Dogs...

Options
kaylada89
kaylada89 Posts: 38 Member
Hey I have recently got a little Pug named Oscar, it took us forever to chose him.

I was wondering what kind of dog you have and why you picked that breed?

Replies

• bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Mutt dog...because she needed a home :)
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have a mutt. They say hes a shepherd mix... he's colored like one but not nearly as big. Chose him because he was the saddest looking dog in the shelter... I'm such a sucker LOL. His name is also Oscar. :)
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Kudos to the people who get mutts. My fiance loves mutts. I don't mind them. But chocolate labs have the majority of my heart.

I love their puppy-like zest for life and their unshakeable happiness. And how they are generally very friendly and loving dogs.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I have a Black Flat coat retriever and a Shepard/pitt bull mix. I have them because they are my loves and I rescued them from the pound. I have had my black one for 10 years and my Shepard for 6.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,161 Member
    Options
    I also have a mutt because she looked so pathetic at the shelter. She looks like a golden border collie with a little bit of yoda mixed in. The best dog I heve ever owned...so smart and well behaved.
  • williams3023
    Options
    Thats awesome I saw a little Puggle the other day...they are real cute. We have a golden retriever and a chihuahua....golden because they are great dogs and im not sure why we got the chihuahua. She's mean to about 90% of people, but she's sweet to us. They are such a funny breed of dog.
  • granmalaura
    granmalaura Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have an 8 year old Italian Spinone. She is a big ginger dog with large floppy ears and helps me with my walks and runs. It is not so lonely when you have a dog to take you for a walk.

She is by breed a gun dog although I have a menagerie of ducks and geese and my dog lays down on the grass to have a nice massage from their beaks. She never touches them and helps me feed them in the mornings.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    My now husband had a beagle when we met. He's a talker! We also have a English Mastiff. We weren't looking but as I was leafing through the paper one sunday a few years ago there she was! I have always loved big dogs, so she stole my heart. A big lazy slobbering mess with a heart of gold. We get quite the workout on walks with both of them.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted a little doggie. I was looking at Doxies, chihuahuas, and yorkies. I settled on my little guy. He's a CHORKIE! Got a mix of both. He looks more like a yorkie though. He's a whopping 5 pounds and will be 3 years old this summer. His name is Chewie after Chewbaca.

downsized_0416081725.jpg
  • seventeenlucky77
    seventeenlucky77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have 3 dogs.

First: Lula, 6 yr old pit bull mix. I rescued her when she was 8 weeks old. She was going to be euth. because of her breed in the county I got her from. This dog is the love of my life. She is the most gentle, loving, affectionate, loyal, obedient, well tempered dog that I have ever previously owned.
    lulacollarmania005.jpg

Then: Naomi, 5 yr old german shepherd, kind of on the smallish side. My husband adopted her from the local humane society before he and I ever met. She is the most hyper, disobedient, psycho dog I have ever owned..lol but I still love her.
    DukeLulaNaomi012.jpg
    (Orange dog- Duke - former foster dog)

newwwpics002.jpg
    And lastly: Charlie, almost 2 yr old doxie mix. He is a handful of love and affection. "Rescued" him from possible uncertain fate along with his brother Harley. He is a true lap dog, just wants all your attention, kisses on the face and affection, unfortunately he does not like most children or strangers and is VERY protective of my family : (.
    Charlie:
    26312_1368550207791_1052765266_1091.jpg
    Harley:
    l_4b7b10fecb5a40abbfe8cfee60eba3-1.jpg

I also have 2 cats and a turtle.
    mnj.jpg
    17347_1306790463836_1052765266_9424.jpg

I also volunteer and foster for a local animal rescue so I have had MANY MANY other dogs, cats, birds and goats that have come through my home temporarily. Nothing like having your husband come home (without me being there) to find a 20 inch goat in the living room. haha
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have an aussie shepherd X border collie called Keiko, that we found on petfinder.com. We also have 2 cats, that Keiko loves to chew on!!! Apparently the cats like it to, cause when they don't get their regular 'massage', the come looking for it!
    133563_7042.jpg?2116
    We had another border collie X that we lost due to cancer...we loved her to bits but once she was gone we thought we would be dog free and not tied down. That lasted 4 months and we HAD to go find another dog. Had to be other border collie - cause once you have had a dog that smart, nothing else will do!!!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    My girls!

