35 and Reborn!!

Options
Hi everyone! First off, I'm new to the site...just found it last Tuesday, the day of my rebirth. No I'm not talking about some religious experience, but more in the sense of starting over...going back to basics. I'm 35 and have been with my husband for half my life and have more than doubled my weight. Thank God he is supportive and accepts me for who I am. When we met I was 5'6" and 120lbs..yep, a total hottie LOL. First there was the freshman 15 and then I slowly (over the next 6 years) crept up to 160lbs, then I got pregnant with my first. I now have 3 kids and never truly lost all my weight from each pregnancy, leaving me at around 205lbs. Add 41/2 years and 25lbs, then....I decided to quit smoking...UGH!! Am soooooo glad I did, but I gained 27lbs in doing so. Bring my total to a whopping 257lbs 5'7" (yep that's not a typo, I grew and inch with my last pregnancy, one of the many changes my body went through.) Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined that I would be this FAT!! Yes! I said fat, I'm not over weight, and NO those jeans don't make me look fat, everything I wear I look fat because I AM FAT!!! It took me a long time to admit that to myself and I think that's half the battle. Just like and alcoholic or a drug addict, admitting that I had a problem was half the battle. So, last week, after truly years of, after this I will and after that I will, or how bout if you do this I will do this...and oh the excuses!!! Let me tell ya I think I used them all...I just had a baby, or I just had surgery so I have to heal, the pregnancy screwed up my body, system, hormones, etc. I don't feel good, I'm too tired, It's too expensive to eat healthy, I don't have time to exercise, (uhhhh...Hellloooo...I'm a stay at home mom...I don't have time?? yeah OK good one LOL) I have a fallen arch, my foot hurts, OH OH wait, I've got the best one ever, my back hurts!! Well DUH!! My back hurts because I'm carrying around my former self on a never ending piggy back ride lol. So as I was saying, last week I was reborn!! I decided to stop making excuses and take back control of my life and my weight. A complete and total lifestyle change. I started only shopping the perimeter of the grocery store (a suggestion made by a friend because only fresh/healthy stuff on the perimeter), unless I need a can off beans for some protein or a box of cereal for the kids, other than that I stick to the outside, and NO the end-caps don't count lol. The kids and hubby aren't real thrilled about the lack of junk food in the house, but thankfully they do like veggies, I even got my husband to eat something with broccoli in it last night, first time 17 years. I was so happy when I found this site. It helps me stay accountable for my meals and I love the support and advice from others. OK, going to get my daughter dressed and head outside for a walk. Thanks for reading my ramblings, look forwards to any remarks or advice.

Replies

• dixiemay
    dixiemay Posts: 4
    Options
    Here is a cheer for you. . . HOORAY!!
  • Newfunlander
    Newfunlander Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Welcome ! I think your story sounds exactly like mine ! A stay at home mom that got lost in a fat body and now trying to claw my way back to the old me ! This site is amazing ! There is always great advice and support from the members ! Hoping you love it here as much as I do !
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Good for you. It took me 10 yrs longer than you to get that realisation and act on it. But as they say, it's never too late... and this is true. I've been through diet many time but without lasting success. I've approached that one totally differently. As a change in lifestyle instead of simply a diet. I never thought like you that I could eventually weight over 200 lbs (I'm 5'4") but I did and with different excuses but still excuses on why I cannot loose weight, eat better and be more active.

So I'm sure you will like this site as it's full of good idea and support. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like to chat one day.

Remember something, please setup small milestones and do something nice for you when you reach them (not food related of course).

You definitely have the right attitude and mindset to be very successful.... Best of luck and I'm sure you'll be successfull.

Sylvie.
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi, I totally know where you are coming from. With the help of MFP and the great support from other users, we can do this. We just have to stay motivated and committed to reaching our goals. The only advice I can give right now is to try real hard to log in your foods every single day. It helps you to be accountable as well as stay on track. Good luck!
  • djcarsonaa
    Options
    Thanks everyone and Good Luck to you too.