exercise bike help

Options
I am thinking about getting an exercise bike, but I'm not sure where to start. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I don't want to cheap out either. I'm looking for something for moderate (daily) use. If anybody has any recommendations, I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance. Eric

Replies

• nelson1975
    nelson1975 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Go to you local sporting good store and try out a regular excercise bike and recumbent bike before you buy. I prefer the recumbent.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer Stationary. I feel that it gives me a much more rigorous workout than the ones where your sitting and peddling out in front of you. Anyway.....

It took me FOREVER to find the right bike and when I got it....I loved it. I always wanted a gym quality bike. I tried so many in the stores and never really liked them. The mechanism just felt to weird. I finally bought one from Sears (cant remember what kind, sorry) but ended up taking it back. It just didn't feel right.

I looked on Craiglist (which i highly recommend) and found my bike i have always wanted. Life Fitness. It was an older model but when it was new was about $4000. I got it for $150. No kidding. So, there are deals out there you just have to take your time to look for them. You just don't want to end up buying yourself a $500 clothes rack!!!!

For me, I would not buy anything from a local sporting goods store. I would buy from a FITNESS specialty. Again, thats just me.

Good Luck
  • hamilton040
    hamilton040 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I bought a second hand bike off Facebook for $20 has cal counter and all of that stuff, super cheap on selling sites second hand.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy the recumbent. My biggest suggestion is to make sure that the seat is as comfy as possible.. you won't use it if it makes your butt or back hurt. Once you have found a few, try them out for several minutes each.. that should help you decide.
    We have a very inexpensive recumbent and have put over 4000 miles on it. I do sit on a donut cushion though for comfort when I ride. My next one, when I have some money, will have a comfy seat and a mesh back.. man, does my back sweat on that thing!
    All the best and enjoy the bike!
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Run a search on Indoor Cycle Trainers or Indoor Cyvling Trainers and you will get some good results. These will be like the spin bikes they have at the gym, pretty decent. If you have a bicycle, you can also buy a resistance trainer that you attach to the bike and you have your own stationary bike, I have one and recommend the Cyclops Fluid Trianer, had mine for years and great for the winter time when I can't take the bike out on the actual road.
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you own a decent bike, you could get a floor trainer for pretty cheap. (Or get a bike & a trainer so it can be used all the time in/outdoors!) A HRM & bike computer can be inexpensive.

Comfort comes in a good fitted bike. No matter if it is stationary or outdoor.

Good Luck!!