Can I still get pregnant when I want?

Options
Hi. Just to clarify, I do not want to get pregnant any time soon. I want to wait til I am married and stable. anyway, Back in May, I went on the Depo Provera birth control shot until November. I started using it because I was having periods lasting WAY too long (I had one that lasted 29 days), and that were very severe. I have never been sexually active. I came off of it because I went from 147 to 170 in 7 months... I wasn't eating much more at all and I was exercising the same amount. I havent had a period at all since May. Some people have been telling me that I can no longer get pregnant because I do not have periods. Is this true?

Replies

• Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. :-)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Hi. Just to clarify, I do not want to get pregnant any time soon. I want to wait til I am married and stable. anyway, Back in May, I went on the Depo Provera birth control shot until November. I started using it because I was having periods lasting WAY too long (I had one that lasted 29 days), and that were very severe. I have never been sexually active. I came off of it because I went from 147 to 170 in 7 months... I wasn't eating much more at all and I was exercising the same amount. I havent had a period at all since May. Some people have been telling me that I can no longer get pregnant because I do not have periods. Is this true?

Well I once went 13 months without one then found out I was pregnant. It's not impossible but I don't know what causes your problems and I know what mine are. It would probably be easier on you to get everything figured out, if possible, with that said, that was 14 years ago for me and I've had 2 children since and a butt load of fertility/period issues so I'm still not figured out. lol.
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after going off birth control it takes your body a little while to readjust to a normal cycle. People who are telling you that you can no longer get pregnant are most likely unqualified to tell you anything like that.If you really want to know go see your doctor. They can check your fertility abilities.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    AAAND this is why sex education should be mandatory in schools. YES, you can still get pregnant, as long as your body is still ovulating, even if you aren't having periods, unless, for some reason, you are having early menopause.

Can I ovulate without having a period?

Since a woman releases an egg 12-16 days before her expected period, it is possible for women to get pregnant without having periods. Women who are not menstruating due to a certain condition (i.e.…low body weight, breastfeeding, perimenopause) risk the chance of ovulating at any point. For those who want to conceive, the lack of periods could make it more difficult to know the timing of ovulation if you are not charting temperature and cervical fluid changes. But if you are not having periods and wanting to prevent pregnancy, a form of contraception should be used since there is no way to know when ovulation will occur.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Amenorrhea can be a symptom of something serious, so you need to go see your doctor about this ASAP.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Be careful! Just because you have not had a period does not mean you have not ovulated. Definitely use some other form of birth control as a backup to be sure.
  • FrozenSongBird
    FrozenSongBird Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    In my experience NO, that is false. You should see your doctor though. I have very irregular periods, I go months sometimes without so when I found out I was pregnant I was shocked because going without a period was very normal for me. I have a beautiful daughter who is 2.5 and healthy. Also I was in the 3rd trimester when I found out I was expecting.
  • BeginningNew2012
    Options
    I was on the shot for over a year and it can take up to a year getting off the shot to start resuming normal periods and to also get pregnant. This does NOT mean you cannot get pregnant during this time. If you are truely concerned, talk to your doctor. I'm sure they have been asked before.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am not going to be sexually active soon, or at least I don't plan on it. But when I do, I will use contraceptives. A bunch of my family members keep telling me that it has "permanently taken away" my fertility.
  • FrozenSongBird
    FrozenSongBird Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am not going to be sexually active soon, or at least I don't plan on it. But when I do, I will use contraceptives. A bunch of my family members keep telling me that it has "permanently taken away" my fertility.
    Falsehoods
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It takes a while for your body to adjust back to normal after depo. I am leery of anything that says it'll stop me from having periods or make them happen four times a year or whatever. However, a lot of what we do in Western medicine would be considered unnatural and much of it saves and improves lives, so what the heck do I know?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'd see your doctor, but you can still ovulate and not have a period I think.

I know someone who got pregnant while using a birth control injection, probably the same one as you!
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after going off birth control it takes your body a little while to readjust to a normal cycle. People who are telling you that you can no longer get pregnant are most likely unqualified to tell you anything like that.If you really want to know go see your doctor. They can check your fertility abilities.

Absolutely could not agree more with this, and unfortunately it's the same with the internet. I will tell you that it's probably not true that your fertility has been 'permanently taken from you forever', though. Go to the doctor, and ask specifically about PCOS. I have it, am not on BC for the same reasons you are, and have gotten 1-2 cycles per year for the last 8 years.

I am infertile, but you may not be. Get checked out, if kids are a goal you want to reach for! :) Great luck to you!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Please get advice on prescribed medications and fertility from your pharmacist or doctor, not from a diet and weight loss forum.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Just from being part of a fertility group in the past, that particular shot causes women to have irregular or no periods after stopping for a while after it seems, which makes it a bit harder to get pregnant! but you should still get it checked out to make sure it's nothing serious.