Meal replacement shake high in protein

Options
Hey Everyone,
I'm in search of a meal replacement shake to have for breakfast. I've used the Advocare meal replacement shakes in the past & I liked them because they seemed to keep me full & I liked that each serving contained 24 grams of protein. I'm in the market for something different simply because the Advocare shakes are really expensive. I like drinking shakes for breakfast because it's something fast & convenient on the way to work.

I workout regularly & even incorporate weights in my workouts & I guess I've been programed in my thinking of the more protein the better. Of course something lower in sugar would be ideal too.

I've heard really good things about Visalus & even GNC's Total Lean shakes but after looking at the nutrition facts each serving only offers between 9-12 grams of protein per serving. Is this protein hangup I'm having a misconception?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If I where you I would make my own with protein powder and milk. A good 5 lb 70 serving protein is $53. I recommended Optimum Nutrition.

Buy online at bodybuilding.com or some place like that. In GNC it is near 100 bucks this month because it is not a "hot buy."
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I buy whey protein and hemp protein and add them to various recipes as I make them, anything i want to boost the protein of, my home-made shakes... pancakes I can put the protein powder in place of about 1/4 of the dry ingredients boosting the nutrition. mashed potatoes... sprinkled over oatmeal or on a nut butter slice of toast.....

I don't know that you'll find actual "meal replacement" shakes that are high in protein, see lots of shakes sold as protein shakes that should be meal replacement as they have at least as many if not more carbs than they do protein. Protein shakes on the other hand...
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    GNC has a 25 gram protein powder. 200 cals per 2 scoops. Type in mixed berries on their site. It's in a white container with blue letters. It's delish!
  • Cindy22706
    Cindy22706 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino and Syntrax Matrix mint cookie. They are really good and have lots of protein.
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    I like the Bolthouse Perfectly Protein, found ready to go in many grocery stores. Tasty
  • 2013james
    Options
    If you insist on protein powder based meal replacement then make it up your self and don't fall for the marketing crap from the big protein companies(ON etc), just use plain whey protein concentrate or isolate. You should be able to buy this from a wholefoods company or there would be plenty of online options. (being in a different country I can't help with that)

They also have significantly more protein so you don't need to use as much (like 70-80% protein content)

Much better value for money and not filled with crap, it gives you the option of adding anything to it (like fruit, oatmeal, crushed nuts, cocoa powder, vanilla essence etc.)
  • julesmarie00
    Options
    Thanks for the insight on the plain whey protein concentrate. It's something to think about. I'll have to shop around for brands. I like having the option to add different ingredients.
  • julesmarie00
    Options
    Thanks for the info booboo68. I'll look into it. I prefer to stick with vanilla as a base flavor. It makes it easier to mix & add different ingredients.
  • julesmarie00
    Options
    If I where you I would make my own with protein powder and milk. A good 5 lb 70 serving protein is $53. I recommended Optimum Nutrition.

Buy online at bodybuilding.com or some place like that. In GNC it is near 100 bucks this month because it is not a "hot buy."

You're like the 3rd person who's suggested making my own. Thanks for the advice. This seems like the route to take. I just checked the GNC website & the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Standard Vanilla Ice Cream flavor is selling for 53.99 as a "hot buy".
  • mrsricta
    Options
    Garden of Life - Raw Protein Beyond Organic Protein Formula , 1 scoop = 90 calories and 17 grams of protein! I mix that with either skim milk or unsweetened almond milk and fruit - it's SO delicious and always keeps me full! I spend about 30/month on it and it lasts about a month having 1 shake a day!
  • 2013james
    Options
    Thanks for the insight on the plain whey protein concentrate. It's something to think about. I'll have to shop around for brands

The idea is to not buy from the big 'brands'

In Australia these are some of the well known companies:
    http://www.proteindirect.com.au/
    http://venomprotein.com.au/catalog/index.php
    http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/

These guys just buy bulk whey protein straight from the dairy companies (like Fonterra) and then repackage it into smaller amounts.

Companies like Optimum Nutrition, GNC, Musashi mix extras into their proteins and charge a lot simply because they're a big name.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

You're like the 3rd person who's suggested making my own. Thanks for the advice. This seems like the route to take. I just checked the GNC website & the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Standard Vanilla Ice Cream flavor is selling for 53.99 as a "hot buy".

I hope it works out for you.
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i use pro whey pw-30 protein. it has 30 grams of protein, 1 gram of fat, 1 sugar per scoop. thats mixed with water. the chocolate fudge tastes awesome. i got it from suppliment warehouse.com
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    oh, and its only 140 calories

quote]
    i use pro whey pw-30 protein. it has 30 grams of protein, 1 gram of fat, 1 sugar per scoop. thats mixed with water. the chocolate fudge tastes awesome. i got it from suppliment warehouse.com
    [/quote]