Cost vs. Reward: When is enough enough

Options
Hopefully this post will make some sort of sense. At what point is it no longer worth it to lose more weight? I'm at a healthy weight but not yet at the weight where I feel most comfortable in my clothes. My diet/lifestyle will continue to be very healthy, but I'm just trying to decide when it's no longer worth it to restrict calories so much. I guess in other words: is it better to be stricter longer and at my preferred weight or just try to maintain at a healthy weight without restricting so much?
So what's your goal? What's the optimal cost vs reward ratio? I wish there was an equation to figure it out!

Replies

• schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I say continue on until you are satisfied, don't settle!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    At this point, I'm not worried about scale-weight, I'm looking at body fat percentage. I'm in a healthy "scale-weight" range and BF%, but since I'm working on building more muscle, my goals have changed. If you're comfortable in your own skin, maintain. If there is something else you want to achieve, work towards it.

Just keep in mind, "weight", like age, is just a number: it may appear to be healthy but may not be your goal. I'm not worried if I gain back 10 lbs, providing it is muscle and I've burned the fat off to "replace" it. Find your "fit".
  • GymMouse85
    Options
    I say continue on until you are satisfied, don't settle!

Unfortunately, as women I think it's in our genetic makeup to never be satisfied! Lol! But honestly, that's where the problem lies. If you are killling yourself in the gym, restricting calories and just generally unhappy because you're hungry all the time- then I would honestly say enough is enough.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You might consider starting to eat now at what you want your eventual maintenace to be. Theoretically you should continue to lose weight very slowly until you become the future you you want to be.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You might consider starting to eat now at what you want your eventual maintenace to be. Theoretically you should continue to lose weight very slowly until you become the future you you want to be.

^^^This sounds like a good idea.

Maybe you have your calories set too low. It's ok if weight loss is a slow process, sometimes that's best (if you are close to goal). You don't need to be unhappy. You can increase your calories and continue to work on your fitness.

You wouldn't want to take weight loss too far. There is always a point at which it is best to maintain and not to lose anymore. That will be different for everyone. But, even when weight loss stops, fitness continues.
  • rachelatua
    Options
    Thanks do much y'all! I really like the "eating to maintain the weight you want" idea.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

^^^^This...especially since you're already at a healthy weight. The closer you are to your goal, the less deficit you should have. For someone at an already healthy weight, eating to your ultimate maintenance goal is a fantastic idea.