Sleep Eatting?/?/?/?

Options
So I have found that I have a problem and I am curious if anyone else has experienced this or has this problem too....or am I an odd duck?

So I can't sleep through the night....and like clock work I wake up around 2 AM and tend to eat, and when I eat it tends to be junk. I do awesome during the day...I eat like I have some sort of sense, but come 2 oclock I eat like I have completely lost my mind, and almost in a manor where I don't know what I am doing.

Anyone else do that or have any suggestions as to how to stop it and get myself to be able to sleep through the night. I would love and appreciate the help or thoughts.

Replies

• BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When I wake up between 2 and 4 am, I tend to just go to the bathroom, maybe then have a sip of water, and then go back to sleep.

If I can't go back to sleep, I read a book for a hour, then try to go back to bed. Failing that I write or watch bad late night TV and try to fall asleep on the couch. Sometimes I'll take a hot shower. I don't eat though and I'm not hungry. I try turn on as few lights as possible if I'm having trouble sleeping.

Are you waking up because you are hungry? Or are you waking up, getting bored and eating because you are bored?

If it's the later, you might want to check out a sleep doctor to get to the root of the problem.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So I have found that I have a problem and I am curious if anyone else has experienced this or has this problem too....or am I an odd duck?

So I can't sleep through the night....and like clock work I wake up around 2 AM and tend to eat, and when I eat it tends to be junk. I do awesome during the day...I eat like I have some sort of sense, but come 2 oclock I eat like I have completely lost my mind, and almost in a manor where I don't know what I am doing.

Anyone else do that or have any suggestions as to how to stop it and get myself to be able to sleep through the night. I would love and appreciate the help or thoughts.

Just out of sheer randomness, are you on a sleep medication like Ambien?
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Dude, that's not random at all.

Ambien made me sleepwalk.... and I'd also "sleep cook" and wake up to a hurricane in my kitchen and not have any idea what on earth happened.

No joke..... I'd "sleep COOK"....

!!!!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You should probably consult a doctor.
  • shortstuff878
    Options
    I do this all the time and what I eat is usually something like cake or cookies I have no idea how to stop but I wanted to let you know you are not the only one out there
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Oh, you know what though? When I was doing a lot of booze+pills back in the good 'ol days, I'd frequently do things without remembering them. Is that the same thing?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Ambien made me sleepwalk.... and I'd also "sleep cook" and wake up to a hurricane in my kitchen and not have any idea what on earth happened.

!!!!

^ Yep, that's why I asked as it's been known to make people do goofy things in their sleep including sleep eating.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    YOU SHOULD TOTALLY VIDEOTAPE THIS **** AND POST IT ONLINE SOUNDZ HILARIOUS
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    My sister had this problem. Honestly, what she did was keep all junk out of the house. She found she was prone to sleep eating certain foods. So, she stopped buying those foods. I do believe, she was indeed on some sort of sleep aid like Xanax or Ambien. Definitely smart to talk to a doc about it.
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When I did this, it was because I wasn't eating enough for the amount of exercising I was doing... I woke up every single night @ 2 am like clockwork feeling ravenous. Once I increased my intake during the day, it stopped.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

!!!!

^ Yep, that's why I asked as it's been known to make people do goofy things in their sleep including sleep eating.

This really happens! My doctor put me on something called Serax at night, couldn't sleep well when my kitten died, I did stuff I don't remember at all. I hate medicine.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Are you an infant? My daughter does the same thing. ^^
  • lexi4886
    Options
    I have this...its called Night eating syndrome/sleep related eating disorder. It is not a sleep disorder and sleeping pills actually made mine worse! For me, I've realized through working with a therapist that it is due to anxiety. You definitely need to talk to a doctor, because it is a VERY hard habit to break once you start (I have had it for 5 yrs now...). There are a few medications that have helped some, but I haven't had any luck.
  • spanky826
    spanky826 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post...and I may just make an appointment with my doctor :)
  • spanky826
    spanky826 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No ...would that help?