Chili is always a good dish.
    I use it ground like beef or turkey.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    put down a layer of aluminum foil, put a layer of bacon on the foil, put onions, deer loin or backstrap, season or not, another layer of bacon, another layer of foil, grill or place in grill or fire(careful not to burn yourself). juiciest venison steak ever. the bacon is higher calorie, but you should be good as far as venison, regardless of how you prepare it. cook til you prefer your beef steaks, i dig mine medium rare

I am going to try this, sounds yummy.
  • coachjade1
    coachjade1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I pretty much add it in anything that uses beef... Instead of steaks or chunks or ground beef I use venison. YUMMY! There are a lot of recipes out there for it. I just have a tough time adding it in the recipes on here as it seems the calories are inconsistent. My husband processes all of our meat so we don't add anything extra to the ground and its pretty darn yummy in TACO's! YUMMY! That's just one of my ideas- try pinterest too!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I just made a venison stew yesterday in the CrockPot. Venison (coated with flour and browned first), wild rice, onion, carrots, stewed tomatoes and a little bit of beef broth
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've got some nice deer chops in the fridge right now ready to be cooked up in about an hour or so. A little salt and pepper, fire up the grill, serve rare (med rare for the boss). Add a potatoe and some cauliflower and we're done.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I mostly have our venison ground and then use in anything I would use ground beef in. the only thing you have to be careful of is it drying out since it is much leaner than beef naturally. but you may already know that. The only cuts we typically get are roast and I honestly prefer venison over beef anymore. about 8-10 hours in the crockpot, some onions, potatoes and carrots and broth and it is fall apart tender. yummmy!