Mac is a Catahoula Blue Muele (Texas Cur Dog) 80lb

Twink is a "Heinz 57" gotta love a mutt! 70lb
  • beachbaby18
    Options
    My dog is a Bichon Frise and her name is Snowwhite. I got her on my 7th birthday from my parents. They got her for me because she is a tiny dog and she doesn't shed. Anything animal that sheds I'm alergic to. I love dogs and I hope to have alot someday. But right now she is all that I need. She is so0o0o cute. I have a picture of her on my computer I'm just not sure how to put it on these things. Oh well. =/
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Three dogs at the moment:
    Rayne: JRT-rescued from animal control within hours of her being put to death.
    Heidi: tweenie Dachshund- found her wandering our neighborhood and when no one claimed her...she became family.
    Grace: Chihuahua/JRT mix- My husbands friend allowed their dog to become pregnant and Grace was the runt and last one and they were going to take her up to the animal shelter because she was no longer wanted...so I took her and we haven't spoken to those people in 2 years.

I work in rescue (have since I was 13) and we often have several fosters (all types of species) at a time...I'd love to take them all but the budget only allows for so many to be kept as ours. I will NEVER buy from a breeder, there are thousands of animals put to death each day because they are simply not wanted.
  • Sebastiansmommy
    Options
    I have a 6 year old minature American Eskimo named Pola-bear, she's so sweet and docile. Perfect for my 16 month old. We rescued her along with our other dog Floppy who passed away a couple of months ago of old age :cry: , she was a mutt. We only wanted one dog but when we went to the foster home they we're together the whole time and Floppy was older and we knew it would be harder for her to find a home (she'd been through 3 already). We're just glad she was able to spend her last years with us and at first we were worried about Pole-bear being sad, but my son has now taken the role of her best friend. Now they're unseparatable.
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have 2 spoiled Welsh Pembroke Corgis (no tail), Duke and Angel, they are both from rescue groups. The help us get out of the house everyday becuase they can't go with out a walk EVERY day. :happy:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs. Kiera is a black lab husky that my husband got from his cousin because she couldn't deal with her. We got when she was about 5 months old. she is all black with one blue eye. then we have Bodi. (Bodacious Adams) He is an AKC yellow lab. He just turned 10 months old and weighs about 85 pounds. I got him because the timing and the price were right and I needed a new friend for Kiera since she is 10 years old. (I refuse to ever be dogless) I wanted a yellow to go with her black. I think a chocolate lab is next on the list.
  • LuvinLife
    LuvinLife Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We have 4 dogs:

Ash - German Shepard/Husky mix: She followed my husband home running about 11 years ago. We took her back to the farm she came from and just said that if they ever found they didn't want her, we'd take her. He said take her and so we did. She has been an awesome dog!

Sam- Newfoundland/Retriever mix - adopted at the humane society. It just said he was a retriever mix and he was so cute. After adopting him, the vet told me he was a newfie, so I was a bit surprised. He is 6 yo now and 125lbs of love.......and hair!! My husband has since banned me from the humane society. I can't seem to walk out of there without an animal, lol.

Kacy - Boxer - My husband grew up with Boxers so we decided to get one about 3 years ago and she's wonderful. They have so much personality:)

Maggie - 6 month old Boxer, daughter of Kacy - She is my husband's pick and she's a pill. I love her, but am ready to be out of the puppy phase.
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Nice, I love Pugs! They are like big, giant dogs in tiny little packages. Did you know they were originally bread to hunt pandas?

I used to breed Rottweiler’s and love them with a passion however I have to say that the mutt of it all is really my favorite. They are just so grateful! When I stopped breading I got a mutt from the pound to keep the last Rottweiler company and she was the best. She used ride him like a pony. :laugh:
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    We have 2 silly girls Justice and Willow. Justice our blue nose pit is just a goof ball. Just a ball of love & can't wait for someone to rub her belly. She is almost a year old and my new running partner!

IMG_4645copy.jpg

Willow- is a 1 year old Presa Canary Mastiff, we just adopted her about 2 months ago and is just the perfect family member. Gentle giant doesn't begin to describe how amazing she is. She doesn't have many leash manners but she still is my walking partner.

IMG_4953copy.jpg